IGNORED

Question about attaching top section of glove box.

Nevets

I am performing some work on the bike this weekend, and am finally getting around to installing the top part for my glove box I purchased last year. When I bought my 2003 RT-P, it was missing the top section of the glove box, presumably so they could install the second battery there. Since I do not have a battery there anymore, it makes sense that I would install this piece so as to close up the compartment.

What I observe/know:

I notice that people have tape to seal the joint between the sections.

The locking glove box lid has some soft foam/rubber on the inside, which I assume seals onto the top rim of the top section of the box.

I’m guessing that I am missing some type of fastener or such that aligns the two sections and goes into the square holes in the bottom part of the box.

How do I align the two sections properly???

There is an image attached to illustrate.. (too bad I can't paste the image directly into the message..or am I missing something obvious?) tongue.gif

832339-IMG_0253.JPG.1cc5785640c3382d9202a97458cb57a5.JPG

Stan Walker

I believe the square holes are used for attaching the outer part of the BMW stock radio holder. Not needed in your case.

When I removed the "free" radio installation kit from my '02 RT I used some screws with very wide heads to attach the top to the base. I put the screw heads inside and the nuts outside. I then covered it all up with duct tape on the outside to make it waterproof. Not too pretty but you can't see it unless you take the skins off.

HTH

Stan

I believe the square holes are used for attaching the outer part of the BMW stock radio holder. Not needed in your case.

When I removed the "free" radio installation kit from my '02 RT I used some screws with very wide heads to attach the top to the base. I put the screw heads inside and the nuts outside. I then covered it all up with duct tape on the outside to make it waterproof. Not too pretty but you can't see it unless you take the skins off.

HTH

Stan

Do the three tabs (or whatever they are called) that extend down from the top section stop against the bolts that you ran through the square holes?

Stan Walker

Do the three tabs (or whatever they are called) that extend down from the top section stop against the bolts that you ran through the square holes?

Yes, with the nuts on the outside of the tabs. Then the tape went on over that. It's been like that for years, but the duct tape is getting old and needs to be replaced, maybe I'll try electrical tape this next time.

Stan

2wheelterry

I hated the way the duct tape looked, although the factory tape was black and I was the only one who sees it. On a previous bit of work, I used black RTV silicone to attach the upper and lower halves of the box. The upside is it looks better, the downside is its a bit more work to separate the box.

Believe it or not "duct tape" is the way the two haves are sealed together from the factory!

Ken, do you have the BMW part number for the duct tape?

Just kiddin'.

I used some heavy duty (yellow!) rubber type tape I'd been hanging onto for some reason. Probably not any better than duct tape. Like usual, you guys are and endless source of good info. thumbsup.gif

Believe it or not "duct tape" is the way the two haves are sealed together from the factory!

Ken, do you have the BMW part number for the duct tape?

Just kiddin'.

I used some heavy duty (yellow!) rubber type tape I'd been hanging onto for some reason. Probably not any better than duct tape. Like usual, you guys are and endless source of good info. thumbsup.gif

Yellow tape was a bunch of crap, started to come off before I could even get the box installed. Duct tape it is. McGiver would be proud. thumbsup.gif

The old style duct tape was so inferior that it's no longer used on ducts (legally) around these parts.

I used an aluminum tape on my box seal & slapped some black paint on the parts that show.

Archived