IGNORED

Auxillary light electrical question

bmuu1max

I would like some help on an electrical problem with a set of ff50 auxillary lights I'm installing on my 97 R1100RT. I want my ff50's to come on only with my bright lights. I have found the white wire I need to tap into when the brights are on. But now for my problem, I am also running a head light modulator. I would like the headlight to modulate, but not the ff50's. Every connection I check the current is modulating, so do I have to remove the modulator or am I missing a electrical connection some where. Thanks for any help, my electrical knowledge is very limited.

Thanks Max confused.gif

Isn't the modulator plugged into the back of the light blub ? The wire up stream of the modulator should not modulate voltage just the head light sould pulse.

Just find the wire that leads to the high beam light and use it to hook up your relay to the aux lights.

Connect the wire toyour relay that will turn the FF50's on/off to the point before your modulator.

You didn't say what type of modulator you have, plug into the back of the bulb or wired in, but the basic circuit is this: White wire from the bikes high beam one/off switch to the modulator, then modulator to the high beam bulb.

You'll want to connect your relay trigger wire to the point between high beam switch white wire going to the modulator, not to the point between the modulator and the high beam bulb.

If this still isn't clear post back and I'll draw it up real quick.

Thanks for the help. I don't remember where I got the modulator, I bought it about 3 years ago. When I put the testor on the white wire which is between the switch and the modulator the testor flashes just like the head light. The modulator is between the head light bulb and the original head light plug. It seems strange to me that the intermittent current would be sent backwards through the wire to the switch, but my knowledge in electricity is very limited.

Thanks Max

When I put the testor on the white wire which is between the switch and the modulator the testor flashes just like the head light. It seems strange to me that the intermittent current would be sent backwards through the wire to the switch
Indeed. Are you sure you're just not seeing variations in the voltage as the load varies? Because the bulb is changing. Ie. - The voltage drops/rises as the current drops/rises. I'd hook you're relay for the aux. lights up at this point anyway and see what happens. I'm betting it will work.

Thanks Ken, I was wondering about the light issue. I hope to finish the hook up this weekend. Thanks again for all your help, Max.

Archived