IGNORED

1st Day of Spring on the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway

ElevenFifty

Do you have any idea how much I hate you right now?

The last of the snow just melted next to my driveway yesterday when the skies opened up and dumped a couple of inches of rain the last two days. dopeslap.gif

ElevenFifty

Temps were moderate all day - ended up in a vented jacket with a long sleave t-shirt underneath . . . there was still a shady spot or two along the Skyway with ice. Spring is in full bloom in Atlanta, but Forsythia and the occasional Daffodils were all that was out in the mountains. It was nice to be able to see through the turns on the Dragon - no leaves yet - barely any buds.

I'm jealous! Every day that I work has been gorgeous, and all my day's off have been nasty and wet, including the first day of spring.

Nice pics, I plan to be there in the end of May!

daveinatlanta
Is there a beginners slope?

Actually, I'm sort of the beginner here. I was the other Dave that David (ElevenFifty) is referring to. I've had a lot of riding experience but started up last September after a 24 year layoff. I'm still learning, with help from people like David, but these 'slopes' are fine for beginners, maybe not a Green but not a Black Diamond either. As we say, 'ride your ride' be sensible and safe and you'll be fine.

You know, I guess the Blue Ridge Parkway is a beginners slope when you stop and think about it. The curves aren't too bad, no real surprises, and you can putt along at the speed limit without interferring any worse than the RV's and rubberneckers. Also, you take take a time out every few miles at an overlook if you start scaring yourself or backing up traffic.

I started back to riding this last December and that's my goal this year--the BRP by Fall. Maybe the Dragon's Tail next year.

Dave, David, and Bob,

Are you joining us at El Paseo? We would enjoy meeting you and you can ride at your own pace or with a group. An overall good time with some of the nicest people you will meet.

-Andy

Archived