IGNORED

Top box re-key

Dietrich

confused.gif Any help someone can offer with re-keying the top box lock for a different key. Can one do it one self? Since the keys are now the lazer cut ones rather than the old tumbler locks. This is for a 2005 R1200RT. Thanks in advance.

Dietrich,

I see you're in Kitchener, ON. wave.gif My bike is the same as yours. I may have some info for you.

My top case was re-keyed by BMW tech Chuck Stryker, who was working at McBride Cycles until they shut down last year. A few years ago I started asking for Chuck at McBride's because my BMW buddies here recommended him highly. He is now working out of his own shop, Chuck's BMW.

You can reach Chuck at 416 949 5771.

His shop is at

26 Eileen Ave

North York, ON

M2N 1V4

I realize Toronto is a long way for you to go. I might be wrong, but I think re-keying the BMW lock is not a DIY job. Anyway, call Chuck and ask what he can do for you sometime when you're in the Toronto area.

the re-keying is easy. getting the lock cyclinder out is another story. Despite the excellent step by step instructions posted on this board, I ended up having to have the dealer remove the cylinder. good luck - worth a try by yourself first.

I am glad you posted this as I am in the area and its always good to know where a person can get some work done.

Dietrich,

I see you're in Kitchener, ON. wave.gif My bike is the same as yours. I may have some info for you.

My top case was re-keyed by BMW tech Chuck Stryker, who was working at McBride Cycles until they shut down last year. A few years ago I started asking for Chuck at McBride's because my BMW buddies here recommended him highly. He is now working out of his own shop, Chuck's BMW.

You can reach Chuck at 416 949 5771.

His shop is at

26 Eileen Ave

North York, ON

M2N 1V4

I realize Toronto is a long way for you to go. I might be wrong, but I think re-keying the BMW lock is not a DIY job. Anyway, call Chuck and ask what he can do for you sometime when you're in the Toronto area.

Well, I ended up taking the whole box apart and removed the lock cylinder that way. Too much work and quite the puzzle, it worked after a couple of hours. Not recommended though.

Thanks for all the advice.

Dietrich

Always nice to go to an independent. We have Jesse McGrath here in Ottawa who used to be the head mechanic at our local dealership but now he has his own shop - Premiere Cycle Service. He used to go to Australia for the winter so he could work on bikes year round (hard to believe but with the snow up here we can't ride all year).

Hey Leo,

Is this Chuck Stryker, nice handle by the way, a long haired part time bass player by any chance?

I used to know a Chuck that worked at McBrides years ago. He loves Laverdas, had a late '70's LeManns among other bikes.

I think once my warranty is up I'll be looking for someone like that.

Archived