IGNORED

Windshield Won

skyskier

My windshield “sometimes” won’t go up if it is completely down. Pressing the switch on the handlebar multiple times works to get it going sometimes, but not all the time. Pushing up very slightly on the windshield while pushing the bar button will make it go up when pushing the bar button multiple times doesn’t work. Is this a handlebar switch problem? It doesn’t seem like it would be, because if it was the handlebar switch pushing up on the screen shouldn’t make any difference. Are there limiting switches somewhere in the mechanicals at the high and low points? Could it be that the lower switch is slightly out of adjustment and slight pressure is enough to get the windshield off the switch and into motion? The handlebar switch works perfectly as long as I don’t take the windshield all the way down.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Put your ear to the cowling just forward of the windshield. Do you not hear a motor turning when it should be?

You might need to take the cowling off to see what's happening with the motor and the mechanism:

- Take off both mirrors

- then remove both sides of the tupperware,

- then remove screws that hold the cowling in place (sorry, I don't remember how many, or whether some might be torx).

- Then remove the windshield by removing four allen-head screws and lifting windshield while being careful not to drop the four rubber washers upon which the windshield rests.

- Then remove the cowling by lifting it over the lifter mechanisms (the lifter mechanism fits through the gaps between the long rubber flaps as you do this) again being careful not to knock off the four rubber washers that sit on the lifter mechanism arm where the windshield rests.

You'll now be able to see everything that's happening with the motor etc. for lifting the windshield. Turn the key to the on position and try operating the windshield motor while watching what happens.

I did all that recently while I was installing a GPS mount, and I oiled the moving parts for the windshield lifter while I had the chance.

If you happen to knock a rubber gasket off while doing this, it will fall into your nosepiece, and you'll then either have to remove the nosepiece and shake it (big pain, which I did three times dopeslap.gif) or buy new washers.

To answer one of your questions, there should be limit switches in there to stop the motor at its highest or lowest points, but I don't remember noticing them. They shouldn't prevent you from reversing the motor, once you are at a limit.

Survived-til-now

Not sure about the 1100 but on the 1150 there are two relays controlling the screen motor. Located below the motor at the very front under the cowling - and thus in a good place to get dirty connections.

Check them out first and be aware that the problem can be not the relays themselves but the muti-pin sockets they plug into. Take them out and clean the relays pins, do your best to clean the female receptors in the socket, put them in and out a few times and try it....

If the motor then works you'll have found the problem

The motor strip and internal limit switch strip is a bit of a nightmare - rule out the easy bit first

Motor does not run when the switch is pushed. I don't think it is binding anywhere in the down position. If there is a limiting strip on the 1100 like on the 1150 like "Survived_til_Now" says, I think the problem is a dead spot at the bootom of the limiting strip. I'm going to check it all out when I get home tonight.

Thanks

Good information. I will check the connections when I get home tonight. But, I fear that the problem is a dead spot in the limiting strip because lifting the windshield just the smallest amount causes everything to work normally. My guess is that the little bit of a lift gets the contact off the dead spot on the strip.

Thanks.

Survived-til-now

Hi again,

Just to clarify, on the 1150 the limit switches are inside the motor assembly --- easy to lose bits and not at all designed for home dis-assembly. If you find the relays - they are identical try swopping them around just in case one has gone - but like I said - on my bike it was the relay sockets that had dirty connections and that was the problem

Could it be that the lower switch is slightly out of adjustment and slight pressure is enough to get the windshield off the switch and into motion?
From your description of the symptoms I think that your guess above is likely correct.
If you find the relays - they are identical try swopping them around just in case one has gone - but like I said - on my bike it was the relay sockets that had dirty connections and that was the problem

I will definitely do the relay swap first. Digging into the motor doesn’t sound like what I want to do, but buying a new one sounds even worse.

Archived