IGNORED

Me or the bike?

Hoover

My guess is probably me, but I am not sure how to correct it.

The setup: I am out for a ride with a friend on twisty roads, it's a nice afternoon and there is hardly any cars on the road so we begin to pick up the pace. Nothing stupid fast, but we are moving at a very good clip. We both have the same bike, he has a few more years riding experience than myself.

The problem: As we get into the twists and turns that are allowing us to get the bikes leaned over, I begin to get a greasy feeling in the rear tire about mid-turn when on the throttle. Slow in, look through turn, lean, roll on the throttle is how I am approaching the turns (most of the time, hey nobody's perfect dopeslap.gif ).

So I alter my approach, slow in, look through the turn, ease on the throttle, past the apex of the turn then roll on more throttle, now the rear tire feels like it is spinning as I exit the turn. Once it felt as if it hooked up well and I lifted the front wheel from the pavement slightly and decided that this was not the way to approach the turns either, so I did what seemed sensible and slowed down.

My friend riding the same type machine had no issues such as this. I do not ride like this all the time, but do enjoy the twisty roads from time to time. I do not feel like I was doing anything unfamiliar to me, although that is only the second time I have been on this stretch of road.

So my guess is I was riding a bit over my skill level, even though I may not want to admit it. I am not so sure my tires may be too warn, 4500 miles on Pilot Powers I am told are rated between 5000 and 6000 miles and do show a flat groove from a long highway trip. I still have tread left before the wear bars are exposed. Perhaps a bit of both?

What could I have done differently?

russell_bynum

The Pilot Powers are a pretty amazing tire. They should provide way more grip than you'd ever need on the street.

4500 miles seems like a bunch for those tires, though. If they're squared off, that's going to change the way they respond while leaned, and may well be the source of what you're feeling.

I suggest new tires.

steve.foote

Throttle control.

I'm assuming that you moved straight from the 1100RT to the K1200S in a single leap. While tires may be part of the problem, I'm putting my money on the extra 77hp and 30ft. lbs. of torque between your knees.

Lineareagle

My guess is the tires.

Square tires can feel unstable particularly if your lean angle is going in and out of the flat area, feels squirmy because you are rolling over the interface all the time.

I had the same feel, if you increase and maintain the lean angle it will stabilize and feel fine then when you come back upright you will feel the squirm and stabilize again.

If you are coming out and simultaneously hit a bump it will be very uncomfortable, double wammy.

How much chicken strip is showing? The unridden part of the tire between the side wall and the tread? It will give you an idea of exactly how far over you are leaning. You might be surprised how little you really are leaning over!

Calvin  (no socks)

What was the temperature? road/tires

How many miles on the bike?

They will spin em up...

I haven't spun the rear yet...On 1200s = throttle control....

+ fear factor... eek.gif

Throttle control.

I'm assuming that you moved straight from the 1100RT to the K1200S in a single leap. While tires may be part of the problem, I'm putting my money on the extra 77hp and 30ft. lbs. of torque between your knees.

Yea, I guessed as much too. Yes moved right to the "S". Spent a small amount of time of the sv650s of my wife while I was waiting for the S to arrive, but pretty much straight there from the RT.

What was the temperature? road/tires

How many miles on the bike?

They will spin em up...

I haven't spun the rear yet...On 1200s = throttle control....

+ fear factor... eek.gif

Temp was in the low 70's. 4500 miles on the bike. Someone asked how much "chicken strip" is left, about 1/4 inch. I am not getting all the way over, but as I said, I don't ride this aggressively all that often...

Definitely think the tires are a big part of the problem (although as several suggested I am sure my right wrist is part of it as well grin.gif). I slipped a bit today just coming up my street (the neighborhood is still really gravelly, if that is a word, out here from all the crap they throw down for traction in snow storms), and after checking them in the garage, the wear bars are a bit closer than I originally thought...

tom collins

one more thought. tires - definitely. also, the bike is fuel injected and injection tends to be a little abrupt at certain times which combined with worn rubber can make things scarry. the next time up, try one gear higher (4 vs 3) in the turn and your power delivery won't be so intense, the torque will pull you through and the fuel injection will seem smoother and more controlable. when you get new tires (after breakin), you may be able to gear down again.

just a thought.

tom collins

It is a common misjudgment to assume that if the guy ahead of you can make the turn, you can too. It's no more true if you are riding the same brand, model, and year of bikes. Tires, shocks, engine performance, etc. all have a bearing on how you and the bike corner.

What really counts is cornering skill, and that's a personal matter. Your technique of "slow, look, lean & roll" is good, but you didn't mention anything about your cornering line, your body position, what gear you were in, and so forth.

Just a small change in line makes a big difference in traction and steering feedback. Likewise, smooth throttle control and smooth throttle/brake transitions are important to maintaining traction.

And, even if you think you were following the lead rider's line and throttle technique precisely, that's a mistake because watching the other guy takes your attention off what you are doing. You need to be focusing on your own cornering, not just trying to clone someone else.

My advice, when cornering in a "group" situation, is to drop back at least one turn, which helps you ignore the tail light ahead, focus on your own cornering tactics, and keep your bike under control. If that means you arrive 30 seconds later, you still had a good ride on the bike, rather than an expensive ride in the medic van.

pmdave

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have the same issue when you ride by yourself? I found when I first began riding with other folks, that my curvy riding was not going well. It turns out that I was fixating on the guy in front of me, instead of my riding. Once I broke the link to the bike in front of me, it went better again.

Hey Greg,

I went from an RT to a K1200S and it has taken the better part of a year and 15,000 + miles to get used to this bike. I think it is a combination of the raw power, throttle sensitivity and worn tires. The K12S is a real handful to ride and it takes a lot of patience and practice to master this bike. The throttle is very sensitive and requires a light touch as I am sure you know. I am just now getting comfortable with riding it but am a long ways from mastering it. Keep riding practicing and trying new things and in time I think you will get in sync with your bike. It is definitely a big switch going from the RT to the K12S.

My 2 cents worth.

Cheers!

Archived