IGNORED

Anyone know...

Peter W

...what size allen wrench is needed to take off the transmission drain plug on a 2000 K12RS? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

My Clymer's won't tell.

Thanks in advance.

Pete

ShovelStrokeEd

12 or 14mm probably. Buy one of each, but get good ones. This is NOT the place you want a sloppy fit. I tap mine up into the hole after blowing it out with compressed air to make sure it is fully seated and then apply the persuader du jour. Years ago, I had some quality hex wrenches that I cut down to about 1.5" long with a zizz wheel. I use these with standard 6 point sockets instead of using a hex socket set.

Thanks. Can't be 12mm since I special ordered one of those a while back and it's too small. I'll order a 14mm and see if it fits.

On the advice of our own ELP-JC I picked up a cheepy allen socket 3 pack (12, 14, 16mm?) from Auto Zone.

Note that I have a 03GT so I don't know if 14mm is the size you need.

ShovelStrokeEd

Real quick and easy check. Take a 3/8" hex head cap screw and try to put it in the hole. The distance across the flats is 9/16" which is very close to 14mm. Don't get clever, it is actually not a perfect fit. Ditto BTW, for 12 and 16. A 5/16 HHCS will want to go into the 12mm but just won't, quite, and a 1/2" HHCS, which has a 5/8" head will be a similar fit in a 16mm.

For you guys who started to bugger the 14mm, 9/16 is actually 1/4mm larger and can probably be driven in there.

James Clark
. . . and a 1/2" HHCS, which has a 5/8" head will be a similar fit in a 16mm.

3/4" (approximately 19mm) is the standard hex size for a 1/2" screw.

Archived