IGNORED

'06 GT seat??

mrpete

It has come to my attention that the seat(s) on the '07 GT's are MUCH more confortable. Any insights into this would be appreciated. After riding 7,556 miles from New York to Utah and back I am tired of having my gonads compressed against the tank.

Apparently the rider pan, foam type and shape, the connection to the pillion and the shape of the pillion are completely different on the latest runs of the 2007 model year. They can only be retrofitted as a pair on an '06. Obviously BMW decided something was less than optimal with the original design.

However, its just as obvious that their intention is to treat this issue as a case of a manufacturer making a normal upgrade/improvement to a part rather than as addressing a known problem. If history repeats, any action will most likely be on an individual basis rather than a general "recall".

There is a small effort to initiate an email campaign by '06 owners over on K-bikes to have BMW more directly address the situation of upgrades to the new design for owners of the old design. Many want free seats, I'd be happy with "assistance". I've sent off my email of displeasure to BMWNA but I'm not holding my breath.

edit - nevermind, just saw your other post on k-bikes, you've already got it figured out grin.gif

It has come to my attention that the seat(s) on the '07 GT's are MUCH more confortable. Any insights into this would be appreciated. After riding 7,556 miles from New York to Utah and back I am tired of having my gonads compressed against the tank.

Some '07s. Mine's an early '07 model and I certainly hope it isn't the newer, more comfortable one cause it sure doesn't feel like it. I'm still evaluating which aftermarket seat to migrate to.

I'm still evaluating which aftermarket seat to migrate to.
Well, you've got two Mayer offerings, Corbin, Sargent, Contour, Russell, CeeBailey's and a couple of local one offs.

Rick Mayer and the Russell are similar, Rocky Mayer's is a moulded offering. All seem better suited to long legged riders. Contour doesn't really reshape the seating area and as well seems best for longer legs. All of these require your pan and I believe will retain factory heat if asked.

Don't know about CeeBailey, but looks sorta similar to Rick Mayer's.

Corbin makes its own, infamous, fiberglass pans in two heights but the shape works best only with their pillion - so you should buy both for a clean look - expensive...last I looked, heat was not an option.

Sargent also makes their own pan...injection-molded PolyTec with a compartment underneath, works with the stock pillion and they provide a matching DIY pillion cover if you want. They provide a stock height and a low option that's lower than the low stock seat...heated is optional.

I have a heated, low Sargent on order ... fingers crossed .... grin.gif

I'm still evaluating which aftermarket seat to migrate to.
Well, you've got two Mayer offerings, Corbin, Sargent, Contour, Russell, CeeBailey's and a couple of local one offs.

Rick Mayer and the Russell are similar, Rocky Mayer's is a moulded offering. All seem better suited to long legged riders. Contour doesn't really reshape the seating area and as well seems best for longer legs. All of these require your pan and I believe will retain factory heat if asked.

Don't know about CeeBailey, but looks sorta similar to Rick Mayer's.

Corbin makes its own, infamous, fiberglass pans in two heights but the shape works best only with their pillion - so you should buy both for a clean look - expensive...last I looked, heat was not an option.

Sargent also makes their own pan...injection-molded PolyTec with a compartment underneath, works with the stock pillion and they provide a matching DIY pillion cover if you want. They provide a stock height and a low option that's lower than the low stock seat...heated is optional.

I have a heated, low Sargent on order ... fingers crossed .... grin.gif

I had a Sargent on my RT as well as a Rick Meyer (still have the RM gathering dust!). I'm anxious to read some reviews on the new Sargent. Heating is important (I sure did use it these last few months!) though I see that the Sargent plug is proprietary and will require mods to your existing plug.

IMO, the jury is still out on aftermarket seats for the GT2.

... though I see that the Sargent plug is proprietary and will require mods to your existing plug.
Its a non-issue for me ... less than 3 minutes to do. Sargent supplies both ends of their plug so you can go back to the stock seat if you want.

Archived