IGNORED

Autocom & Shoei X-11 (or other Shoeis in General)?

Ben_Ricci

Has anyone placed Autocom speakers in a Shoei X-11 with a reasonable degree of success? I tried to find a spot where both my ears and the speakers could both be accommodated without much luck. I can tolerate the speakers when they are near the top of the little ear pocket, but it seriously diminishes the fidelity of the speakers. I just want to confirm I’m not missing any placement tricks.

I planned to use the Autocom mainly to communicate with my wife during two-up riding. She’s ready for a new helmet, so I may just end up buying two and dedicate them to the Autocom. I’ll use my X-11 for solo rides. It fits too well and I wasn’t all that keen on always having a pigtail hanging from the side of my helmet.

Is there a Shoei model that is particularly suited to Autocom? I plan to visit my dealer tomorrow for his and hers lids. Thanks for your tips.

Aluminum_Butt

I'm curious - are you removing the liner and placing the speakers behind it? Or trying to put the speakers between the liner and your ear?

I tried the latter and it was very uncomfortable. Once I pulled the liner out I found more space where the speaker could sit. I was able to easily get the speakers near the bottom of the ear pocket (where I need them).

I'm using a Starcom and a Shoei Z-II, so YMMV.

I have the speakers mounted sideways, low, and forward on the RF-1000. The wires go back and are tucked under the shell between the foam. If they are mounted too high it's uncomfortable. BTW, I have a pretty tight fit on mine... just the way I like it.

It appears as though the ear pocket on the X-11 is approximately the same dimensions as the Autocom speaker. There is no lining at that point, only foam, then the shell. When the speakers are lower and behind the lining (partly) it's killer getting the helmet past my ears. bncry.gif

markgoodrich

yeah,I've done everthing short of taking a dremel to the helmet. I've compressed the hard foam with a screwdriver handle, but was never able to get any comfort or decent sound. I've got a significant hearing deficit in one ear, and found the ideal solution was to have custom molded earphones made, and bought the Autocom accessory lead that allows their use (another $40-odd bucks). Works great for me. My wife never had any problem with the ear speakers and discomfort or sound in her X-11, but she's also using earphones now, because the sound is so much better.

The earphones aren't for everyone, but I like them. I have Westone brand, made specifically for helmet use. I tried several others before settling on the Westones.

Ben,

I purchased an X-11 last fall to replace my RF-800. Mounting the Autocom in the RF-800 wasn't so bad, but I had to compress some of the EPS foam to get everything to fit just right. As you noted, positioning is important for best sound quality.

I haven't switched the headset over the X-11 yet, but it looks like it will be more difficult. The ear pocket seems tighter on the X-11, so I'd have to compress a lot more foam to make it fit right.

I'm thinking of using this as an excuse to buy a reasonably priced flip-face helmet like the Caberg Justissimo to use for two-up riding and install the Autocom in that. I would keep the X-11 as my primary helmet since it fits me like a glove.

Dave

I'm thinking of using this as an excuse to buy a reasonably priced flip-face helmet like the Caberg Justissimo to use for two-up riding and install the Autocom in that. I would keep the X-11 as my primary helmet since it fits me like a glove.

Be aware that the Justissimo has ABSOLUTELY NO EAR POCKETS!!! We have had discussions with the importer about this and have told them that under no circumstances will we consider stocking their helmet until it does.

I have a X-11 and this is what I did.

I put the helmet on, used an ink pen to pinpoint my ear center on the helmet EPS. Then I centered the speakers over the marks and outlined them on the EPS. An xacto knife and some patience later, I have very nice pockets to place my autocom speakers in. I then hot glued Velcro loop into the sockets and arranged the wiring under the liner.

Eckhard Grohe

I have an RF1000 and carved foam out to get the speakers in behind the plastic sheet and then cut holes in the plastic sheet where the ears are. Sounds much loader that it did in my ARAI.

Be aware that the Justissimo has ABSOLUTELY NO EAR POCKETS!!! We have had discussions with the importer about this and have told them that under no circumstances will we consider stocking their helmet until it does.

My wife has a Justissimo. There ARE ear pockets in the EPS foam. The removable liner covers over them. If you remove the liner, you'll see them. You can also feel them through the liner. However, they are not as deep as the Schuberth, if that's what you're comparing it with.

Dave

I fitted the Autocom speakers to the Shoei Raid and much to the apparent annoyance of Autocom Tom, I used a small soldering iron to melt out enough space to house the speakers in flush with the expanded polystyrene. They are fitted in the perfect spot (a bit luck & a bit guestimation!) and since this was my third attemp, the comfort is as per the helmet without the speakers. (NOTE: Whilst my ears are not exessively large, I do need virstually all of the space the "ear pockets" on the helmet provide)

My ears too got bothered by the speakers before the soldering iron efforts. In total I maybe took out say 6mm, which if this detracts from the helmets' protective function more than the personal discomfort causes my distraction then I'll live with that acknowledged risk. smirk.gif

I find my ears get the brunt of the force of placing a helment over my head, but one tip I could offer is that i use the little thin neck tube (£3-4) and place this over my complete head, (almost like a balaclava)it keeps the inners of the helmet clean and most importantly, I can remove and put on the helmet as many time as I wish without bothering my ears. thumbsup.gif

Good luck

I put the helmet on, used an ink pen to pinpoint my ear center on the helmet EPS.

Sorry. EPS stands for...

I put the helmet on, used an ink pen to pinpoint my ear center on the helmet EPS.

Sorry. EPS stands for...

Expanded polystyrene. Similar to styrofoam, it's made from blowing/heating up little beads of polystyrene plastic until they fuse together into a rigid foam. It's the stuff in between the helmet shell and liner which absorbs impact energy by (permanently) deforming under compression.

Dave

I have Shoei X-9 and had no trouble installing the autocom speakers. Used a soldering iron and exacto knife to fit the speakers in the foam.

JustBeeming

Get some custom speaker/ear plugs for multi purpose....i-pod, autocom, sound elimination etc.

Spendy but worth it. thumbsup.gif

not that this matters as your using an x-11 but the speakers fit fine in the multitech. hope u get it worked out.

Actually, it matters quite a bit. I'm seriously considering getting two Multitechs and keeping my X-11 intact and just using earpiece speakers connected directly to my phone using it as a mp3 player/navigation unit as I don't have a reason to talk on a phone when I'm riding solo and obviously I won't be talking to a passenger.

I stopped at the dealer yesterday to pick up one of the new Olympia Motosports neon vests and spent a few moments checking out other Shoeis: Multitech, RF-1000 and the TZ-R--which all seem to have the same ear pockets. They also appeared to be a wee bit deeper than the X-11 (didn't have my helmet with me and the dealer didn't have an X-11 on display confused.gif). I'll investigate further and report back.

(Not opposed to carving out pockets in the X-11 and appreciate those suggestions. But my wife needs a new helmet and it opens the door to other options grin.gif).

Archived