IGNORED

GXM 30 Mount Location

MarkEngland

MarkEngland

Attached is a where I have mounted my GXM 30 antenna for my Garmin 2820. I read that some have mounted under plastic and it worked fine.

Before I button up the bike, I thought I would check to see if anyone thinks my antenna mount locaton might not work.

Thanks

Mark

825635-a.jpg.0005bec0a5736ccac0b46bb680930538.jpg

Mark, very creative location! I mounted mine here...

r12rtworkingpics006mg9.th.jpg

I would be very interested to hear what kind of reception you get, as I'm sure many others would be as well!!

Jim

I would suggest you contact Garmin Tech. support.1-800-800-1020. I talked to them and they recommended, for best reception, it not be mounted under plastic. I also would like to hear from those who have mounted it under the fairing. confused.gif

Lets_Play_Two
I would suggest you contact Garmin Tech. support.1-800-800-1020. I talked to them and they recommended, for best reception, it not be mounted under plastic. I also would like to hear from those who have mounted it under the fairing. confused.gif

Given the fact that HEAVY overcast and trees can block the signal, I would think putting it under the fairing would be less than optimal.

MarkEngland

Yes I agree, my mounting spot is about as dumb as they come, but I think I will try it (I can always switch to MP3 mode if I loose signal). I can move it very easy to my BMR shelf without removing any plastic, so that is good.

Note: I did happen to ask Garmin about it when I called about another issue a few weeks ago and the person stated that he thought riding in a north direction, I will loose all signal (thats not good). He said his GXM30 only gets about 75% through his wall and it is facing dead south.

I will update this thread after I try it.

Thanks

Mark

OldBoldPilot

Note: I did happen to ask Garmin about it when I called about another issue a few weeks ago and the person stated that he thought riding in a north direction, I will loose all signal (thats not good). He said his GXM30 only gets about 75% through his wall and it is facing dead south.

Thanks

Mark

That is interesting. I usually lose signal when I'm headed north (I'm in California). I had heard that that happens, and it isn't a mounting issue. Anyone know why?

Philip

Chuck Hatcher
That is interesting. I usually lose signal when I'm headed north (I'm in California). I had heard that that happens, and it isn't a mounting issue. Anyone know why?

Because your body is blocking the signal from the southern sky? Mount the antenna behind you and maybe you'll lose signal when riding south instead.

Archived