IGNORED

Full Remus system for 12RT...

jakfrost

Well it finally came in and I picked up my 'full Remus Titanium system for the R1200RT on Friday nite. I have just spent a frustrating 2hrs trying to mount it on the bike.

1. You might as well remove all the side panels first as last in order to find the picky little release snaps on the O2 sensors.

2. The exhaust system 'reciever' tab at the center stand is too high and you have to pull down hard on the exhaust to get the 'hanger bracket' in place.

3. The replacement 'hanger bracket' at the center stand is too long and it is impossible to get it in between the exhaust 'tab' and the 'hanger bracket'.

4. There seems to be a part missing between the end of the exhaust at the center stand area and the muffler....

5. There is nothing provided to attach the muffler to the bike?!?

6. Cost for this...$ 1,526.11, so far. And thats with my 10% discount frown.gif

I am ready to pack up the whole mess and return it to the dealer.

Any suggestions or someone who has installed this on their RT with more success than me??

Jim

Jack:

Be patient, you will sooner than later figure it out.

Trust me in that it will be worth the effort.

I have an R1200R, and usally I don't touch my bikes, but

dealer was so busy here in guate that I installed the headers and can myself.

I got mine from San Jose bmw, and Julia sent me some parts that she discovered were needed and not listed. Excellent!

It really is a wonderful setup!!!

Thanks for the reply...I'm sure the parts are available, my main concern is the fact that the headers seem to have too much 'curve' in them from the exhaust flange back, causing them to come up tight under the center 'hanger' mounting point. Not sure how to deal with that. I guess I could heat them and try to 'ease' off on the bend a little but seems like for that kind of money they should fit properly.

Kinda discouraged at this point. Not what I expected and no one had mentioned any kind of fitment issues that I could find on this board anyway. Thought I had done my homework tongue.gif.

Looks like lots of work ahead yet...

Jim

The full kit fit my R12ST. The only difference should be that you have more tupperware. I think I tweaked the metal bushing that mounts the can to the passenger peg but that was it. Everything else went on without any problems.

And wow that's a lot of money. Is the header titanium too????

EDIT: wait. I see you are in Canada.

Jim,

Remus R1200RT / ST exhaust system

You require 3 main parts to make the complete Remus exhaust system

1. Header P/N 0101 088005

2. Stainless Connector (fits between header & muffler / silencer / can ) P/N 0105 088005

3. Muffler / silencer / can P/N whichever you decide on

check

http://216.218.175.10/epages/Store.store.../ST%20Brochure"

and download brochure

Harold

Firefight911
Any suggestions
pack up the whole mess and return it to the dealer

Sorry, couldn't resist!

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

You're at least predictable!!!!! wave.gifwave.gif

Thanks Harold, at least I have a part # to complete one piece of the puzzle...not sure where the muffler support bracket is supposed to come into the picture as far as part #'s go but mabye the dealer will know.

I am more concerned at this point about how I am going to get the headers to line up with the center hanger point under the center stand. Some creative machining I suppose.

Must say that even though it might be for different reasons, Ken and I are pretty close to the same line of thinking at this point grin.gif

Jim

I don't know what to say. Mine went on as slick as a whistle.

Check and make sure that you were shipped the right part/kit number. Might be that a GS header was thrown in to the box.

Some list a different part number for the GS vs the RT/ST system.

Good luck.

Thanks Tim, now that could be the key to the puzzle...wrong header altogether!! That would explain the poor fit I'm sure.

So maybe I have to wait another 6 weeks to get the right parts, grrrr.

Jim

Any suggestions
pack up the whole mess and return it to the dealer

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Please don't return it. You'll gain 6 hp and 6 lbs torque and that's on a top getting rid of that vibration between 4-5K rpm. I am not even going into nice engine sound issue yet.

I promise you won't be dissapointed.

thumbsup.gif

lmao.gif

I know 2 guys who installed full systems and they went on very easily. If you are having that much trouble, and if the shape of the headers isn't pretty much the same as the stock setup, you've got the wrong part. Send them back and get the right parts - they will go on easily and you will be happy with the end result.

Yea, spoke the the dealer a couple of times today...they were trying to get in touch with their supplier, he was out of the office of course..., to see if he mixed up the headers. The missing pieces, connector and hanger for the muffler are just a matter of re-ordering. The tab on the headers, to connect to the center stand area hanger, is just 1/4" too high and 1/4" to far forward to make the connection properly. I could force the headers down with a pry bar and make it work but that would put a lot of stress on the exaust flange area and on the hanger support. Not the way it should be thats for sure.

Sucks being in a country where it seems to take 4-6 weeks to get anything more exotic than an oil filter or tires, and then having to 're-order' tongue.gif.

Jim

grasslander
The tab on the headers, to connect to the center stand area hanger, is just 1/4" too high and 1/4" to far forward to make the connection properly. I could force the headers down with a pry bar and make it work but that would put a lot of stress on the exaust flange area and on the hanger support.

When I did the full system on my R12ST (pretty much the same as your RT) nothing required me to use force for the install. Nice easy 40 minute install. I did have trouble finding the supplied under engine/gear box hanger. It was well hidden in layers of bubble wrap. I'm betting wrong header...

My Remus came with a bracket with a rubber mount that bolted to the tab welded onto the header pipe. The rubber mount slid into the mounting post on the bottom of the engine. Do you have the bracket with the rubber tube in it? More missing parts?

I really like my Remus, both with and without the silencer tube in. By the way, the header and mid pipe are stainless. The mufflers come in titanium, aluminum and carbon fiber...

Buckster

Just got back from 8 days on the road...message from the dealer saying bring back everything except the muffler. Its all the wrong parts.

Thats the first thing that has made sense since I tried to install the headers. Yes I had the little rubber mounted hanger bracket but the tab on the headers was in the wrong place...and some other parts were missing, like the collector pipe and the muffler hanger bracket.

So off to the dealer ( 200kms round trip...)(again), to see what they have to offer in the way of 'correct' parts'.

Jim

Archived