IGNORED

Tank Bag on plastic

milesandmiles

milesandmiles

Looking for a Tank Bag for my R1100RT-P but it's all plastic up there. Is there one that uses elastic straps, or maybe a magnet so powerful it's attracted to the engine block? dopeslap.gif

I missed a real good deal on a magnetic tankbag (free) because I didn't know about gluing super magnets inside my plastic on the RT.

Get some "super" magnets also know as rare earth magnets. Won't ever blow off.

Go with a 'strap-on', which are mfg by most manufacturers, since the 1100 will not accept magnetic no matter how powerful the magnets are. BMW OEM bags are overpriced IMHO. wayne

milesandmiles

I just googled "rare earth magnets" and it was interesting reading. Neodymium-Iron-Boron is quite a product, but glueing them inside the tupperware to reliably withstand heat and vibration upsidedown might be an issue, or maybe not? I'll look into the strap models, though, to see what's available, thanks.

Wouldn't it be easier to just get a BigMak bag?

http://www.bigmakaccess.com/

These bags seem to be one of the more popular tankbag options for the RT, and they're pretty flexible, since they're somewhat modular.

It flips up for easy refueling, slips off the base quickly for lunch or overnght stops, and since it doesn't touch the plastic atall there's no worry about scratching the paint.

Jerry Johnston

The magnets would probably work fine but they attract anything else metallic also and can scratch hell out of your tupper ware if you don't see it in time. I would highly recommend the strap-on kind.

I like the BigMak setup, Very high quality. The owner is a rider and BMW enthusiast. Beyond that the convenience when fueling is priceless.

Regards, RTFink

SW-Motech makes some bags that attach mechanically to a ring that you mount to the neck of the fuel tank cap. I bought one of their cheapest bags off eBay so that I could canibalize the mount and use it on a Marsee tank bag (20 liter Teardrop). Works great, and since I got the Marsee on eBay too, at a good price, the whole setup cost less than buying just the Marsee at retail.

I guess I'm going to have to change my Avatar, it seems to be popular. Anyway, I mounted my tank bag with 4 straps, one in each corner. I used the nylon webbing straps that were provided with the bag and melted holes in them with a soldering iron. I then used the 2 screws at the front of the tank on my '04 RT and the 2 screws at the rear of the tank under the seat to attach the straps. This way I can use quick disconnects to remove the tank bag when I leave the bike or flip the tank onto the seat to fill the tank.

Archived