IGNORED

Thoughts on Nolan helmet....

MattP

I currently have an HJC flip-face that has served me well for about 4 years. Was in a shop today and the Nolan N-102 flip face caught my eye. Seems well-made with lots of nice features (buckle type chinstrap, sunshade/sheild combo). It also reminded me of how tired my trusty HJC has gotten! The Nolan was $284 at the shop, already found it cheaper online. Any thoughts on this or a comparable replcament? I'm not dead set on a flip face but I kind of like the convenience. All thoughts are appreciated. THANKS!!! wave.gif

I have a Nolan. The quality is very good for a $200 helmet. The face shield comes off fairly easy which I have read some helmets can be a PITA to remove it. Customer service is top notch.

The liner is easily removed for cleaning. The chin bar lifts easily with one hand. Ventilation is pretty good. The "Microlock retention system" is nice too (no D rings). The flip up chin bar makes it easier for those of use that wear glasses

I do find the helmet is somewhat noisey, but I would imagine most modulars are. At first it was a little uncomfortable as it needed to break in. I think it is 1/2 size too small, but it is comfortable now.

It would be nice to have the internal 'drop down' sunvisor. If I got another nolan, I would get the next model or 2 up since it has the visor.

$190 + free shipping here

I tried on the N102 but none of the sizes felt comfortable--it seems to be made more for round rather egg-shaped heads. I am an egg-head dopeslap.gif . So I bought the N100E (fit me great) for $100 LESS and am very happy with it. Came with the pinlock fog guard system that works great! Paid $179 at local BMW dealer. Sometimes NEW isn't necesarily progress.

I have the 102 and am very happy with it...make sure you get the one with the blue tooth slot in the jaw (even if you don't need it right now why not). The exterior sun shade is very useful and overall I find it quiet enough (I do wear earplugs).

Enjoy!!

I've had my N-102 for about a year, or so, and like it a lot. I'm a glasses wearer, however. With the help of this board, it was fairly easy to "Autocom" - easier than my Arai Astral. It is comfortable, sun shield works well, and is reasonably light weight. It is my first flip helmet and is definately noisier at highway speeds. I'd probably buy another, though.

I've had Nolan helmets in the past and I thought they were pretty good for the money until I bought an Arai, RX-7 to be exact.

I never saw myself spending six bills on a helmet, but aside from quality and finish, the Arai fits my head shape like no other helmet I've tried. The fit is what really sold me..

thumbsup.gif

Crazy_Canuck

I had my Nolan 102 for about a year. I traded up from a HJC helmet and there was no comparison, the Nolan was much better. Rachet chin strap (no D rings), Sun visor\shield and great antifog sheild that works fantastic. I would definately buy another one. thumbsup.gif

I am just now starting to use my new N-102. It is my third Nolan. I have had two previous N-100's, and have been VERY pleased with each. I put about 60k each on the N-100's, both of them are still useable, just worn out. Worn out in my case means banged up from falling off of where ever I set it down. The hinges and mechanicals are all still solid and functioning. I think the 102's venting is going to work a bit better than the 100's did. The center open is certainly nicer. I don't know yet if I am going to like the VPS sun shade? It may turn out to be something that I don't use much. I like to ride with the shield open. My thoughts at this point are that the sun visor is something I will use when it is really hot, just to help keep the sun off my face. I have contacted Nolan for parts 3 times. Once each for the N-100's. A top shield gasket on one, and lost shield lock pin on the other. The top shield gasket on my N-102 was deformed when I got the helmet. In each case they shipped the parts to me right away at no charge. Highly recomended.

The micro-click buckle is the best I've ever used. You can attach it even with the most bulky gloves. I have a concept with the internal sun shade, but the external of the nolan works just as well if not better. Overall I'd by another nolan when this one wears out.

I liked mine on the RT out of the air but it was quite loud in the wind. Fits my goober (long front to back) shaped head comfortably and the buckle is great. Also in the cheap mode like the AGV Miglia comfort and quiet wise but the strap system leaves much to be desired.

I've got an N102 and find it to be very comfortable. I've got a fairly large nut (hat size 7-5/8, Nolan XL). I find this to be the best fitting helmet I've ever had. I suppose it's just a head shape thing but I'm pleased.

I have a N102 and like it even if it is a snug fit. Have a full face HJC as well which is larger but otherwise not a comparison.

The external sunshade I do not really see much use for. Only in a weather conditon where wearing sunglasses is impractical and the sun suddenly pops out have i used it.

It is quieter than the HJC.

h

I have a HJC sy-max flip up helmet and traded up to a Nolan 100 [dealer had the Nolan for 1/2 price last wk of Dec].

Should of saved the $$$ and bought another HJC at full pricedopeslap.gif

HJC is much quietier, has a bigger opening for the faceshield and fits my noggin better too. Maybe I'll get used to it - but I rode with the HJC today and was noticibly quietier and more comfortable.

Does Nolan make a helmet for a long oval head shape?

I don't think so. That's how I'd describe my head and I haven't found a Nolan that felt right yet.

Archived