IGNORED

Jump Start my Bike?

AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser

Trying to start my RT in 8 degree temps a few weeks ago got me thinking...

Is it possible to jump start my bike? If so, what's the best procedure?

Cheers,

Steve in So Cal

I've had to jump GelStra a few times. Off the POS truck, same as a car. The battery terminals are a PITA to clamp on to on the GS being so close to the tank, though.

BTDT on my GS, using the same procedure as jumping a car (jumper cable from + of good battery first to + of dead bike battery, then - of good battery to grounded metal on the bike -- easier to find on the GS without all that purty tupperware wink.gif).

Steve

You can jump start your bike. I killed my battery up on PCH at a restaurant on a Sunday morning. It is not easy and takes some good hard pushing by a couple of guys. I think I put it in 5th or 6th gear and bumped it off.

The R1200RT manual states the -ve of the good battery goes to the -ve on the bike battery. confused.gif

I haven't tried to jump start the R12RT but in jump starting other vehicles I have always gone to grounded metal.

Yep. My buddy and me tried pushing and could not get her started. Then my buddy and a helpful stranger came to our aid. On or about the second or third time Ruby started. It was not easy but it is doable. Brawn triumphed over brains in this situation

The R1200RT manual states the -ve of the good battery goes to the -ve on the bike battery. confused.gif

I haven't tried to jump start the R12RT but in jump starting other vehicles I have always gone to grounded metal.

Who reads the manual? grin.gif

My bike and I both survived to ride another day (and then some). thumbsup.gif

Steves,

Right out of the manual it says that jumpstarting is OK.

Run engine of donor vehicle.

Do not disconnect your battery from the onboard electronics.

Other than that, make sure it's a 12v system and have at it!

AD

Paul Mihalka
Run engine of donor vehicle.
The way I understand it you do NOT run the engine of the donor. Hitting the starter with the donor engine running may cause a voltage spike from the donor's alternator. Electronics don't like that. Just connect battery to battery and go for it.
Trying to start my RT in 8 degree temps a few weeks ago got me thinking...

Is it possible to jump start my bike? If so, what's the best procedure?

Cheers,

Steve in So Cal

I know you can push/bump start if your battery is not totally dead, however it wont always work. I had to do it on the old RT with Fernando helping me out when there wasn't enough juice for it to crank the engine, but it did have enough juice to power up the fuel pump. If your battery is completely dead I don't think the push/bump start will work because there's no juice flowing to the fuel pump to supply the gas for the bump/push start.

The advise from Paul about not starting the other motor is spot on. I made that mistake once...(insert pause here)...once.

If I know I'm going on an overnighter with cold temps I usually bring the small BMW battery charger with me as a backup in my tool kit just in case all else fails.

I remember seeing some small motorcycle jumper cables that could also be carried in a tool kit, but the way these batteries get buried on the new bikes it might be a pain to get the cables attached, especially if it's located under the gas tank as they sometimes do.

Paul,

Hey, right out of the manual, page 122....

"Run the engine of the donor vehicle during jump-starting."

Me? I think I'd just leave it off should I have to do a jump start, for the same reasons as you, mainly to keep the transients to a minimum.

Perhaps they're thinking that the donor vehicle's charging system will assist with the start???

AD

Archived