IGNORED

HJC AC-12 Carbon Helmet Just Received

marcopolo

After reading the excited thread here last week about a member of this board receiving a new HJC AC-12 Carbon helmet as a gift, I investigated this helmet and went out and ordered one for myself. I wanted a new helmet before getting an Autocom system installed, and it was time to replace my Arai Quantum/f in any event. Whatever I bought, I definitely wanted a helmet that had a system for changing shields that was a lot easier than Arai's cumbersome one. The new HJC fits the bill there, for sure.

There were none available locally, so I decided to order from an EBay seller who was recommended by this board. His EBay store can be found under "Powerdrom" (he's located in San Diego). The helmet is brand spanking new, factory box, bag, instruction manual etc. etc. I also bought a tinted shield at the same time. Great price, and great service from him in terms of his getting the box to the Post Office (my preferred method of shipping). I ordered last Tuesday evening, so it took 7 days in all to get to my door. Pretty good, considering it had to go through Canadian Customs. I'd certainly recommend this seller, as others have before me.

I can't comment in detail on the product itself, as I won't be riding for a few weeks yet, but suffice to say it certainly is light, fits well, and looks good (it's not all about safety cool.gif). Oh yes, it is DOT and Snell M2005 rated. Did I mention how easy the shield is to change?

Hey Mark,

I need a new helmet too and I was thinking of buying from ebay also but I was worried with the exchange on the dollar, taxes and duty I wouldn't be saving much if anything.

How did Canada Customs treat you? Did you save much?

I noticed in a previous post you mentioned the Quantum II didn't fit like your old one. I can confirm that. I tried on a few helmets last Friday and found a good deal on a Quantum II with a Snell 2000 rating but I found pressure points on my forehead that I didn't have on my Quantum R. So now I'm looking at an RX7 for much more money plus they have to order it. dopeslap.gif

Hey Mark,

I need a new helmet too and I was thinking of buying from ebay also but I was worried with the exchange on the dollar, taxes and duty I wouldn't be saving much if anything.

How did Canada Customs treat you? Did you save much?

I noticed in a previous post you mentioned the Quantum II didn't fit like your old one. I can confirm that. I tried on a few helmets last Friday and found a good deal on a Quantum II with a Snell 2000 rating but I found pressure points on my forehead that I didn't have on my Quantum R. So now I'm looking at an RX7 for much more money plus they have to order it. dopeslap.gif

I saved a whopping $179 over buying it locally. It would have been $505 + tax, for about $575, here at home. Even after paying $40 USD for shipping by Global Express Mail, currency exhange, PST/GST, and an $8 processing charge from Canada Customs, I still paid $179 less. I could have opted to pay $30 for UPS delivery, but then you pay exhorbitant UPS customs brokerage fees (maybe $60). Using the post office, it's just that $8 processing fee I mentioned. BTW, there's no duty on most things these days, given NAFTA. I've bought a lot of motorcycle-related gear from the US over the past 5 years, and never paid duty (meaning no duty was payable). Now speaking in a very low voice, I'd also point out that on about every other shipment I don't pay PST/GST (I think they're just overwhelmed with the volume of parcels). That has been my friends' experience as well. My main motivation has been greater selection/availability, and not the savings. I have also dropped a lot of dough in local bike stores too.

Any other questions, fire away.

I have been using my HJC carbon for a few rides now and I am still very pleased about it. My only complaint is at the difficulty of the chin strap. I think that I will resolve that with a metal snap buckle. I have used one before and it worked good. I get tired of using the D-loops in around town usage and I take the helmet on and off alot. The visor change is extremely easy as I have been playing with that. The weight is so light that when I was given the gift I figured it was a new helmet but when I picked it up, I figured it was too light to be a full face helmet. The bag is pretty cool to as I keep in in my top case so that the helmet doesnt get scratched in there. Well, I hope that you like yours as much as I like mine.

clap.gif

Archived