IGNORED

Best way to wash a helmet liner

Braveman

I thought the liner of my Nolan N100E was removable, but it's not. Only the cheek pads come out. What's the best way to clean the inside of a helmet? tongue.gif

Sure it is. If you have the 100E the padding is definitely removable. Do you have the instruction package that came with your helmet? There's a separate little manual in their for the padding. If you don't have it PM me a fax number or your mailing address and I'll either fax or copy and mail to you. I don't have a scanner to email you the instructions. Actually I was just looking at them and I can type faster than fax or snail mail so if you need them I'll PM them to you. Let me know.

While Laura is coming through for you on the Nolan info, this might be a good time to review how to clean a helmet liner that ISN'T removable.

1. Remove the shield and open all vents. Remove any communication/electronic devices.

2. Place a folded towel in the bottom of a plugged kitchen sink and fill the sink with lukewarm water and a low-PH detergent like Woolite. Submerge the helmet (the folded towel is to keep your helmet from getting scratched) and massage the warm, soapy solution into the liner thoroughly.

3. Pull the helmet out and allow it to drain for a minute or two, then submerge and wash again (same soapy water is OK unless it got REALLY disgusting the first time).

4. Empty the sink, rinse the towel completely and repeat #2 only withold the detergent. This is your first rinse. Massage the warm water thoroughly into the padding. Repeat at least twice.

5. Put the helmet outside in the sun to dry. Do it with the neck opening down. Be patient. Depending on the type of foam your manufacturer used, it can take up to a day or more.

6. Reinstall shield and any electronic equipment. The first time you put your helmet on it will feel a little tighter than usual. This is because the foam padding has been liberated of the perspiration, dirt and oils that kept it matted down.

Okay, I'm missing something. I found the manuals. But my lining doesn't really look like the pictures. I have two of these helmets, on is the SO's, and they are both labeled N100E. But they don't seem to have the plastic retaining strips holding the lining in like the manual shows. Are there two different versions of this helmet? When I bought them, there was also a N100E Plus, but the dealer assured me that the only difference was the color scheme and the anti-fog insert.

dopeslap.gif

John Dickens

I washed my AGV in the shower. Same principle as you.

1. A folded towel in the shower base to stand the helmet on.

2. Thoroughly wet the lining with warm but not hot water.

3. Use a mild shampoo (a baby shampoo). Work up a lather.

4. Rinse thoroughly.

5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 till the water runs clean.

6. Dry slowly without direct heat.

I also use Fabreze in my helmet and my riding gear when we do the long summer tour.

The pamphlet that came with my "plus" says Nolan N100E not N100E PLUS so I assume the liner on both is removable. The text from the Nolan website on BOTH the Classic and Classic Plus reads: The "Top Comfort" padding, which is removable and washable thanks to an ultra-practical system of clip-on attachment, is made of the highest quality fabrics.

If your N100E doesn't looks like the diagram I am as confused as you are eek.gif

BTW: The fog shield insert is THE BEST. If you don't have one try to get one unless you don't have a fog problem that is.

• 1 year later...

The fog shield insert sits on the chin piece at the visor, looks like it's covering your nose? If so, does it really work? I have serious fog issues.

Archived