IGNORED

Installing accessories and Centech mounting

onedae

I know this subject has been pretty much beaten to death but I have a couple of questions that have not been directly addressed. I'm only adding a few items - a powerlet accessory socket, a Gerbings battery harness and either a Stebel nautilus air horn or a couple of standard horns (like the ones on the 05 RT's). My questions are:

1. Is there any practical reason why I need a fusebox like the Centech with only 3 accessories. (I know I may want expandability but ignore that for now). I can easily connect these directly to the battery and I don't care about any of these items being switched. Is there any limit to the number of items that I can connect directly to the battery - ignoring the obvious mess of wires issue?

2. If I install the Centech, I was going to mount it under the passenger seat on top of the rear mudguard. I am hesitant to screw the Centech into the mudguard using the mounting posts and the 4 screws that came with it - will the plastic hold the unit or will I end up making holes that I don't use? Any other suggestions as to how to secure the unit without drilling? Also, since the bottom of the Centech appears to be a conduit, do I need to to keep that part of the unit off anything metal? Would that mean I could not tie-wrap it to a frame member?

3. If I use the Centech, it will be attached to the battery with a fused lead. I assume therefore, that I can remove the in-line fuses on the wires from my accessories - correct?

4. Finally, does the Centech need to be mounted in a place that is reasonably protected from weather (like on top of the rear mudguard under the seat) or can I put it where it may be more exposed.

Help appreciated.

1. Is there any practical reason why I need a fusebox like the Centech with only 3 accessories. <snip> ignoring the obvious mess of wires issue?
But the obvious mess of wires issue IS the big reason to install a aux. panel. And ease of troubleshooting later, reliability of not having a big old rats nest. But yes, everything directly to the battery will work. Be sure to fuse each item appropriately though.
I am hesitant to screw the Centech into the mudguard using the mounting posts and the 4 screws that came with it - will the plastic hold the unit or will I end up making holes that I don't use? Any other suggestions as to how to secure the unit without drilling? Also, since the bottom of the Centech appears to be a conduit, do I need to to keep that part of the unit off anything metal? Would that mean I could not tie-wrap it to a frame member?
A couple of holes in the plastic hidden away shouldn't be a big deal, but if you want, commercial grade double sided tape on cleaned surfaces will hold it well.

The bottom of the fuse panel is not a conductor.

3. If I use the Centech, it will be attached to the battery with a fused lead. I assume therefore, that I can remove the in-line fuses on the wires from my accessories - correct?
Yes, but just to be clear, the fuse in the panel for each device must still be the correct size for each device, while the "main" fuse is sized for the total load.
does the Centech need to be mounted in a place that is reasonably protected from weather
Reasonably is the key word. You wouldn't want to put it somewhere where it will get rain flooded. OTOH, they are somewhat weather resistant.

Archived