IGNORED

questions about ABS fault modification

yong

Hello, nice guys, I'm a Korean rider and I have 2002 1150GS(non-servo- assisted), 2002 K1200LT(servo+),2004 R1200C(servo+).

I often visit this site and get much information and I wanna thank all of you.

I frequently experience ABS low voltage fault on my GS, and I'm getting embarrased cause I've got much help from ABS in the past. GS is equipped with Odyssey battery of 2 years.

So I made up my mind to perform minor modification on GS tomorrow. My work plan is putting an on- off switch on the line coming fron the #15 pin of ABS connector. It will be installed on the handle bar.

Here are my questions.:

1> When I get the fault flash (I start the engine with the new switch on), which would be right procedure?

a. I turn off the new switch and on again with the engine rolling.

b. I turn off the ignition and start the engine again with the switch off and turn it on a little bit later.

2> How long should I wait before turning on the switch waiting for the voltage to be stabilized?

I always appeciate you guys for taking questions into deep account and paying attention.

Clive Liddell

Hi Yong,

I have done just that. It works perfectly. I used a normally-on press to open switch.

All you do when the ABS is not correctly set is just press the switch for a couple of seconds (with the bike still running). While the switch is pressed (off) only the top ABS light shows - when you release the switch (on) then both begin to flash correctly and you can ride away.

Hope that helps

Hi, Clive!

I really thank you for your helpful reply.

I am encouraged to do what I 'm planning with your help.

At first, I was about to put a new relay as Mick did(he said), but 1)what if I want the original circuit back?

2)what if the Moditec says something's wrong with your bike not knowing what's going on ?

The easiest way to put it back to the previous state is just to put a switch, I think.

TThhaannkk yyoouu!!

Hi Yong,

If you want to restore the bike to original condition then removing a relay isn't much different than removing a switch, and the relay solution is superior I think because you don't have to think about it at all... it just works automatically. Several people have installed the relay (including me) and I don't know of anyone who has had any problems with the Motronic or ABS unit as a result.

Clive Liddell

Seth,

The simple switch "solution" is basically only needed for the first start of the day and then not if the bike has been ridden regularly anyway. IMO fewer moving parts = better. I accept that auto operation is good but I like to know and control what's going on - for example I would know when/if my battery is starting to weaken.

YMMV

The simple switch "solution" is basically only needed for the first start of the day
Don't I wish... that wouldn't be true on my bike in cold weather, even with a good battery. But I agree with your points, it's just that after futzing with it for years I've had enough and just don't want to experience ABS faults ever again, period. Either method works well though, just depends on your individual preference.
  • 2 weeks later...

I have an RT1100, I just did this mod, fitted a press off switch, however if my ABS did not start , I need to switch off, press the switch (off) switch on the igntion, start the bike and release the switch when to oil light goes out, only then will the ABS reset itself (both) once the battery gets warm then it works as per normal.

It will not reset with the engine running, when I press the switch, is there some timing or technique involved?

Appreciate the answer.

Tks

Reutens

Hi Yong,

I have done just that. It works perfectly. I used a normally-on press to open switch.

All you do when the ABS is not correctly set is just press the switch for a couple of seconds (with the bike still running). While the switch is pressed (off) only the top ABS light shows - when you release the switch (on) then both begin to flash correctly and you can ride away.

Hope that helps

Reutens,

With my relay mod, it takes about 2 seconds (normally) for the new relay to energize from the D+ output of the Alternator. Did you connect the switch right at pin #15 in the ABS connector?

Mick

Going the relay way, is my next step, I have to remove more items to get it don't, anyway where is the nearest wire I can tap to get power from the alternator, if it is near the fuse box area, so much the better.

Yes it is connected to the pin # 15, it works but not always, so I think there must be some technique involved even with the button.

Rgs

Reutens

Reutens,

With my relay mod, it takes about 2 seconds (normally) for the new relay to energize from the D+ output of the Alternator. Did you connect the switch right at pin #15 in the ABS connector?

Mick

The most convenient place to tap into the D+ wire is on the back of the Alternator. It enters the wiring harness there and goes up to the ALT lamp in the dash.

Mick

Archived