IGNORED

Which GPS?

Urban Surfer

I want a gps for the bike, I also would like to use it for back woods adventure. (hunting ect) The Quest 2 has a hard drive, and I believe that is not compatible with the bike. So what are my options? The Quest or?

You want something that's battery powered for hunting, I suppose, and something that runs on 12V for the bike. Why not two different GPS receivers?

Garmin offers these nowadays:

http://www.garmin.com/outdoor/products.html

If you want to save a buck you could search ebay for something used. My 10-year-old Garmin GPS III runs on AA batteries, and while its maps aren't really fancy it's plenty good enough to retrace your steps.

You want something that's battery powered for hunting, I suppose, and something that runs on 12V for the bike. Why not two different GPS receivers?

Garmin offers these nowadays:

http://www.garmin.com/outdoor/products.html

If you want to save a buck you could search ebay for something used. My 10-year-old Garmin GPS III runs on AA batteries, and while its maps aren't really fancy it's plenty good enough to retrace your steps.

I think that is the answere considering the battery life, and what the unit is specifically designd for.

I want a gps for the bike, I also would like to use it for back woods adventure. (hunting ect) The Quest 2 has a hard drive, and I believe that is not compatible with the bike. So what are my options? The Quest or?

The QUEST 1 or 2 will meet your needs in full. Neither use hard drive technology but utilise solid state memory, the Quest 2 having the greater amount. Quest 2 also gives full post code search facility but user and dealer reports say that it takes MUCH longer to re-calculate routes than the original Quest 1.

Quest also gives about 15-20 hours internal battery life and can be used on and off the bike with ease

Hope this helps.

I have been using my Garmin 376 for the bike, car, boat, and most importantly, (since getting lost in the back woods of northwestern New Brunswick can be life threatening...), hunting. It fits into my jacket breast pocket, never loosed the signal, ( as opposed to my 276 ), and give intimate track detail for backtracking, has a 12-20 hr (depending of backlite settings) battery life, and I can print my cookie crumb trampings on the printer when I get home. Super unit. Oh, and of course its waterproof.

Jim

+1 for the Quest 1. I have had one for about a year now and I love it. I use it fishing, hunting, riding and in the car. It will run on it's internal rechargeable battery for most of the day and automatically recharges anytime it's plugged in. I haven't had it run out of power yet, even on all day fishing trips. It's small, waterproof, and easily portable. I bought seperate RAM mounts for each of my vehicles so I can just pop it into whatever I'm using that day, or carry it handheld on battery power.

Previously I had the Garmin GPS V for years. It had all the features I needed and was really durable. It was great with the exception of the limited memory. It would only hold detailed maps of half the state and they took an hour to download from the computer by serial port. The major upside was it ran on 4 AA batteries for about 20 hours. If they ran out you can get new ones anywhere. The LCD screen isn't as bright as the color one, but I think the resolution was better than the quest. I sold it used for $100, so if that suits your needs you can find one really cheap.

I bought the Quest (reconditioned) for $299, so the price is awesome. It holds enough detailed maps for most trips (for example, the whole southeast at a time) and can download other maps in about 15 minutes.

Disadvantages = Small screen size (but that's what makes it so portable) It does give verbal turn by turn directions when plugged into it's power/speaker plug or my Autocom, but unlike the more expensive units it doesn't say the street name - just "Turn right in 300 yards" instead of "Turn right on Maple St. in 300 yards." That would be nice but not worth an extra $600 for me. It does print the name of the street on the screen, so it's not a mystery even without voice prompts.

Good luck with your purchase! thumbsup.gif

Archived