IGNORED

2008 KLR 650

TEWKS

I stopped by a Kawasaki dealer today & saw the MSRP sheet for the 08 KLR650. ($5,349.00) Sounds like a good price for the update they did.

100_5054_0001.jpg

Pat

ugh you guys are killin me. A KLR sure would compliment the RT nicely.

Good thing I'm sufficiently in debt right now to keep it all a pipe dream. dopeslap.gif

I had a chance to check out the 2008 KLR at the Vancouver Motorcycle Show. The Kawasaki Rep told me that the doohicky has been redesigned. This bike is a great deal @ $5349

I've posted a few photos of the new KLR on our smugmug site, link below.

I have been checking this one out for awhile..I can see it in my stable as soon as it hits the floor!! I am sure it will be a fine machine doohickey fixed or not!! And metrosexual?? Naaaaahhh! tongue.gif

It will be VERY intresting to see if they have really updated the balancer adjustment lever. Every year I've heard:

1) nothing is wrong with the system.

or

2) it only breaks if you tighten it too much

or

3) it only breaks if you don't adjust it per the manual.

or

4) it was re-designed.

So, since I have relatives born in Missouri, I remain a little skeptical. One "klr guru" trumpeted to the world that there was a part number change somewhere in 2004. www.buykawasaki.com says this is not accurate. I changed out broken 2006 parts a few weeks ago. A new friend from Norway is on his way to Panama for a holiday with a better bike!

Trust (maybe) but verify............

If the brakes work better, and the lights are better, it will be an improvement for most riders. Since they've changed the ignition system it will be interesting to see if they've removed the good old run-without-juice-if-needed ability......

All the best,

Mike

(I make the aftermarket parts)

p.s. this also reminds me of the many myths about the (un?)needed valve adjustment, as well as the "magic mystery" valve adjustments done by the dealer without removing the cam cover....... crazy.gif

• 4 months later...

Just got my 2008 KLR650 about 2 weeks ago. What a fun bike to ride. Just did not want to deal with the expense of another BMW or some other expensive bike. Factory saddle bags for the are $149.99 for both with mounting brackets. A BMW oil filter wrench is $80. For less than $1000 (on order) i got a steel skid plate, highway pegs, a corbin seat, front fork brace, and nerf bars which are bars that protect the side panels in case of a drop like the R1200GS adventure, and a few other minor things. If that was for a BMW i would be looking at thousands for a package like that. For the record they are even used by the Marines so you know they have to be tough. I love my R1200RT but this bike is very fun to ride and can go places the RT can only dream of going.

th.8803d32a04.jpg

ncsonderman
Looks like a nice (and overdue) freshening of the bike. I'm really curious about how effective the upgrades might be... any reviews out yet?

This months Motorcycle Consumer News did a write up on it which was very favorable. clap.gifclap.gif

I've been liking this type of bike lately and think it may be a good #2 instead of a track bike.

I really like my 2008 KLR. It's smoother, better handling, and has much better brakes than my old 1999 KLR. I highly reccommend this motorcycle to anyone that isn't able, or doesn't want to spend $15K on a GS, or $7K on a F650. I paid $4,999 for this one.

IMG_1666.jpg

I am REALLY, REALLY seeing a dual sport in my future. Just not sure if it will be the KLR 650 or the Wee Strom 650. Maybe it is time for the hunt to begin.

Was looking at this beauty myself...the dealer is actually gonna let me ride it first!! Maybe BMW has been talking to Kaw??? It is looking like a new machine is in order.... grin.gif

Looks like a nice (and overdue) freshening of the bike. I'm really curious about how effective the upgrades might be... any reviews out yet?

This months Motorcycle Consumer News did a write up on it which was very favorable. clap.gifclap.gif

+1...read it this w/e.

Hey Wiley,

Great looking bike, I was wondering I know this bike would be great for commuting,but how is it off road?

Is this bike just for trails? I was wondering how good this bike is off road?

Hey Wiley,

Great looking bike, I was wondering I know this bike would be great for commuting,but how is it off road?

Not that you asked me, but here are some good references:

KLR650 Adventures

Mike Jacobs

Big Dog Adventures

There's more, but you get the idea. And the '08 model has upgraded several known weak spots for an even better bike-out-of-the-box. All for under $6000. How can you beat that?

Hey Wiley,

fireroads - yes

4wd roads - yes up to a point

smooth single track - yes to a point

challenging singletrack - no

it's a heavy bike. serious off-roading needs a 250-450 four stroke. hell's half mile needs a 250 2 smoke.

I am REALLY, REALLY seeing a dual sport in my future. Just not sure if it will be the KLR 650 or the Wee Strom 650. Maybe it is time for the hunt to begin.

the wee is a 5% off-road bike, the klr is a 50/50.

Archived