IGNORED

I'm being tailgated by my handgrips

Quinn

Half the view from my mirrors (1150RT) seem to be taken up by my gloved hands. It didn't bother me too much until I got snuck up on by a cage in my blindspot. Blindspot! I shouldn't be having no blindspot. On my other vehicles, I've added angle disks to prevent this, but doubt I have enough room to do so on the bike.

My question: how are your mirrors adjusted for best viewing? My basic view is bordered by the side cases at the bottom, handgrips at the top, and love handles on the inside. Should they be moved further out?

Just wait until you put a duffle across the passenger seat. Now the entire mirror it filled with hands and duffle. What you're experiencing is exactly why so many of us have GS stalk mirrors on our bikes.

I agree with adding GS mirrors to see behind you, and adjusting the RT mirrors just to cover your blinds spots on both sides. Works well for me, especially with bifocals and when I have gear piled on back.

Francois_Dumas

I have a little round mirror stuck in the top-right corner of the left-hand mirror. Works fine and no need for ugly 'stick-out' scooter mirrors tongue.gif

But do NOT rely on your mirrors... SWIVEL YOUR HEAD.... that's the only way to be safe wink.gif

On our exams if you don't do so constantly for every side street and passing manouevre: you FAIL !

Calvin  (no socks)

I have a Duc 916 in my stable, I can't see anything but me unless I take a hand off the bars and lean away from the side I want to see on... Or.....just turn my head.... dopeslap.gif

I too added small rectangular convex spot mirrors to the RT mirror. Once I had the RT mirrors adjusted to my liking my hands/ grips were visible in the upper inside quadrant of the RT mirror, which is exactly the place I mounted the spot mirrors. The spot mirrors turned the useless quadrant of the RT mirror into a very useful wide angle view eliminating any blind spot. Now a cage's front 2 feet are visible in my peripheral vision before it completely moves out of visibility of the spot mirrors.

But nothing beats a head on a swivel!!!

810196-DSCF0010.JPG.b7899abfb68a054778cdbe0d7a1833c4.JPG

But do NOT rely on your mirrors... SWIVEL YOUR HEAD.... that's the only way to be safe wink.gif

On our exams if you don't do so constantly for every side street and passing manouevre: you FAIL !

When I'm riding, I still hear my MSF instructor's voice telling me "Your mirrors never say yes, they can only say no"

Just put a left 1150R/RS mirror on my 1200RT..1150RT most likely the same or very similar bar fixture..Tried the little convex add on mirror and didn't care for it....

R/RS mirror:

(1) 51 16 2 307 769 mirror $52.00

(1) 51 16 2 309 607 washer (really a type of nut) $.50

Phil..........Redbrick

I agree with adding GS mirrors to see behind you, and adjusting the RT mirrors just to cover your blinds spots on both sides. Works well for me, especially with bifocals and when I have gear piled on back.

+1

I also added multivex mirrors

ShovelStrokeEd

Don't feel too bad, on my Blackbird, I have to lift my elbow and move my head to the side to see anything of what is going on directly behind me.

My mirrors are adjusted to give me a view of the adjacent lanes. I have even shimmed them a bit to bias their view outward. I am more concerned with what is approaching from my rear in those lanes than in my own as they are my "outs" should things be going not to my liking in my own lane and I don't want to have to do anything special to check that position.

I do the same in cars, btw. The side mirrors have no view of any part of my car, just a bigger view of the adjacent lane. Reduces the blind spot to the extent that I will see a car out my window before it is lost to sight in my mirror.

+1

mirrors are to see what's up in adjacent lanes

When braking I can move an elbow if needed for a last second check of my six, but I do this constantly anyhow

I'd rather keep updating info on space available next to me, if needed, than see that the SUV is still in my lane behind me

I do head turns/swivel too

But in a true no time reaction to an emergent condition I can check my mirror as I do a head turn to confirm visual

Try to avoid those situations of course

I think Ed spends more time on high speed I roads and is doing more space analysis than most

As Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, there may be, someone gaining, blue lights, objects in mirrors, gaining on you, don't matter, and appear closer than they really are",

or sumptin like that. grin.gif

+1 for cars mirrors also

It's amazing to see how many drivers can't see you in their blind spot because of mirror placement

I look when going by to see if I can see their face and usually the answer is NO

Too many have side mirrors set to check if the side of car is still there and rear view to see if their face is still on crazy.gif

Mirrors are tools, set them up properly, use them wisely.

wave.gif

I bought a pair of multivex mirrors that fit over my existing mirrors. After abut three days of constant head swiveling to figure out what the image in the mirror means about the position of the car behind me I am completely comfortable. There are no blind spots. When a vehicle begins to disappear out of my mirrors they appear in my peripheral vision. On my last bike I had the little circle mirrors but there is no comparison. With the little mirrors I had to constantly shift my vision between the two mirrors. With the multivex there is only the one mirror and nobody sneaks up on you.

Why not adjust your mirrors further out and see if you like them that way? You can always adjust them back.

As for GS mirrors, I tried them and didn't like them. It creates two different focal distances: one to the stock mirror and one to the stalk mirror ( lmao.gif ). I found switching between those those two views very uncomfortable. I'd rather turn my head to see what's not in my mirrors.

• 2 weeks later...
Blindspot! I shouldn't be having no blindspot.

You better be very careful if you ever go to anyplace with heavy traffic. Bike and car mirrors always have blind spots, and you MUST ALWAYS turn your head to check these blind spots before changing lanes.

We learn this very quickly in Los Angeles because there is never an empty car-length of pavement in any lane and there is always a vehicle in both your left and right blind spots.

I too added small rectangular convex spot mirrors to the RT mirror. .....

I did the same but placed them over the useless "speaker grill", hence not covering any part of the mirrors. It's an easy sweeping glance over both mirrors, the convex spot and the regular mirror, as you turn your head for a glance over your shoulder. thumbsup.gif

• 3 weeks later...

My thanks to everyone. I've gone with the Multivex mirrors to see if they'll do what I want. And I promise to swivel my head more. So far so good.

Oh, and Philby, I'm working on the love handles also. Almost have them up to muffin top rating. grin.gif

Archived