IGNORED

Saddlebag scuff protection

epteamadv

I'm not particularly sensitive to the appearance of my motorcycles but I have a new R1200RT that I'd to keep nicer looking than is usual for me. My wife has a difficult time avoiding contact with her boot and the right saddlebag.

Does anyone know of a product that can be used to minimize or eliminate the scuffing?

Does your wife hit the saddle bag with her boot while getting on/off the bike or just walking by it?

I’ve been using plexus on the bike pretty often, works pretty good. I’ve scuffed the right saddle bag getting on/off several times pretty good and plexus worked good on removing it and keeping it shiny. I think the key may be regular use of the stuff to build up some protection.

http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/plexus.html

Go to www.xpel.com and order some of the 3M clear fairing bra material. It comes in 3 different widths when you order it in bulk. I think I ordered the 18" width. It works very well to eliminate the scuff marks.

I'm not particularly sensitive to the appearance of my motorcycles but I have a new R1200RT that I'd to keep nicer looking than is usual for me. My wife has a difficult time avoiding contact with her boot and the right saddlebag.

Does anyone know of a product that can be used to minimize or eliminate the scuffing?

I just have naked cases and maybe they're magical or something but in over year no boot-related scuff hasn't rubbed right off with a microfiber cloth with a little detailer spray on it.

This looks like a similar product as the 3M Clear Fairing bra only less expensive (not a bad thing). However, if you apply it to your saddle bags on the hexhead RT/GT you will have to piece it together because the length of the material is not long enough. The saddle bag length is approximately 20"-22" to cover the entire top of the lid including the front corner which typically gets the scuff marks.

Keith,

Correct, but I have it covering the font area of the bag. The rear area never gets hit with my boot. I'll have a photo posted before the day is over.

Roy

I understand your goal. My preference was to cover the entire lid in case something fell on it like camping gear or whatever. I purchased the 18" width from xpel and so far it is working well. Good luck with your project.

I promised a photo, attached. I had to take it with flash so it washed out some of the scuff marks. However, I believe you can see the paint guard edges. I'm putting fresh paint guard on in the spring. Thanks for the tip on ordering it directly from Schniders! thumbsup.gif

809862-Paint-Guard.jpg.ad6768f9fac2ab650d8d3a66ede13657.jpg

This is a subject near and dear to me because i recognized that painted bags on the new 1200's were a big mistake. Big mistake on BMW's part to give the 1200's painted bags.

The scuff resistant all color matching black bags were/are a great idea. One of the reasons some of us simple folk like the down scale versions of RT.

I promised a photo, attached. I had to take it with flash so it washed out some of the scuff marks. However, I believe you can see the paint guard edges. I'm putting fresh paint guard on in the spring. Thanks for the tip on ordering it directly from Schniders! thumbsup.gif

Roy.......

Nice application...How did you get the film to form so nicely on the complex shape of the case?...I tried and couldn't make it work....Ended up with pieces butted up against each other and it looks like, well, terrible..

I thought about soaking it in hot water first....I guess the hair dryer is best but was concerned about overheating the stuff....

Phil........Redbrick

Phil

If the product you used is like the 3M product you need a solution of water and Johnson's baby shampoo in one bottle and an alcohol/water mixture in another bottle and a squee gee. Pull the backing off the clear film and spray with the alcohol/H20 solution. Then spray the lid with the shampoo/H20 solution. Once you lay the clear material on the bag you then start from the middle and push the water towards the edge of the clear material. If you think the saddle bag lid is hard just try the front fender with all of it complex angles. It took me an hour to do my front fender and I actually had to do it twice so make that 2 hours. The first attempt was not pretty. i covered my front fender the saddle bag lids and the triangular shaped pieces above the turn signals. It was definitly worth the time and effort to purchase and install this product.

Phil,

I did the lids with Plexus to be sure they were clean and polished. I then used the tissue paper included with the paint guard to make a template for the lid top. I had to use masking tape to hold the tissue paper in place over the curve. I also used a pencil rubbing on the leading edge of the lid to define the edge for cutting the template. I used the template to mark the paint guard backing and cut it out. I removed it from the backing and misted it with clear water. I also misted the lid with water. I then applied the paint guard and positioned it where I wanted. I then squeezed out the water from under the paint guard with my fingers and a sponge working from the center to the edges to reoive all water and air. It took some time and frankly, a second application on the first lid I did. I didn't like the cut of my template or the alignment of the first try. The paint guard kit included enough material that I had plenty. I think it worked out fine. It's held on by static! It's held just fine in heavy rain at 85 mph and at triple digits in the dry.

One of the reasons I'm replacing it this spring is that left lid hit the pavement while the bike was on the side stand and the retaining strap was not attached. The paint guard took all the damage but I left a noticeable tear in the paint guard. I patched that area with a small bit to continue full protection (photo attached). Essentially, I followed the instructions from Sniders, included with the product. Suits my purposes.

http://www.snidersproducts.com/instructions.htm

813018-PaintGuardLeft.jpg.4f7924449d03a2abf3596f5630f232d4.jpg

Maybe truck bed linner spray would look more like the old bags grin.gif It sure would be a lot tougher. thumbsup.gif

I'm trying to use the film but its hard to work with.

A frield of mine in Ut said there's a place over by him that will do bags etc. with some type of film and it works well. I'll have to see if I can get more info.

I have a painter on retainer for now lmao.gif. Both bags have been down, don't ask.

Archived