IGNORED

Aftermarket gear lever for R1200RT

ccbike

New poster here. I recently (a month ago) acquired my second BMW, a 2006 R1200RT and unfortunately have been unable to ride it until today because of poor weather. The second thing I noticed (the first being how it fit me like a glove) was the difficulty I had in getting my boot under the gear lever. I wear a size 12 boot and it seems as though the spacing between the gear lever and footpeg is inadequate. Does anyone have experience with an aftermarket product that remedies this problem or can the lever be adjusted? I know Touratech makes a product that apparently addresses this problem. Are there other products or options?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Rich

A lot of us have the same problem. First try adjusting the lever. If you look closely you will see that you can do this in two ways. You can move the lever a notch or two at a time on its spline shaft, or if you look up behind the mounting bracket you will see a turnbuckle thingy that can be popped off and adjusted. If your experience is like mine, it will take several tries until you get it right. If this doesn't solve the problem, there are several different aftermarket adjustable levers that give you the ability to make more drastic changes, fore and aft as well as up and down.

You may also find the rear brake pedal on the right side too small for comfort. There is a fix for that, too, in the form of a larger piece that fits over the original and is held in place by a set screw.

New poster here. I recently (a month ago) acquired my second BMW, a 2006 R1200RT and unfortunately have been unable to ride it until today because of poor weather. The second thing I noticed (the first being how it fit me like a glove) was the difficulty I had in getting my boot under the gear lever. I wear a size 12 boot and it seems as though the spacing between the gear lever and footpeg is inadequate. Does anyone have experience with an aftermarket product that remedies this problem or can the lever be adjusted? I know Touratech makes a product that apparently addresses this problem. Are there other products or options?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Rich

Check out: http://www.suburban-machinery.com/index.htm. They have a footpeg lowering kit for the R12RT part of which is a longer shift lever. The lever might solve your problem.

Archived