IGNORED

04 1150 GS...Wide open throttle surging/hesitation question

exwingnut

I had the opportunity to go out and chase some sportbikes yesterday and was surprised to note the my 04 1150 GS was having some hesitation/surging in the 4750-6500 rpm range when accelerating in 4-5-6th gear and near or WOT. The engine seems to not want to rev normally and acts as if it is leaning out as performance improves if I close the throttle a little when it is hesitating. It seems to only happen when acceleration hard under a load (rolling on the throttle w/o shifting down.)

I just completed my 42k service (43 k miles now), synced the t/b's then; plugs were good and gapped, I have not noticed any problems with the idle or normal performance since the service or now. I do regularly run the engine up these rpm's and have not felt this before.

I first noticed the problem about 1/4 tank down after fueling out on the road (not my normal gas stops around home) at a Standard Station (92 octane.) Bike has had the canister-ectomy, air cleaner is good, fuel filter is in mid-lifespan. All is stock with the exception of the canister being removed.

I am seriously considering running a injector cleaner/water displacer as the tank is now 8-10ths empty and a fresh tank of local gas to see if I got a bad tank-full. I am going to re-sync the t/b's tonight and check the clamps/gaskets on the t/b's for vacuum leaks, plugs for color, gap and tightness.

Suggestions would be welcomed at this point; well most all suggestions anyway...be nice, Ed. lmao.gif

Have you had the battery DQed lately? My RT did the same thing till I replaced the battery AND did the wide open throttle pull before starting it up thing- (setting the Motronic?)

Anyhow the problem went away after doing that dopeslap.gif

Re-calibrating the throttle range as Don mentioned may help. I'd also be suspicious of a fuel starvation issue.

Thanks, Ken...that is what the symptoms say to me as well.

What is this recalibration of the motronics thing??

can someone explain?

Thanks

Andy

On the R1150xx series, the Motronic (engine management computer), in particular after a loss of battery power, has to be "trained" to the total range of the TPS (throttle position sensor) located on the left throttle body. It uses this information to set up the correct fuel injection map.

To do so:

Pull the fuse to the Motronic for 10-15 seconds or so.

Replace it and then with the bike staged to start, in neutral, side stand up, etc. turn the key on but do not hit the starter button.

Rotate the throttle through its entire range twice.

Now start the bike.

It's in your owner's manual.

The whole thing is not absolutely necessary as it will learn the range over time anyway, especially if some WOT riding is in the mix, but doing so will improve ride-ability after a "reset."

Would it be adviseable to do this after a bike is jump started?

I just had my 12k service on my 2004 r1150ra. When I picked the bike up they put it back on the computer to check on a persistently lit engine light. The ignition was on, but not the engine, so the battery ran down. It needed to be jump started.

Now, I notice there is some hesitation, especially when first starting in the morning when stone cold around 3500-4000 rpms especially in the lower gears. It is subtle. It mostly goes away when warmed up, but I can still feel it even at hiway speeds in higher gears. The idle is fine, I don't hear or feel it missing, and it is subtle. It wasn't there pre 12k service.

I think it might be a tank of bad gas, but not sure. I put some seafoam in, but haven't gauged its effect yet.

So...

would it hurt anything to reset the Motronic? And could it lose its calibration after a jump start?

Thanks

John

would it hurt anything to reset the Motronic? And could it lose its calibration after a jump start?
It will never hurt anything, might or might not help. You can do it as often as you like.

Certainly a flat/down battery is a good reason to do so.

This sounds similar to a problem Sam Gendler had after servicing his GS a couple of years ago. He found a sock or a rag or something inside his air filter, restricting air flow when at WFO. I don't remember his symptoms exactly, but they were something like yours, but worse I believe.

You leave anything inside your air filter or airbox when you were in there at 42K?

dopeslap.gif

This sounds similar to a problem Sam Gendler had after servicing his GS a couple of years ago. He found a sock or a rag or something inside his air filter, restricting air flow when at WFO. I don't remember his symptoms exactly, but they were something like yours, but worse I believe.

You leave anything inside your air filter or airbox when you were in there at 42K?

dopeslap.gif

I had a mouse in the airbox of my clc once...but not on the GS.

It turned out to be the fuel filter...I did the motronic reset just for fun as well.

Thanks to all for your help.

Steve

Archived