IGNORED

Instinct, experience or just dumb luck

Pete Darby

I drove in this morning at 16 degrees but dry and sunny. The bottom of my face shield was fogging up and I lifted it up part way to wipe it off. When I did so I totally lost site of the fifty mile per hour traffic about 100 yards in front of me. Not a problem, things were moving well and I would only lose sight for the seconds it takes to wipe the bottom inch of my shield. However, I quickly realized the fog had frozen and there was no wiping. Then I suddenly decided that I should stop the bike as quickly as possible without going into emergency stop procedures. After I brought the bike down to 20 MPH or so I lowered my shield to normal down position and discovered all the traffic had stopped and I almost hadn't. Not sure what warned me because I have no recollection of seeing brake lights or anything. I would like to say it was my incredibly sharp motorcycling skills that allowed me to intuitively make the right move. But my practical side says it was dumb luck that made me panic when I couldn't see for a couple of seconds longer than I had planned. The only confusing thing is that I would normally have brought my speed down a lot slower if things weren’t going right.

This was probably a reaction to cues that your subconscious mind picked up on and made you react. I believe that this is what is often described as "instinct" or "a sixth sense".

I believe what really happens is that you normally get a regular pattern of events around you and when your subconscious notice a disturbance to the usual pattern it gives you a kick in the pants.

I always listen to that little voice - like you today, it can save your life.

This was probably a reaction to cues that your subconscious mind picked up on and made you react. I believe that this is what is often described as "instinct" or "a sixth sense".

I believe what really happens is that you normally get a regular pattern of events around you and when your subconscious notice a disturbance to the usual pattern it gives you a kick in the pants.

I always listen to that little voice - like you today, it can save your life.

Andy--

I think your observations nail it. I don't know when I acquired it, but I've actually encountered a number of situations where my "sixth sense" warned me of impending danger well before the sensory cues that I was aware of. Personally, I'm aware of my own limitations to consciously process all that's going on around me in a busy environment--in fact, that's why I often switch off the music, the phone, etc. when I'm riding or driving. I always try to remain plugged in to my gut instincts about what I should be doing when I'm riding, and it's surprising how often it pays off--I can recall instances when a car has pulled out of nowhere, a big mess of gravel has appeared in a corner, or a driver has made a sudden and unsignalled lane change, and I seemed to "know" what was about to happen well before it happened.

I watched "Heroes" last night, so my first hypothesis is that I've developed superhuman powers. But failing that, my second hypothesis matches up with yours: an experienced rider who's sober and well-rested constantly processes a lot of information--past experiences and subtle sensory inputs--and often developes an inate sense of what's about to unfold.

Listen to that inner voice.

Archived