IGNORED

R1200RT GPS Mount

Wink

My Recent purchase of a Garmain 2610 makes me wonder if anyone here has mounted such a unit on the left handlebar of the R1200RT. Or, where did you mount your GPS?

Thanks a ton. ô¿~

Well I still have a couple of these...I made one for myself and then a few other folks became interested in an innovative approach to the GPS/Sat radio/whatever mounting problem.

So I have 2 left...unless I set up the CNC machine again.

$62.00 includes shipping.

Jim

miniimg2602bl8.th.jpg

resizedmount002mf4.th.jpg

resizedmount001nj8.th.jpg

Just a note...the center photo shows the Garmin 376 mounted using a 'long' (3") arm from the mount to the unit. I use that one when I have the tank bag on the bike, it alows me to still see the Garmin and my guages. When I don't use the tankbag I use a short (1.75") arm and the Garmin is then tucked down a bit neater between the handlebars...

If you want to mount it to the left bar, try CycleGadgets.com -- they've got a mount (really a flat plate with a RAM ball) that sits directly over top of the clutch resevoir. Works well for my 276C; don't know about yours, but if it mounts to a RAM arm, it will work fine.

Hey Mark, how do you like having to reach across you entire body ( right to left )to engage any of the functions on the Garmin 276 (all buttons on the rt. side...).

Or do you use your left hand and reach across the face of the Garmin to select a button. Say, to change screens...

Or are you like me and stop by the side of the highway before making any selections... lmao.gif

Jim

Hey Mark, how do you like having to reach across you entire body ( right to left )to engage any of the functions on the Garmin 276 (all buttons on the rt. side...).

Or do you use your left hand and reach across the face of the Garmin to select a button. Say, to change screens...

Or are you like me and stop by the side of the highway before making any selections... lmao.gif

Jim

Hi Jim smile.gif I use my left hand; it's easy to do on the move, though I try to keep the fiddling to a minimum when I'm on the go. I like where the GPS is positioned when it's on the bar -- really easy to see. I also have the BMW tank bag, and prefer the GPS on the bar.

Rocket_Cowboy
IMHO this is the best for the R1200RT. Puts the GPS in line of sight, and visible over the tankbag. From order to receipt in less than seven days. Quality is 100%

http://www.migsel.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=13

Having both the BMW Nav III (in it's stock location), and a Garmin 2730 mounted up on a BMR Co-Pilot shelf, I have to agree ... I really like the "above dash" mounting options best. Not only is the GPS easier to see as it's closer to being in your line of sight when needed, I also don't get as much glare on the 2730 mounted high, as opposed to the Nav III looking up at me.

That looks nice Skyking...but where exactly does it go? Below the glareshield I suppose...And all the wires go where? Do they dangle down in front of the guages? I suppose you could tie wrap them up to the side. In order to maintain the 'no holes req'd' thinking you would want to avoid making new ones just for the wires.

$145.00 U.S. plus shipping seems a bit rich. But then its all a matter of perspective...

Jim

Tried the 'above dash' type mount on a friends bike and found it a bit of a reach to change a setting while riding...( I know,I know, bad boy )and plus with my bi-focals I had to tip my head back a little everytime to just to get the darn screen in focus, meanwhile everyting beyond the GPS went blurry. YIPES eek.gif.

Jim

IMHO this is the best for the R1200RT. Puts the GPS in line of sight, and visible over the tankbag. From order to receipt in less than seven days. Quality is 100%

http://www.migsel.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=13

Looks nice, if a bit pricey. I still prefer the GPS to be bar-mounted, so it's an easier reach to the buttons. Obviously that's a personal preference that others may not share. grin.gif

Go to the link: http://www.migsel.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=13

Click on the :"go here for more pictures" and you will see where it mounts.

The cost quoted includes shipping to your house, no taxes or custom's fee.

The wires can be run through the windshield support openings.

The nice thing is you can add three different items; GPS, dectector, Sat. radio to the same mount using Ram gear.

While it is expensive it is not as expensive as:

http://gadgetguy.net/Catalog/09/KitIX.htm

or

http://gpsforless.stores.yahoo.net/index.html

That set up could cost over $330.

Again, from order to reciept was six days to Minnesota.

I have no involvement, just a customer.

Well I still have a couple of these...I made one for myself and then a few other folks became interested in an innovative approach to the GPS/Sat radio/whatever mounting problem.

Jim

I just recently got one of Jim's mounts and can vouch for it. I like that it places the gps right between the bars and if you adjust the ram mount appropriately, just under the instruments. And it puts it within easy reach if you need to tap the screen while under way. Jim was very responsive and helpful with shipping and some pointers on installing it on my bike as well as the exact ram mount hardware to get. So the total expenditure was right around $100. Cheapest I've found.

Cyclegadgets sells a plate for the left reservoir that holds a small ram mounting ball. I bought mine for my 1150RT and moved it over to the 1200RT. Even though they state that it doesn't fit that model about 5 minutes with a dremel tool and it works just fine. Pretty expensive though at $85 a pop.

I first tried the shelf mounted on my dash. Drilled a small hole in top of dash and ran wires. Great looking install. However, the Garmin 2720 vibrated too much. Removed the shelf, put a plug in the dash and started over. Plug looks factory so no problem.

I would have jumped on Jim's if I had seen it. Did not... so opted to cut 3/8 inch aluminum and bend back to make mount. Mounted between handlebars using longer handlebar screws & spacers. Looks great, no vibration, less than $5 of materials, not extra mounting hardware needed.

My first suggestion, jump on Jim's idea. No better solution in my humble opinion. More then $5, but you won't have several hours figuring it all out.

WOW!! Thanks so much for all the responses. It looks like I have a number of options. All the ideas and products look great. Even the homemade ones. I am torn as I have contact lenses so I can see out to distance and anything close is too close. The dash mount looks great as I like the idea of not taking my eyes off the road. Then again, I sat on my bike and tried to reach the unit and it was a bit of a stretch. Should I begin wearing bi-focals or grow a longer arm? You guys sure came through on the answers. I will come to some conclusion soon. The pictures really helped. Thanks again.

Jim

miniimg2602bl8.th.jpg

resizedmount002mf4.th.jpg

resizedmount001nj8.th.jpg

Just a note...the center photo shows the Garmin 376 mounted using a 'long' (3") arm from the mount to the unit. I use that one when I have the tank bag on the bike, it alows me to still see the Garmin and my guages. When I don't use the tankbag I use a short (1.75") arm and the Garmin is then tucked down a bit neater between the handlebars...

I'm interested in this mount. I have a R1200ST on order, looks like this will fit. How does the mount in the triple tree? The hole is not threaded.

Ron, if memory serves me correctly the ST has a slightly smaller opening for the head bearing nut access. But if you have a dealer near you could have a look next time you are in...any excuse to drop in I say wink.gif.

If you think it might work let me know. To answer your question about 'how does it stay in the hole' if you look at the first photo (left click for a larger photo) you can see the knurling near the bottom. The unit is machined to a VERY close tolerance so it just fits into the opening on the triple clamp and the knurling makes it stay. Some folks use a little blue locktite for good measure.

I have had mine in and out a couple of times and it is still so tight I am sure I could pick the bike up using the mount if I was strong enough tongue.gif.

Jim

Yet another option which has shown up in a number of older R12RT GPS Mount threads... MotorradConcepts.com R12RT Mount

In short - a number of folks have these and gave favorable reports. IMO the above dash mount would be "ideal" but I went with a much less expensive mount which uses a longer triple crown bolt and metal sleeve to make a standoff and then use the RAM 11mm hole base. CycleGadgets.com has a similar system which requires a $10 bold and the $15.50 hole base. Here's a link to CycleGadget's Ram page: linky

When I have the GPS on the bike I simply plug into the accessory outlet on the dash. Simple. Inexpensive. While I do think I'd prefer having the GPS over the speedo, I just don't think it would be another $140 better. dopeslap.gif

Cheers,

Greg

Ron, if memory serves me correctly the ST has a slightly smaller opening for the head bearing nut access. But if you have a dealer near you could have a look next time you are in...any excuse to drop in I say wink.gif.

If you think it might work let me know. To answer your question about 'how does it stay in the hole' if you look at the first photo (left click for a larger photo) you can see the knurling near the bottom. The unit is machined to a VERY close tolerance so it just fits into the opening on the triple clamp and the knurling makes it stay. Some folks use a little blue locktite for good measure.

I have had mine in and out a couple of times and it is still so tight I am sure I could pick the bike up using the mount if I was strong enough tongue.gif.

Jim

Jim - I work for a BMW dealer, so I get to stop in 5 day's a week and get paid for it. Although I don't seem to be making any money, spend to much on my bikes. Currently we don't have a ST on the floor. Mine is on the way and will be here in about 3 weeks. When I get it I'll measure the hole.

Ron

• 9 months later...

Archived