IGNORED

Innovative tire balancing...

jakfrost

aggieengineer

Since these beads will seek the furthest spot they can get from the center of rotation due to centripetal force, and that location already being the heavy spot, it would seem that they would only make the imbalance slightly worse. Any real-world experience out there? That would be a fun experiment with a spin balancer.

That was my thinking exactly...how the heck do they get the beads, or liquid, or powder to NOT go to the heaviest point on the tire. In fact, to go to the exact opposite point. And then STAY there...

My 'spydie sense' is tingling... lurker.gif

Jim

I recall seeing that article as well. I think they said the technique is only slightly better than an unbalanced tire, but much worse than a properly balanced tire.

I can understand that the beads would to seek the furthest spot from center of rotation, but why would you assume that's already the "heaviest" spot on the tire?

little balls roll around

liquid moves

centripetal force will fling both to the outer limit of possible movement

why not just piss in your tire after a few beers - it will be as effective as the beeds and won't cost anything. smirk.gif

Wellll, I guess my thinking is that the heaviest spot would by centrifigal force, be the point driven furthest from the center (by its weight)...hence the balls would follow, no? confused.gif

Jim

I just mounted 2 new tires 3 weeks ago at the SoCal tech day and had no means to balance them so we put the dot on the tire at the valve stem on both rims. I have ridden just over 400 miles on these new tires and I cannot feel one bit of vibration coming from them at all. A former racer told me you could balance the front but the rear was a total waste of time. FYI for what it is worth.

I have heard this before Keith...and part of me wants to believe, but, well, I guess its like buying insurance. You probably will never need it...

but just in case eek.gif.

Jim

What advantage does this has over the liquid tire balancers?

I cannot answer your question, but I can tell you that all of the tire manufacturers recommend AGAINST liquid balancers because their leak stopping properties can prevent one from noticing a hole, thus leaving the tire in service longer with damage. The concern is that this might allow the damage to worsen and the tire to suffer catastrophic deflation without much warning.

I stopped using liquid balancers when I learned this. It doesn't take much longer to balance a tire on a trueing stand than to pump in a bunch of goo, anyway...

What advantage does this has over the liquid tire balancers?

I cannot answer your question, but I can tell you that all of the tire manufacturers recommend AGAINST liquid balancers because their leak stopping properties can prevent one from noticing a hole, thus leaving the tire in service longer with damage. The concern is that this might allow the damage to worsen and the tire to suffer catastrophic deflation without much warning.

I stopped using liquid balancers when I learned this. It doesn't take much longer to balance a tire on a trueing stand than to pump in a bunch of goo, anyway...

Plus the liquids are a PITA when it comes time to change the tire! dopeslap.gif

Jim cool.gif

..why not just piss in your tire after a few beers - it will be as effective as the beeds and won't cost anything. smirk.gif

I dunno, maybe 'yours' fits in a valve stem. OTH, without even checking, I'm fairly confident mine won't fit...... tongue.gif

And how about that front wheel with two discs......any access issues there?? grin.gif

Archived