IGNORED

Gerbings: Vest or Jacket?

Grayrider

I'm going next week to get my heated gear. My only question is should I get the vest or jacket? What did you choose and why and would you have chosen differently if you had it to do again?

Jacket - it would be an expensive mistake to buy the vest and wish one had bought the jacket.

The arm bits really do work and one does not have to worry about warm arms.

Can dispense with quilted jacket insert to avoid bulk.

My Gerbing gloves plug into the jacket.

For 4 years I used the entire Widder system & loved it. Also the company was the very best in customer service, even sending me a new vest after 3 years at no cost (warranty is one year). I used the varible control. I don't like being cold, so when the temps were under 50, I used the arm chaps.

Six months ago, I was at Bob's BMW (on a visit to my daugher) & checked out the Gerbing stuff (having always read such praise). I ended up getting the jacket, gloves, pants & Dual controller.

As much as I must say Widder makes a fine product & the company is fantastic, there is now comparison in the 2 systems (IMHO). I virtually never have to turn it all the way up (usually no where close) & it's just too cool to be able to have separate control of the jacket and the gloves/pants. I never realized what I was missing. I am PERFECTLY comfortable in all situations. I'm not even hot in the 60s while wearing the jacket (no heat, of course). As a bonus, it's much easier to put on & take off than the full Widder system.

I have since sold the Widder stuff, though it is a very good product & if one only wanted vest, it would be the way to go. For me, however, it would limit my riding in the colder temps.

Take the jacket for all the good reasons stated and with it you are pre-wired for the heated gloves if one day you want them.

I'm going next week to get my heated gear. My only question is should I get the vest or jacket? What did you choose and why and would you have chosen differently if you had it to do again?

+1 for the jacket over the vest. Price difference isn't that huge compared to benefits. I have had several jackets. When it's cold enough for the heat, the warm arms are really helpful. Plus, you get a jacket with arms to wear around camp, in the restaurant, etc.

Yet another vote for the jacket.

I had a BMW vest that came with my K1100LT; it was nice, but it wasn't competition for the jacket. Borrow a vest for a hour or two on a cold day then try the jacket, that'll remove any questions you may have on performance, or whether the extra lucre is worth itwink.gif

Another vote for the Gerbings jacket - especially if you're riding a bike with less wind protection like an ST or a GS.

I have a BWW heated vest but never use it since I bought the ST.

Have a Widder vest, and just bought the arm chaps for it for riding the GS on very cold days. Best of both worlds with lots of flexibility.

Jacket and every thing else they have that you can afford, you will not regret any of it. I have it all and can ride to the low single digits.

Don't know about the vest but we just rode from Ventura County to Tonopah Nevada through Death Valley and back last week and can't say enough good stuff about the Gerbings jacket...Three of us had them on and all agreed in their value..All riding RT's.....Just wick it up with the thermostat and be comfy...

And we wore them to dinner too....The newer models have pockets to hide the plugs on the arms for gloves and are presentable....

Phil.........Redbrick

Hello:

I have both gerbing vest and jacket, I pack the vest during the warmer season - less bulk and available if needed, and the jacket during the colder season.

RD

For 4 years I used the entire Widder system & loved it. Also the company was the very best in customer service, even sending me a new vest after 3 years at no cost (warranty is one year). I used the varible control. I don't like being cold, so when the temps were under 50, I used the arm chaps.

Six months ago, I was at Bob's BMW (on a visit to my daugher) & checked out the Gerbing stuff (having always read such praise). I ended up getting the jacket, gloves, pants & Dual controller.

As much as I must say Widder makes a fine product & the company is fantastic, there is now comparison in the 2 systems (IMHO). I virtually never have to turn it all the way up (usually no where close) & it's just too cool to be able to have separate control of the jacket and the gloves/pants. I never realized what I was missing. I am PERFECTLY comfortable in all situations. I'm not even hot in the 60s while wearing the jacket (no heat, of course). As a bonus, it's much easier to put on & take off than the full Widder system.

I have since sold the Widder stuff, though it is a very good product & if one only wanted vest, it would be the way to go. For me, however, it would limit my riding in the colder temps.

Everything flotbi said. Spend the money, cry, get over it and stay warm.

Cheers! smile.gif

Jacket: It's stylin to wear around camp, whereas the vest just makes you look like more oif a dork than you already are. thumbsup.gif

Gleno said dork tongue.gif

Dork2.jpg

in a vest. lurker.gif

+1 on jacket. Another feature not found on most vests is a "collar" and that works as a kind of heated "gasket" to keep the warmth in. Also, I find that keeping my neck warm (along with my hands) when it is "really cold" keeps me from getting tense and tightened up from the cold.

Archived