IGNORED

Air Filter Cover

jerseygeorge

Is there a simple way to re-install the air filter cover. I feel like it is taking too much wedging, pushing, shoving and cursing to get the two tabs to snap in. This photo shows it tilted fully up with the entire diagnostic plug holder removed. I have been trying to get the angle as high as possible, push towards the front of the bike and then push down around the two rear mounting screws. I can only get it to snap in on one out of 5 attempts, and that requires quite a few swear words. Am I doing this correctly or does someone have a tip to share?

Filter_Cover_1_tmb.jpgdopeslap.gif

Is there a simple way to re-install the air filter cover. I feel like it is taking too much wedging, pushing, shoving and cursing to get the two tabs to snap in. This photo shows it tilted fully up with the entire diagnostic plug holder removed. I have been trying to get the angle as high as possible, push towards the front of the bike and then push down around the two rear mounting screws. I can only get it to snap in on one out of 5 attempts, and that requires quite a few swear words. Am I doing this correctly or does someone have a tip to share?

Filter_Cover_1_tmb.jpgdopeslap.gif

I had a hell of a time too. What words did you have to use to get it in smirk.gif

I felt the same way, it seemed to take quite a bit of finesse to get it in. I changed mine just before the wife and I were heading out to my nephew's adoption party. What should have taken 2 minutes for the complete job took about 10.

I think it is just a knack.

It takes a considerable amount of pressure. It's not something that just slides in, a couple of sharp taps forward and down usually seats mine just fine.

A bit of "Dremel" surgery on the little tabs on the lid cured mine.

Cheers clap.gif

Steve

I think one reason it's so difficult is that it's designed to ensure a tight seal. I know, if the designer wanted to seal it, s/he would have used a gasket, but I digress.

I believe using a dremel to make this "seal" less effective might not be a good idea.

The best way I have found is to install it as horizontal as possible, pushing the tabs into the holes then lifting up using the tabs as a hinge in order to get the two screws aligned over the holes.

In you picture; You show the 'starting position' of your airbox lid at about a 30 degree angle from the horizontal.

Try a 'starting position' of almost 90 degrees. The tabs will fall in place much easier... at least that's my experience.

Ed

<<<<I believe using a dremel to make this "seal" less effective might not be a good idea.>>>>>>

Well, I just removed enough to make it possible to install the lid without a lot of bad words. A little common sense you know. wink.gif The critical seal is at the ends of the element to prevent the "dirty air" from by-passing the element.

Cheers clap.gif

Steve

Just take a straight bladed screwdriver, insert it between the cover and the the filter box,(screwdriver is leaning towards the back of the bike)between the tabs, apply a little bit of persuasion to the box as you press down on the cover. You withdraw the screwdriver as the cover slides into place. It takes a couple of tries to get this the first time, then you can replace the cover in seconds.

I can only get it to snap in on one out of 5 attempts, and that requires quite a few swear words.

1 out of 5, what the heck are you moaning about? I was about 1 for 8. Then when it did snap in the air shoot was out of its grove, when I got that where it should be then one of the new wires off the BlueSea had gotten where it wasn’t suppose to be. dopeslap.gif Bringing my average to 1 in 15. It finally went in, it had no choice, I was out of swear words.

So you got the new aux fuse box in?

I always thought mine was warped. confused.gif

Talk about warped! Thanks everyone for all the tips. I feel guilty making a posting about my air filter cover. There are people here that are ripping their bikes apart and putting them together and I am struggling with the $%&*@ filter cover.

I think the screwdriver on the angle is the tip I have been looking for, but I will admit to taking Mr. Dremel out of the cabinet and now I can snap the cover in and out easily. I took the little lip off, I can post a photo if anyone is interested. The two lugs that provide the location were not touched, and I don't think any air will sneak through. If it does, it still has to go through the filter.

I think that Heinrich over in the filter box engineering department up on floor 9 made the plastic tolerances a little too tight.

...and yes, after a few battles, and a few cuss words the blue seas box is installed. I moved the diagnostic plug 90 degrees on top of the filter box cover. The fuse box fits like a charm and I can use all seat positions.

Thanks everyone wave.gif

I am usually working on other things at the same time on the bike when the filter is changed. I loosen the bolt on the right side of the bike that holds the rear of the tank in place so I can lift up the tank a little - maybe a 1/4 inch or less. This little bit of clearance lets you put the cover at the the proper angle of inclination to drop right in.

I am usually working on other things at the same time on the bike when the filter is changed. I loosen the bolt on the right side of the bike that holds the rear of the tank in place so I can lift up the tank a little - maybe a 1/4 inch or less. This little bit of clearance lets you put the cover at the the proper angle of inclination to drop right in.

Where's the fun in that? grin.gif

Where's the fun in that? grin.gif

Yeah, you're right, need to get my money's worth out of that that dremel tool purchase :-)

But I have to admit, compared to my Suzuki VX800 where the tank had to be completely removed from the bike to exchange the filters the BMW is child's play....

Yeah, you're right, need to get my money's worth out of that that dremel tool purchase :-)

That tool can be a lifesaver! Especially when you start snapping bolts and need to grind a slot to get the rest out. This was the only reason I bought that dremel (well asked the wife for it as a Christmas gift). I have used it 3 or 4 times for that purpose.

Make sure you have some reinforced grinding wheels! You never know what bolt has fallen victim to dissimilar metal corrosion - until you break the head off trying to remove it.

Archived