IGNORED

noise...!!!

nasc68

I´ve been listening a noise(cluch or gear box ???)when the bike is stoped after a ride....and the engine is now running in neutral position,....my question is.....is this normal or do you noticed the same on your bikes ?,...mine is a R1100RS(93-94) and is now 30Tmiles (not much for its age). confused.gifconfused.gif

nasc68

If the noise goes away when you pull the clutch, it is just a bit of rattling of the gears inside the gear box. Perfectly normal.

Ok, i´m happy now,....tell me...? do you think if i replace the gear box oil for a good one will reduce the noise,......if so....which one do you recommend ? thumbsup.gif

nasc68

A good synch of the throttle bodies usually minimizes the noise. Increasing the idle a tad can help too.

Well, i think it needs to do a sync,..., i feel some vibration while riding,...i think you´re might be right.

Do you guys do the sync by your selfs ?.... where can i find vacuum gauge tool ?.....or a visit to the local Baviera dealer wouldn´t be a bad ideia !

nasc68

I use a Twinmax which is a very easy way of doing it. It looks like you haven't found the IBMWR site yet. It's loaded with great technical info on the 1100's icluding throttle body synch's. Check it out.

Thanks for post these links, i´ve just ordered the catalogue !

Just one more question and it is about the TPS,....what is the factory(standart) voltage when the throttle is at idle ?

thanks

nasc68

From the IBMWR site, Motronic Tuning by John Diaz:

"Gerry from Cal BMW related that the reading should be between 370 and 400mV, so I split the difference and set it to 385mV. I've received a recent recommendation from Cal that says sea level folks should be at 390mV. Keep your hand on the sensor while tightening the set screws because otherwise the sensor will rotate and mess up your setting."

Let me be the first to tell you:

DON'T play with the TPS unless you have been totally unable to balance the throttle bodies, and have ruled out all other possibilities (throttle cable not properly seated in adjuster, dirty Large Brass Screws, and so forth). Balancing the TB can be done with the Twinmax as recommended above, or with CarbSticks, or with a homemade manometer. Do a search on 'manometer', and you will get a bunch of hits on how to build one.

Let me be the first to tell you:

DON'T play with the TPS unless you have been totally unable to balance the throttle bodies, and have ruled out all other possibilities (throttle cable not properly seated in adjuster, dirty Large Brass Screws, and so forth). Balancing the TB can be done with the Twinmax as recommended above, or with CarbSticks, or with a homemade manometer.

The above is wise advice, per the factory manual any adjustment of the TPS is a no-no. Folks have sucessfully adjusted it but only as part of the complete zero=zero procedure to correct severe surging. However, I think that the Techlusion units know available make the zero=zero preocedure obsolete. The first thing to do is a good tune-up including a precise valve adjustment, new plugs and a throttle body synch.

Archived