IGNORED

garmin or bmw gps

beagle

I posted last week about the garmin 2720 or 550 gps. anyway, I was at a dealer today and he offered to sell me a bmwIII for 1100 otd. deal/ no deal?

Rocket_Cowboy

You can find a comparable or better Garmin branded unit for much less than the BMW branded units. I would pass on the NavIII and buy either the 2820 or 550.

I've sen a couple advertised recently in the $800 (new, private party). I'd keep looking if you want the BMW version or get a Garmin like others have suggested.

Hi,

There are some specific hardening measures that BMW requires Garmin to add to create the navigator and that does account for some of the cost difference.

However unless you really like the added controls on the BMW mount,you are better off with the Garmin 2820 or one of the others,such as the Zumo.

The regular Garmins have more than proven themselves in lots of real world MC use.

The only one to really avoid is the older 2620,which used a microdrive based memory,it wasn't really compatible with the vibes that a MC creates,they either crash or keep rebooting.

JR356

The only one to really avoid is the older 2620,which used a microdrive based memory,it wasn't really compatible with the vibes that a MC creates,they either crash or keep rebooting.

JR356

Pretty good advice. I have used a friends 2620. While he never had any problems, another friend bought a refurbished 2610 from an E-bay dealer. It does not have the drive, but flash memory is so cheap you can buy as much as the microdrive for 50 bucks.

The Zumo is designed for use with the left hand, has a large battery for use off the bike so you can plan your ride at night for the next days activities. You can add way points such as the dwindling list of BMW dealerships yourself and it will be much cheaper to do than the BMW/Garmin model.

Archived