IGNORED

Fuse Amps?

Bruce H

A couple of months ago I bought a 2003 R1150RT with 5500 miles on the clock. When I picked the bike up the #3 fuse was blown and the windscreen did not operate. The owner replaced the fuse and all was working. I have put several thousand miles on the bike and this past weekend it blew again.

I was using a heated vest but did so for two days before it went. The #3 fuse in my owners manual says it is a 4 amp fuse and controls the sockets and FID (whatever that is) Doesn't say anything about the windscreen. Also my clock reset to 00:00. When the bike was runing the clock started counting but when turned off reset to 00:00. After replaceing the fuse I reset the clock and it is still correct. The BMW repair manual disk lists #3 as a 15 amp fuse and says it controls the windscreen adjuster, power sockets 1 & 2, FID, OE socket and raido. (don't have a raido) My booklett tha came with the bile says 4 amps.

When I relpaced the fuse on the road it is still working and I ran my vest the rest of the day.

What amp fuse really goes in this socket? 4 amps isn't enought to run heated gear unless there is a relay somewhere, none is listed in the book or manual.

A couple of months ago I bought a 2003 R1150RT with 5500 miles on the clock. When I picked the bike up the #3 fuse was blown and the windscreen did not operate. The owner replaced the fuse and all was working. I have put several thousand miles on the bike and this past weekend it blew again.

I was using a heated vest but did so for two days before it went. The #3 fuse in my owners manual says it is a 4 amp fuse and controls the sockets and FID (whatever that is) Doesn't say anything about the windscreen. Also my clock reset to 00:00. When the bike was runing the clock started counting but when turned off reset to 00:00. After replaceing the fuse I reset the clock and it is still correct. The BMW repair manual disk lists #3 as a 15 amp fuse and says it controls the windscreen adjuster, power sockets 1 & 2, FID, OE socket and raido. (don't have a raido) My booklett tha came with the bile says 4 amps.

When I relpaced the fuse on the road it is still working and I ran my vest the rest of the day.

What amp fuse really goes in this socket? 4 amps isn't enought to run heated gear unless there is a relay somewhere, none is listed in the book or manual.

The FID is the display where your clock is. Although I thought it was RID (rider info display).

You can't run heated gear on that circuit. You need to connect it to the battery.

I'm not sure what amp fuse is supposed to go in there, but I would think 3 or 4 amps sounds right. The heated gear probably braws upwards of 12-15 amps (or higher)

I didn't wire the sockets, they came from the factory where they are. Would you supose BMW put them on a 4 amp circut? What else would the sockets be for? My other 1100's the factory sockets work for heated gear. I am at a loss. Might be someone out there can decipher BMW's wiring digram (which I don't have). Those of you who have 1150's and are runing heated gear, are you having any issues?

My '04 Rt, which is the same bike in all but build date, has a 15AMP fuse in that position.

Andy

In general that was my question. My booklet that came with the bike lists that fuse as a 4 amp but the BMW service CD lists that fuse as a 15 amp one. Which is right? The sockets will not run heated gear with a 4 amp fuse.

Mine came out of the factory with a 15amp. In fact 4amp would be too low for the screen motor. I believe the handbook has a misprint in it. The handbook also lists the max load for the power socket as 5amp - so it cannot have a 4amp fuse.

Andy

Andy

In general that was my question. My booklet that came with the bike lists that fuse as a 4 amp but the BMW service CD lists that fuse as a 15 amp one. Which is right? The sockets will not run heated gear with a 4 amp fuse.

My book lists a 4amp as well. If Andy's is 15, then I'm sure mine is too.

I was told that you couldn't run heated gear on the sockets - they claimed it would draw too much current and pop the fuse.

Rich06FJR1300

are you talking of the accessory sockets? i ran heated gear from them all the time on my RT...no issues of blown fuses (other than the bmw style plug shorting the circuit out due to a screw becoming loose inside the plug which caused the fuse to blow once)

If you can't run heated gear from the sockets what other purpose would they have in the location BMW puts them in? If your book says 4 amps what size fuse do you have in your bike? For sure 4 amps won't run heated gear. The BMW CD says it is a 15 amp fuse, so which is right? anyone out there with a 03 RT that has heated gear, what fuse do you have and what does your book say? I'm stumped!...

If you can't run heated gear from the sockets what other purpose would they have in the location BMW puts them in?

I was going to connect my Widder vest and gloves to the socket, until it was suggested by someone to not. When I saw the 4amp fuse called out in the book, I figured that was why.

I wondered the same thing (what they were for).

For the time being, I only use it to charge the battery.

If your book says 4 amps what size fuse do you have in your bike?

I just looked, and I have a 15amp in there.

I'm stumped!...

Sorry - I contributed to that blush.gif

I called the local dealer and asked. His opinion and that of his lead tech is that a 15 amp fuse is what should be there. Their decision was based on the BMW CD service manual which calles for a 15 amp fuse. Could be that BMW has a mis print in the booklet that came with my bike.

I changed my fuse to 15 amps.

Terry,

Thanks for the link, it answered my questions and confirmed what I thought to be the case.

Geeze... I didn't want to screw up my bikes so double checked before secong guessing what BMW put into print. Ya'd think they would proof read a little better, NOT...

Archived