IGNORED

Slicker than...

MotorinLA

I’m sure many will agree that there is nothing quite like a front wheel skid mid-turn to make the old sphincter pucker up nice and tight. When braking and turning on city streets I always keep an eye out for slippery stuff. Many common things come to mind, such as gravel, manhole covers, wet lane markings, various spills and those wonderful steel plates that the DOT loves to strew across the roadway. I think most riders probably foresee that these things will present a hazard; however, I have discovered some other things that may be worth mentioning.

Living/working in Southern California has made me spoiled, since 99% of the time the roads are dry. This probably tends to make me somewhat complacent, as dry roads usually provide very good traction.

Of course, trust Mother Nature to throw a wrench into things.

Strike One. Dead leaves. The other day I was pulling to the curb and noticed that there were some dead leaves on the ground where I was stopping. As it was dry (as usual) I didn’t think much of it and applied the brakes. Whoopsie! Apparently as leaves decompose they become rather slippery, even though they appear dry on top. Luckily the front wheel regained traction and I was able to avoid becoming a lawn dart. (You just don’t have the same Command Presence after you drop your bike on a traffic stop…) eek.gif

Strike two. Pine needles. While making a slow speed U-turn I ran over some dropped pine needles. They didn’t look like something that would present a problem. Again, whoopsie! The front tire hopped about six inches to the right before it regained traction/control. (Although, it’s amazing how strong you become when you’re really embarrassed, picking up 650+ lbs of R1200RT is easy…) blush.gif

Strike three. Strange berries. Some of the palm trees in our city drop what appears to be some kind of berries. As these berries get smashed by the tires of passing vehicles the ground gets “wet”. This nice goop then dries and no longer appears to be slick. However, the berries must contain some sort of oil as the dried spot on the ground is now super slick. (After encountering this stuff I pictured myself stepping off the bike for a traffic stop and suddenly finding myself inspecting the underside of my exhaust system instead.) crazy.gif

Nothing like some humble pie, when you start feeling a little too confident.

What is your favorite substrate?

Don't forget about all those tomato trucks heading to the Huntz Ketchup factory in Fullerton. When I lived out there for a couple of years I had my first accident exiting the Santa Ana freeway where i hit a slick spot from a squashed tomato. Bike landed right in the middle of the clover leaf exit. Once I got up and able to move out of the way I think it was about the 200th car that finally stopped to see if I was ok.

Big ol' thick painted and re-painted, wet, diagonal crosswalk markings that happen to closely resemble my turn line. Just in theory of course.

Down here in the old south its when the state decides to mow the grass on the shoulder of the road. Nothing quite comming around a curve and hitting fresh cut grass. Kinda like pine needles only more of it.

1. Gravel: I'm actually quite comfortable on gravel roads but as soon as that stuff shows up on a paved road, 50% of the times I end up examining that gravel really close. dopeslap.gif I was following a truck and turning left from a stop light at about 10 mph when it went over a bump and shed a lot of gravel right in my path. I had no escape path and the speed was too slow to do anything but lose control. Damn Boston Big Dig!

2. Fresh Paint: I also consider freshly painted stop lines or lane arrows to be potentially dangerous surfaces in the wet. dopeslap.gif Many eons ago, I dropped my ZX11 at a stop light because of 3 factors: rain, fresh paint (the main ingredient) and the steep banking.

3. Parking Lot Oil Stains: Another ZX11 incident happened with a friend who borrowed my ZX11 in the parking lot. He took it for a ride around the block and came back to the parking spot and slammed the brake. It locked on an oil patch and down he went. He was very shamefaced.

Hardware: Not the usual nails-causing-flat story. As I was coming to a stop at a stoplight, my ZX11's front tire locked onto a big bolt and took me down at under 5 mph.

Moral of the story: I sold the ZX11 for the RT and R1. clap.gif

Brine! Stays wet for a long time, much slicker then just wet streets. Around here the DOT will coat the roads with it if there is snow or ice in the forecast within the next 24-36 hrs. It can be a dry sunny day, but if snow is in the offing…look out.

Nothing like some humble pie, when you start feeling a little too confident

Tar Snakes on a curve can make it slam shut pretty quick - as does a steel grated bridge in the rain.

My humble pie was served in a pothole / uneven pavement. Thankfully I was at a stand still so I was able to enjoy it.

Oh S--t !!!

Yep, excrement (now isn't that a nice way of saying s--t) be it bovine, equine or whatever quine suits sheep can really ruin my day. In rural NM, ranchers often use the pavement to move critters from one pasture to another. Not only are their droppings (another nice way of saying s--t) slick but pungent too. Makes me want to clean my bike with au de cologn.

A less rural slip can be had leaving toll booths; too much twist grip and rear end takes on a life of its own.

Wooster w/polite words

In rural NM, ranchers often use the pavement to move critters from one pasture to another. Not only are their droppings (another nice way of saying s--t) slick but pungent too.

And it isn't only from grazing. Livestock transport trailers can leave a trail of woe. eek.gif

Then, of course, is slick stuff you just can't see. Moisture, grime, mag chloride, who knows what else, but I found some in December and had an involuntary dismount.

Use caution passing any truck or trailer loaded with live animals. I suspect the drivers don't stop at rest areas to allow them to take a pee.

Be wary of railroad grade crossings anywhere near a coal-fired power plant. Coal dust is a lot like graphite, and when mixed with water it's like, well...lubricant.

Avoid the center of any lane that has heavy truck or bus traffic. Big engines often drizzle lube oil out of leaking seals, and it tends to lubricate the center of the lane.

Diesel oil slops out of truck tanks in tight curves, especially when the tanks are full--which would be at the first on-ramp after a truck stop, eh? Oils slide downhill, so avoid the low side of onramps.

Be cautious when riding through farm country after a rain. Expect mud to be washed onto the road wherever the pavement is lower than the dirt.

Some states and cities use white plastic material for lane markings such as arrows and pedestrian crossings. So, avoid putting your tires over anything white, especially in the rain. If you have to cross a painted line, get off the brakes as your tires cross, and get your turn over early so you aren't leaning over while riding over a plastic or painted surface marking.

Beware loose material such as an ice cream carton, plastic tarp, or pop can. Keep your tires off, especially if accelerating, braking, or turning. A carton can turn into an instant "ski."

Loose gravel slipping out of a truck is one more good reason to never follow a truck. I suppose "loose gravel" includes fist-sized rocks stuck between dual tires, suddenly letting go as the truck speeds up.

pmdave

While corn and soybeans are my usual enemy, it was a piece of vinyl siding that got me down. I didn't/couldn't see it under the cars in front of me until it was too late. Front end slid right out. Now I let the traffic clear out from the stop to make sure there are no hidden surprises.

Yep, excrement (now isn't that a nice way of saying s--t) be it bovine, equine or whatever quine suits sheep can really ruin my day.

I believe "ovine" suits sheep.

Another addition to the list:

The sand put down to control traction in areas subject to ice and snow. It often accumulates in just the wrong places on winding roads. It can be gone from the straight stretches, and still there in the turns.

I've got strong feelings for many of the posts on this board. The only one I haven't noticed thusfar is the residue left on the roads near active quarry entrance/exits. I remember sliding like I was on ice passing one of those down near Hazard (no joke), Kentucky.

Of course, If I had been at or below the speed limit, it may not have been as slick.

Great post and I hope I never have to help you pick your patrol bike up before you write me a ticket!

Here's a real big one I've noticed: about a 50 yard section of the road at the exit to hand-done car washes, where they apply the silicone to make the black sidewalls shiney. It's worse than ice.

I've noticed that wherever a new house is being constructed in the wintertime around here, the trucks track mud out onto the pavement. I suggest being very frugal with the traction when you see a new house springing up.

pmdave

I've noticed that wherever a new house is being constructed in the wintertime around here, the trucks track mud out onto the pavement. I suggest being very frugal with the traction when you see a new house springing up.

pmdave

Slightly off topic, when I see new construction in the neighborhood (or new siding, gutters, roofing), my propensity for flat tires increases, due to nails on pavement. I'm certain this isn't intentional (heck, I ended up with one of my own staples in bikes's front tire after dismantling a couch); just the same, I'll walk around the area and pick-up a few nails (with my manos) whenever construction work is in the neighborhood.

Wooster

• 2 weeks later...

Up here in frozen tundra land the first month or so after at the loooong winter leaves residual sand on the roads used to provide traction on ice covered roads during the "why am I living here months"....Not so good for improving traction for motorcycles though. You have to take it easy until a good spring down pour floats the loose sand to the curb. It is a surprise if the area is not an otherwise sandy environment.

The new way they engineer rail road crossings with those big rubber pads that float with the road. Does a great job of smoothing off suspension busting rail road whoopdies, but can be a real hazard when wet. I've had the rear tire break traction if I have the power on going over these little DOT approved hazards.

The most unusual road hazard I've seen over the years has been turtles.

This was on the Blue Ridge Pkwy, early morning, back in the 70's. My wife of the day and I were enjoying the misty scenery instead of blasting the turns which probably saved us as we came around a tight left hander and started hitting turtles. There had to be at least fifty of the little devils crossing in a herd (pod, pride, school.. ??), ranging in size from about 4" up to 10" and there were just too many to drive around.

We were able to stop safely and both we and the turtles survived the encounter. They're tough little devils and five minutes later there wasn't one in sight.

Archived