IGNORED

1150RT screen mounting rubbers

Frampy

I have a brain teaser regarding the screen mount rubbers on an R1150RT. Each of the four screen mounting points on the adjusting mechanism arms has a lug. The rubber screen mounts are like a solid rubber washer with a recess which fits over the lug on the screen arms. I recently bought some new rubbers and sure enough they are the same as those I took off but they come with an additional rubber washer which has a lug and fits into the recess in the main washer. This additional washer has a self adhesive (non lug) side. I’ve studied the mounting system carefully and can’t for the life of me figure out what this additional washer does. Its not for the other side of the screen under the black plastic plates as BMW have a different washer for this. Does anyone know what my additional washers do as I am perplexed? The original mounting rubbers did not have this extra “piece”.

Just a guess, but sometimes BMW parts kits fit multiple bikes so they include some parts which may not be used on your bike. A good example of this is the washer assortment they include with their oil filters. About half of them aren't used. Like I said just a guess. My bike only has the one washer under the windshield.

You've got me curious. The shop manual and parts fiche both only show one washer. Are you going to tell us or do I have to dismantle my windsreen for the answer?

Archived