IGNORED

Compressor question

Burt

I tried doing a search for this information, but didn't have any luck. I am looking for a compressor to use for light duty. I would use it for changing tires, etc. Is there any advantage to getting an oil lubricated or oil less compressor? I'm not sure if it makes a difference. HF has a 3hp, 21 gallon, oil lubricated compressor on sale. It is normally $200, its on sale for $150, and with a 20% off coupon I could get it for $120. The Craftsman compressors I've looked at were oil less, 5hp, 30 gallon (I think) that were about $300. This HF compressor would probably handle the things I want to do with it. I just didn't know if its preferable to get one that is oil lubricated or oil less.

Thanks

I believe the "oil-less" compressor are typically the diaphram type and are much louder. The oil lubricated compressors are typically the piston driven type using an electric motor and a belt. They are much quieter and I believe are considered "better" compressors and are usually more expensive for the same CFM/pressure rating.

No answer about the oil vs. oil less but, I would get the biggest one you can afford/have room for. You may not want to (or think you will) now, but you maybe want to use an air ratchet, die grinder, etc. These use up a lot of volume, causing the compressor to run more often.

I have a vertical compressor that I mounted in the attic, which saves quite a bit of floor space.

Where did you get the 20% off coupon?

I had the same questions a few months ago. Basically, I came to the conclusion that changing the oil in a compressor is a small price to pay for the advantages. They're quieter, more durable, and ultimately work a bit better.

I ended up with one from Costco. It didn't work, so I took it back. The 2nd one (same type) works like a charm. It's a 5 gallon 2x hotdog tank 2 or 3 HP (can't remember) that they have for $150 or so. I like the fact that it's pretty small as I don't use it enough to justify one that takes up an enormous amount of space.

However, if you get one at Sears on sale (they change weekly, and if you're not in a hurry, that's a good way to go) they're a pretty good deal.

I'm not a fan of HF stuff in general, but they are cheap...

Where did you get the 20% off coupon?

I signed up for their email ads, and I get 20% coupons once in a while through the ads. I bought a couple of items from them with the coupons in the past year.

However, if you get one at Sears on sale (they change weekly, and if you're not in a hurry, that's a good way to go) they're a pretty good deal.

I'm not a fan of HF stuff in general, but they are cheap...

Thanks for the information on the compressors. I am a little hesitant to get a compressor from HF, because I don't know anything about the quality. My son in law has a Craftsman that I've borrowed a couple of times, and it seems pretty nice. Maybe I'll just wait.

Thanks again

Archived