IGNORED

Oil drain pipe needed for XMSN?

daveinatlanta

daveinatlanta

I just received my Clymer's service/repair/mtce manual. I'm planning on doing basic maintenance and fluid change on my 2004 1150RT and, under topic of Xmsn Oil Change, Clymer says.."on RT models install the oil drain pipe BMW part 23-4-680 through the opening in the right footrest assembly and into the oil drain plyg area of the xmsn. Turn oil drain pipe clockwise and lock it in place."

Huh?? I have not looked at the bike yet - but is this special pipe really needed? I'd rather not give the BMW stealer any more money. Regardless, it seems that, by the time I got this pipe in place, the oil would have drained out.

Thx

I just received my Clymer's service/repair/mtce manual. I'm planning on doing basic maintenance and fluid change on my 2004 1150RT and, under topic of Xmsn Oil Change, Clymer says.."on RT models install the oil drain pipe BMW part 23-4-680 through the opening in the right footrest assembly and into the oil drain plyg area of the xmsn. Turn oil drain pipe clockwise and lock it in place."

Huh?? I have not looked at the bike yet - but is this special pipe really needed? I'd rather not give the BMW stealer any more money. Regardless, it seems that, by the time I got this pipe in place, the oil would have drained out.

Thx

I use a small plastic soda bottle (250ml) cut in half lengthwise. Others use plastic sink waste pipes. Others aluminium foil.

Andy

This can easily be done with about 7 inches of 1-5/8 PVC pipe and aluminum foil.

Cut the pipe in half lengthwise about 1-1/2 inches down and then cut off half of the pipe widthwise, so you end up with solid pipe for 5 1/2 inches and half of the diameter of the pipe of about 1 1/2 inches.

When you change the oil, put aluminum foil over the cat converter just below the drain hole and put a lip on it so it drains down into the container you will use for the oil oil. Put the pipe in the drain plug hole so that the half pipe fits under the drain plug then just undo the plug with your ratchet and extension which you insert through the pipe and Voila'..instant drainage thumbsup.gif

The pipe is far from essential, it just helps avoid spilling some gear oil onto the converter. Some use a piece of PVC, or even just stick a shaped piece of light cardboard in there for a one-time use solution. Even if you get some gear oil on the converter it's no big deal, just wipe it off or clean it off with some engine degreaser afterwards.

Dave,

I loosen the drain plug, then a core out of a toilet paper roll will fit in there just perfectly. After loosening the plug, I cut the paper core short enough that the long end of my allen wrench will reach the plug. Take the plug out and remove the wrench while the oil drains harmlessly into your catch pan.

With 5 girls living in my house, I have a never ending supply of transmission drain tubes.

daveinatlanta

I loosen the drain plug, then a core out of a toilet paper roll will fit in there just perfectly.

Now there's a job aid that I'm sure I have. Thanks.

Seth, I can tell...you ain't anal are ya! lmao.gif
Hell, I was gonna say to just let the oil get all over the converter and it would just burn off... grin.gif

Archived