IGNORED

XM Choices Question

AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser

Hi all,

I'm starting to farkleate (?) my R1200RT. For you XM radio users which one do you like best, and why???

Delphi Roady XT, or Delphi SkyFi...

Both look like nice setups for the motorcycle, but I am interested in your personal opinions.

Fire away, guys!

Steve in So Cal

Hi,

How about the Pioneer Inno?

Have a Skyfi,like it for the larger display and bigger buttons.

However if the 17yr old at home wasn't gobbling up all available financial resources,then I would get the Inno for it's compact size and recording ability.With it's built in battery,you can take your music away from the bike/car.

JR356

SOME people, who I shan't name....*coughnandocough*, don't like the Roady XT. Something about number button being to hard to push with pudgy.....bigger, glove-clad fingies.

Whatever. Got the Roady XT. It was cheap, like me, I could get a second car kit for it cheap, like me, RAM mounts were easy to get. Done deal. Nuff said.

Does this mean you are opting out of a nav with it built-in?

Steve I purchased a Roady XT to replace my shopworn Roady 2. As you may know the XT fits into a cradle and the power, antenna and line out are built into the cradle and not into the radio like the older R2.

You cannot lock the XT into the cradle—it’s a pressure fit. On an RT it will work its way off the cradle. I had to wrap a rubber band around it to keep it seated in the cradle. The vibration overcame it.

I suppose someone could figure out a way around this problem if they put their mind to it. Mounting the XT is a challenge too. It was not compatible with my Ram based Roady holder.

Anyway if you’d like to try out the XT, I can send you mine. I’ll throw in the DC adaptor too—unique to the XT. If you like it, keep it and make a donation to the board.

BTW, I went back to the Roady 2.

Hi all,

I'm starting to farkleate (?) my R1200RT. For you XM radio users which one do you like best, and why???

Both look like nice setups for the motorcycle, but I am interested in your personal opinions.

Fire away, guys!

Steve in So Cal

I have the Pioneer airwave - which was replaced by the Pioneer Inno. Portable receiver that you can record live XM radio to, listen to live radio with it in its cradle AND while its out of the cradle.

Easily removed to bring with you....

Here is a pic of my airwave, the inno is much smaller. The Inno is now $140. These guys are great http://www.myradiostore.com/

Here is a pic of it mounted

gps.jpg

Don't get the INNO if you ride in heavy tree cover or the mountains . . . the internal antenna just doesn't cut it. I had one since they came out and except for eastern Colorada and Kansas, it was pretty much worthless. I really never used the recorder facility and it was next to impossible to change the channel while riding (safely at least). Luckily, I qualified for the FCC mandated rebate and actually got more money when I returned it than what I paid!

I now have a Sirius SV3 permanently installed in my 1150rt dash with an external antenna and performance is greatly improved.

Push buttons - a MUST

External antenna - a MUST (for this GA, TN, SC, NC rider)

Don't get the INNO if you ride in heavy tree cover or the mountains . . . the internal antenna just doesn't cut it.

I use the $17 clip on antenna for my airwave. I bought it from the link above. I think its called the 'clip-it' antenna.

Works good for me thumbsup.gif

Chuck Hatcher
For you XM radio users which one do you like best, and why???

Garmin Zumo 550.

Think of it as an XM radio, MP3 player, and Handsfree phone interface with a voice-prompting GPS thrown in.

I like the simplification of having one unit that integrates all four functions.

Steve,

I'm using the XT. Very happy with it. It's mounted to a TechMount w/ the accessory plate.

I do echo the OP regarding the press fit. I have a fix in the works on this. Currently, I am using a zip tie to hold it in place but will be fabricating a fix with either welding wire or coat hanger mounted to the rear of the cradle and wrapping up and over the top. Apply a little Dip-It to the wire for scratch protection and it should do the trick.

Antenna mounts completely out of view with no apparent signal issues at this point.

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Lets_Play_Two
For you XM radio users which one do you like best, and why???

Garmin Zumo 550.

Think of it as an XM radio, MP3 player, and Handsfree phone interface with a voice-prompting GPS thrown in.

I like the simplification of having one unit that integrates all four functions.

I would second the Zumo 550 if you are starting from scratch. GPS and XM in one package and you can add the phone and mp3 if you desire....all with one mount. I just got the traffic added to mine so I am not sure how that will work but it sure looks pretty and gives lots of information. it is easy to use.

I do echo the OP regarding the press fit.

I used 2 "straps" of velcro from the top of the Roady to the bracket. Easily removable to go into the POS truck.

Hey Steve

I like the Skyfi2

Has a built in amp with volume control, don't need to plug in the autocom when riding solo.

Cradle works great with the RT. attaches to the clutch res.

You can get a rain cover for it.

Big well spaced button that are easy to work with gloves on.

Skip the Inno for bike use.

Whip

Hi - I have a Roady XT and experienced the same problems as Limecreek, to the point of the XT being unuseable. I could go only 5 to 10 miles before the XT worked loose. I now have a SkyFi2. I has a rather flimsy-looking locking device to keep the radio in its cradle but it works. The SkiFi2 has never come out of its cradle for me. Reception has been good, except when riding past tall buildings, road cuts, etc, when signal is temporarily lost. I got my SkyFi2 on eBay in good shape for less than retail. Rick

For about two years I have used the SkyFi2, mounted on a BMR Co-Pilot shelf with an accessory arm and a hardwired FM modulator. I bought the radio used on eBay at a good price, but paid retail for a car kit and the modulator. Reception was good; there are some dead spots that I couldn't explain, and reception was spotty in the mountains for obvious reasons.

One advantage to that unit is the built-in wireless FM modulator; you could use that if your bike has FM radio. Some reported less than satisfactory results using the wireless modulator on bikes but mine worked OK before I added the hardwired modulator. The advantage of that is to get the best possible signal to the onboard stereo, and to power the radio itself.

I recently bought and installed a Garmin Zumo with the optional XM antenna/receiver. I like consolidating GPS and XM into one unit. Reception is at least as good as with the SkiFi car kit setup; I seem to find fewer dead or weak spots. It is a little more trouble to access preset stations (maybe two "presses") but I can live with that.

AdventurePoser

Hey everybody...

Many thanks for the opinions and offers to "road test..."

You are awesome...

Steve in So Cal

AdventurePoser

Does this mean you are opting out of a nav with it built-in?

Yep, opting out. To many rumors about AutoCom/GPS and built in XM integration problems. I will purchase a Garmin 2720 a little bit down the road, I'm pretty sure.

Steve

I think we are missing the larger question here.

I don't believe farkleate is proper. Shouldn't it be "farkorate" or "farkalize". And when you see a bike that is all decked out it has been "farkenstrated".

Or should I take this argument over to ironbutt.org?

Hi all,

Fire away, guys!

Steve in So Cal

AdventurePoser
I think we are missing the larger question here.

I don't believe farkleate is proper. Shouldn't it be "farkorate" or "farkalize". And when you see a bike that is all decked out it has been "farkenstrated".

Or should I take this argument over to ironbutt.org?

Hi all,

Fire away, guys!

Steve in So Cal

I think there is more than enough hot air and energy to keep the arguement right here... lmao.gif

BTW, my RT is being farkleated by a new RDL on Feb. 13. Wish I could ride up to get it, but can't get the time off. I'm gonna have to depend on the Postal Service...

Steve in So Cal

I have had both roadies and now have a Skyfi. I like it more because I can customize the readout more, it is larger both in the screen and the buttons.

I had problems with the plugs on the Roadies. One time the output went bad from vibration and the other the power went bad.

2 years on the skyfi with no problems. the next one will be skyfi again

I just bought a Zumo, which means I have not one, not two, but three Roady 2's that I am considering getting rid of for virtually nothing, including the Hoon Hardware holder. The Roady 2 held up very well for me on my Roadster. It was secure and operated without any problems.

AdventurePoser

Based on lots of input, I decided to go with the SkiFy2. It's ordered and on the way. You gotta love Cyclegadgets.com!

Cheers,

Steve in So Cal

• 1 month later...
wave.gif I have an older Street Pilot III Color map I've been thinking of upgrading. Do you have the Zumo 450 or 550? Is the satellite radio feature only XM service? Do you an exteral antenna ? How easy the mp3 feature to use ?? Thanks, Larry in Jax, FL
I would second the Zumo 550 if you are starting from scratch. GPS and XM in one package and you can add the phone and mp3 if you desire....all with one mount. I just got the traffic added to mine so I am not sure how that will work but it sure looks pretty and gives lots of information. it is easy to use.
It works great! I just home to Melbourne Florida for Bike Week, see family etc. The Zumo 550 combined with the GXM 30 is fantastic. I simply cannot say enough about it. Having everything in one, easy to use package is a godsend. I was able to operate the unit even with my bulky winter gloves on. For motorcycle use I do not think you can do any better than the Zumo 550/GXM30. It's not cheap... but you do get what you pay for.

Archived