IGNORED

Looking for Foam Grips

Maggie

I am hoping that someone can direct me to the best foam grips for our RTs. I had some grip puppies, but they were too fat for the BMW grips and slid around on the grip. Can anyone advise me as to the best fitting foam grip to dampen vibration? Thank you!! wave.gif

I had some grip puppies, but they were too fat for the BMW grips and slid around on the grip.

Are you saying they're a little too big? Or, did you use soapy water to slip them on and they're still moving a little? I installed a pair of grip puppies on my Brick, and it took about a little more than a week before they felt decently solid.

Those things ain't movin' now. thumbsup.gif

I've had both the GripTek and the Grip Puppies on previous bikes, and they never slid around on the grip. These are the ones I used on my 1150RT and they fit snug and tight: http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merc..._Code=BMW_R1150

I'll admit that I liked the GripTek product a little better than the Grip Puppies, but at least the attached link shows the size you will need. The GripTek seemed to be a little sturdier to me.

Just sounds like you are dealing with the wrong size for the bike. I always installed mine using a weak solution of dishsoap in water. They can be a little challenging to install, but once on and dry (usually overnight) they have always stayed put for me. And if you want to remove them you can just roll them off and end up with a big foam dougnut.

Tom

Do the heated grips continue to warm your hands, or is this feature lost with the Grip-Tek & Grip Puppies?

Thanks.

Tom K.

The heated grips remain effective - It just takes a little longer for their warmth to transmit through the foam. Only an issue at start-up on those really cold mornings. Maybe a difference of a couple of minutes before your hands start feeling the warmth.

Tom

My GF has O-rings on hers, they work great, and transmit all the heat!

grips.jpg

I got them from Tom Dowell at Excell cycles for $15 for the set.

Jim cool.gif

I guess I am a little slow here, but I have never heard of this before. A series of O rings over your grip? Can you explain this a little more. Sounds like it could be a really cool way to deal with vibration without the foam and maybe it would not increase the diameter of the grip as much? tongue.gif

I guess I am a little slow here, but I have never heard of this before. A series of O rings over your grip? Can you explain this a little more. Sounds like it could be a really cool way to deal with vibration without the foam and maybe it would not increase the diameter of the grip as much? tongue.gif

It definitely increases the grip diameter, but to about the same as the old grips on the 1150 R bikes. It allows full heat, and is more comfortable than the stock grips. Less vibration, but not a HUGE difference.

Jim cool.gif

Looking at the Grip Tek site they have many sizes to choose from. The D6 shape looks the most like the RT grip, but does anyone know the diameter to order?

I need to know what diameter our bars are? However, if you think about it, it seems that if you do not take off the original grip and the foam just slides over, then you should include the bike's grip thickness in that measurement?

Any help here would be appreciated. Thank you!

When I bought mine from Grip-Tek it was based on info I learned on the BMW LT site. The ones I ordered were D3E106M15-4.25: 1.06 ID x 4.25 long.

Since I recently turned in the LT towards the purchase of my new RT, I removed the Grip-Teks before trade-in. I have put them onto my new RT and the fit is perfect.

Tom

• 4 weeks later...

Archived