IGNORED

Corbin Heated seat electrial hook up

rogera

Just got a Corbin heated seat for my R 1200 RT. Not to happy with the electrial hook up. I thought before I tried connecting it to the stock connection I would ask if anyone else has and where there any problems.

Presuming Corbin uses the same connector on your seat as they did on our two heated Corbin seats on our R1200GS, they have been 100% reliable in all conditions for approaching two years now.

Ever leave you seat on and run down the battery? When I bought the seat last weekend the sales girl said they where working on the stock connection but where not quit there. Hopefully they will come out with a new pigtail sometime soon.

Ever leave you seat on and run down the battery? When I bought the seat last weekend the sales girl said they where working on the stock connection but where not quit there. Hopefully they will come out with a new pigtail sometime soon.
Similar to what Barry said, Our seat's relay triggers off of an auxiliary set of connections that is switched from the bike's original accessory socket. (Via a Touratech TPS-15 adapter.) Thus when the bike is shut down, 30 seconds (or whatever it is) later when the accessory socket shuts down, the seats shut off too.

As a practical matter, as I'm nearing my destination I usually reach down and turn off the seat (and other heated stuff) so as to give the battery a couple of minutes of full charging right at the end of the riding, but if I do happen to forget; the above keeps it from being drained.

Doesn't the Corbin heater have a timer? I thought it cycled off every hour or so.
Not that I know of. Simple on/off switch. I converted ours to varable heat, but that was my own doing.

As an option on many of Corbin's Touring Class saddles, electric heat provides a very nice way to raise your riding enjoyment when the temperature drops. On these models, the heaters and required controller come preinstalled on the saddle. We include a wiring pigtail that integrates with your bike's fusebox or directly to the battery and provides a quick disconnect for saddle removal.

Operation of the heater(s) is handled by a switch built into the left side of the saddle where you can reach it without removing your hand from the throttle. Just flip the switch and start enjoying the warmth! Heater will run for one hour then shut itself off automatically. If you're still riding, just flip the switch off and back on to reset. Remember, heated seats require a stitch pattern in the seating area to conceal the heater elements.

thumbsup.gif

Operation of the heater(s) is handled by a switch built into the left side of the saddle where you can reach it without removing your hand from the throttle.

I have to disagree with this. The on/off switch is on the right side of my Corbin seat.

Any information on how you hooked it up to be variable?

I also disagree on the side of the switch. Mine is on the right and it is a pia. When I called to see if they could switch it over I was told I would be charged to rebuild the seat. So I live with it.

Otherwise, I love my seat.

mike

Any information on how you hooked it up to be variable?
Bearing in mind this is on a GS not an RT...

I purchased two of the Gerbing permanent mount heat controller. Then the Honorable Mike "Tool Man" made for me a plate with a round shaft hole and small hole for the LED in it to replace the factory Corbin switch plate.

I then hollowed out a bit more of the seat plan behind it to make space for its small circuit board and variable control. I extended the wires from it to the controller's main portion so I could hid that in the bike's tail. We did this for both the rider and pillion seat.

125197280-L.jpg

40381033-M.jpg

Operation of the heater(s) is handled by a switch built into the left side of the saddle where you can reach it without removing your hand from the throttle.

I have to disagree with this. The on/off switch is on the right side of my Corbin seat.

I pasted that from Corbin's web site. BTW, mine is on the left side....perhaps they're locating the switch to correspond to the customers political leanings. grin.gif

Archived