IGNORED

source for oil filters

chat_vmax

looking for a good source for oil filters and a recomendation on acceptable oil weights for NE usa.. 20 - 50 degrees..

PS: can i use a semp synthetic oil like casterol in this bike

2004 rt 1150

In the colder climes, Shell Rotella Synthetic 5w40 works well and is available at a VERY reasonable price from WallyWorld thumbsup.gif

Rotella is an EXCELLENT choice. It contains more of the extreme-pressure additive ZDDP than ANY OTHER car-type motor oil. ZDDP is the stuff that BMW has complained was not present in sufficient amounts in "normal" oils. Rotella-T (since it is a so-called "Heavy Duty" oil used in diesel motors) has the added protection of more ZDDP, and gives you the performance of an expensive "Motorcycle-specific" oil, at much lower costs. This is the stuff that allows big diesel rigs to go 100,000 miles between oil changes. It also does NOT have friction modifiers that cause problems with wet clutches.

does anyone know the exact Bosch oil filter # for the 2004 RT??

Try Bosch 3330.

If you look at the top of this forum there is a Sticky thread that includes a list of just about every alternate part you can think of. Drop Jim Von Baden a PM with your email and he will send you a copy of the consolodated list.

Andy

does anyone know the exact Bosch oil filter # for the 2004 RT??

72161 is the Bosch product sold by Beemerbone yard. It is also sold by Bob's BMW. If you're interested in non-OEM filters, that URL is worth a visit because it compares the 72161 to the OEM filter.

It's not the same as the OEM, but I suppose it's one of the many filters that fit close enough.

Fram 6063

Filter Engineering

Attn: Tom Patterson

1499 Pomona Rd. Unit B

Corona, CA

(951) 737-5690

Buy by the case (6 filters to the case) for the best price.

On 01/30/2006, I purchased 36 filters (6 cases) at $5.57/each + Tax and shipping. Total cost = $235.68 = $6.55/each.

Good luck,

Uh! Oh!

Someone mentioned the "F..." word eek.gifeek.gif

Now you've done it lmao.gif

I've got my newspaper rolled up in case nobody else jumps on this one. wink.gif

grin.gif

Uh! Oh!

Someone mentioned the "F..." word eek.gifeek.gif

Now you've done it lmao.gif

Unlike the PH3614, the PH6063 is a motorcycle specific filter. At one time it was simply a Mahle filter reboxed by Fram, might want check it out if that is still the case. If so and the price is right might be a good deal.

I have some German made 712/38 MANN filters left over from my '01 SAAB that I got for about $6 each that I am currently using on the BMW, so far so good.

Fram 6063

Filter Engineering

Attn: Tom Patterson

1499 Pomona Rd. Unit B

Corona, CA

(951) 737-5690

Buy by the case (6 filters to the case) for the best price.

On 01/30/2006, I purchased 36 filters (6 cases) at $5.57/each + Tax and shipping. Total cost = $235.68 = $6.55/each.

Good luck,

Hey Bill....

Changing filters at 6,000 mile intervals that's enough to last you for 216,000 miles.....About a year's worth? grin.gif

Phil........Redbrick

Hey Bill....

Changing filters at 6,000 mile intervals that's enough to last you for 216,000 miles.....About a year's worth? grin.gif

Phil........Redbrick

I made the mistake of mentioning to "a few" of my friends that I was about to place an order. The order grew from one case to six. Sheesh!

Hey Bill....

Phil........Redbrick

I made the mistake of mentioning to "a few" of my friends that I was about to place an order. The order grew from one case to six. Sheesh!

Yeah.......I figgered that one out but couldn't resist the weak try at humor!

Phil.......Redbrick

Lone_RT_rider

If you get hard up on the road and need a good filter for the R11XX series the Mobil 1 M-102 works well. I have been using it exclusively on the 3 R1100's we have in the garage. Someone a LOOOOOOONG time back sectioned several filters to show the quality of materials and this filter was either #1 or 2 (can't remember). The cost is either equal to or slightly less than the BMW filter as well.

Shawn

Slartidbartfast

Purolator 10241 comes in regular and premium/ultrfiltration or something like that. Advance Auto has the premium for about $5.

I third the Mobil-1 M-102 That's what I've been using lately. Same there, $9.99 at Autozone.

I'd prefer Purolator filters. Cheaper. Advance Auto is 2 miles from my house. Overall cleaner, nicer retail with higher quality auto parts than Autozone.

Are you guys sure the Purolater L10241 is ok?

http://www.pureoil.com/documents/Motorcycle_ATV/Motorcycle_ATV.pdf shows the ML16825 for most of our BMWs.

Just_wanna_Ride
I'd prefer Purolator filters. Cheaper. Advance Auto is 2 miles from my house.

Another filter available from Advance Auto in a K&N oil filter. They usually have to order it but it has a hex head on the bottom. No more special tools. A bit more expensive than the purolator but easier to find a wrench that fits.

Fram oil filter, cut apart, showing its cardboard components and the poor-quality seal on its bypass valve:

framopen.jpg

BMW OEM filter:

bmwopen.jpg

source: http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/fram.shtml

After reading that site, my impression is that most filters are good enough, but not Fram. If there were a filter made by Toyo Roki (OEM source for at least some Hondas and Kawasakis) that fits, that would be the best -- don't know if there is, though.

Archived