IGNORED

Quick Disconnect fittings

ncsonderman

I'm looking to add a couple of quick disconnect fuel fittings to the RT and wondered if anyone knew an inexpensive place to pick them up?

Well do ya? grin.gif

This is just a precursor to changing my choke cable. I wouldn't forsee any problems with that mxs unless the members of the forum have experienced otherwise.

thanks in advance! wave.gif

Thanks for the link! That is exactly what I was looking for. clap.gif

I do plan on checking all of the other cables while I'm in there. Only 14.5K on the clock and everything still looks good bar the choke cable. thumbsup.gif

Only 14.5K on the clock and everything still looks good bar the choke cable.

Choke cables don't usually go bad. What happened to yours?

Stan

While being on this topic is it feasible to lube the choke and throttle cables?

Probably can, but it's not recommended by BMW. They use a type of cable with an inner nylon sheath and don't need oiling. When the cables starts to feel stiff just replace them. They aren't very expensive.

The one exception to lubing cables is the clutch cable on the 1100's. It should have the little barrel ends lubed with grease every service. This prevents flexing of the cable strands which leads to broken clutch cables.

Stan

I'm looking to add a couple of quick disconnect fuel fittings to the RT
Your '04 RT doesn't already have them??? That's weird.

It's more likely for the '97 as the '04 says "sold" on it.

Stan

And the golden goose goes to... grin.gif

Not sure what happened to the choke cable as it was in that state when I picked the bike up. It is too loose to get any appreciative increase in idle speed when the lever is fully opened.

You're probably correct about replacing everything while in there. smirk.gif

It is too loose to get any appreciative increase in idle speed when the lever is fully opened.

There is an adjustment procedure, have you tried it?

Quite often a loose choke cable is because of too much free play in the other cables.

Stan

Check out this link Jiffytite . I have the connectors and will install them the next time I have the tupperware off. They are very nice quallity connectors at a reasonable cost.

Checked out the link and am impressed by the fittings. Do you remember which series that you picked up and their pricing?

Thanks

I've tried to adjust the end nearest to the choke lever to no avail. The rubber casing is in rough shape so I think the previous owner may have damaged it somehow.

I've got the Haynes manual and didn't see anything about adjustment other than what I tried.

Any info. I'm missing?

I've got the Haynes manual and didn't see anything about adjustment other than what I tried.

Keeping this simple because I hate to type.

The twist grip cable and the choke cable both go to a central junction box where they pull two other cables that actually go to the throttle bodies. If there is any actual slack in these two cables then the choke cable must first remove the slack before it can begin to open the throttle bodies. This is most likely your problem.

These two TB cables should have 0 free play but still not hold the TB's open. After adjusting these two cables you will need to do a throttle body sych procedure. Look under routine maintenance in you Haynes manual. It isn't hard but does require some tools.

From time to time there are tech days held by fellow riders. It might be worth while for you to attend one in your area.

Stan

I just adjusted my valves and throttlebodies on Saturday.

Not a problem to adjust the throttlebodies again.

Thanks for the advice on what to look for! wave.gif

It's more likely for the '97 as the '04 says "sold" on it.

Stan

Oops. My bad.

Just replaced all the cables except the choke cable(never use it) a few weeks ago. Also changed the box. My throttle was very stiff since I got the 1150RT used with 26K on it. I couldn't see any reason why it was so stiff but what a difference. It feels like a new bike. thumbsup.gif

D

Archived