IGNORED

Lefthanders

xoomerite

maybe switch to a GP shift pattern. smile.gif

Or adjust your gearing prior to corner entry. Or wait until after corner exit.

I had a lesson the other day, riding in the twisties of NC. Your boot will suffer if you upshift in a tight lefthander.
When that happened to me 50+ years ago on the race track, I made myself a heel shifter. I would still like to have one on the bike.
Or adjust your gearing prior to corner entry. Or wait until after corner exit.
Yeah, that was the thought that occurred to me; maximum lean is usually not the time to be executing an up shift!
I would still like to have one on the bike.

I have to say, that's the one thing I have on my R100, that I miss when I'm on the R1100. Oh well.

When that happened to me 50+ years ago on the race track, I made myself a heel shifter. I would still like to have one on the bike.

I like that approach, you get to stomp it into the next go faster gear avoiding a miss shift. It is intuitive and the Harley guys would feel right at home.

On the street it is a horse apiece proposition, but I was always fond of the right side shifter on motorcycles (pre 1974 it was the manufacturers choice). It was preferred side if you raced the various roundy-round formats and even on a race course with both left and right turns, there always is one more left turn than the number of right turns grin.gif

I am a little curious on this question though. If we are speaking about performance riding would it not be the case that the gear to best accelerate out of the turn would be selected before the point of maximum lean angle (apex) and when the time an up shift needs to be executed it would be during the maximum drive out of the turn when the machine is well on its way back to upright leaving plenty of clearnce for said left toe under the shift lever?

On the street it is a horse apiece proposition, but I was always fond of the right side shifter on motorcycles (pre 1974 it was the manufacturers choice). It was preferred side if you raced the various roundy-round formats and even on a race course with both left and right turns, there always is one more left turn than the number of right turns

Except in the U.K. and Europe eek.gif

Quick story..

When first riding Darth, I was doing a little 'spirited' riding and coming out of a turn and needing to work my way back up the gears, quickly found out just how good the linked brakes were on my 03 RT grin.gifgrin.gif

Evidently, my ageing mind had utilized the dormant "Norton body memory program" instead of the newly loaded BMW RT program dopeslap.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Archived