IGNORED

BMW Nav III, Bluetooth and Autocom

graemer57

I have a BMW Nav III on my R12RT

[...please let us not have another debate on how I'd have been better off buying a Garmin 2820... that one has been done to death! :-) ]

I also have an Autocom Super Pro AVi (a brilliant bit of kit!!!) and a Motorola SLVR phone.

I used to connect my previous phone (Sony Ericsson T610) into the Autocom via cable and it worked fine. [the T610 has now gone to phone heaven]

Now, as the Nav III has Bluetooth you would think I should be able to connect my new phone up that way. And, to a certain extent, I can.

The phone pairs with the Nav III really easily. I can access the phone book and make calls no problem...I can even hear them dialing and being answered but can I have a conversation?? Can I heck!!! Because, while the Autocom picks up the sound there is no connection for the microphone.....

I asked the good chaps at Autocom for their thoughts and they suggested swapping the Nav III for a Garmin 2820 (don't.. I said please don't go there.....) but that isnt an option.

I've written to Garmin for thier comments but as yet not got a reply.

Anyone out there have any constructive suggestions how to fix my problem so I can dial, hear AND talk via bluetooth using the Nav III ?????????????????????

Lets_Play_Two

Have you tried pairing your wireless head set to the Nav III? This is what you have to do with the Zumo, pair both the phone and the headset (kind of makes using it with a helmet on very unlikely), but why would you use your phone when you are riding anyway????

Hi,

You will need to get a blue tooth adapter that will attach to the Autocom. Autocom has one but it is expensive. A two way blue tooth adapter must exist somewhere, but I have not found one.

Willie

Rocket_Cowboy

My shop here says I need Garmin cable #999 ... this is the audio output and mic input cable for the Nav III so that I can pair a phone to the Nav III, have the Nav III cabled to the Autocom, and communicate through the Nav III to callers on the phone.

I haven't actually seen it installed that way, and my understanding is that the cable is on backorder from Autocom, so I'm going to wire my phone in through the Autocom (I use a razor v3, so similar phone) for now, but might check out the cable later when I can find more info on it.

Hi once again Graeme,

As you have discovered, the NavIII was really intended by BMW for use with the bluetooth-enabled version of their System V helmet (currently withdrawn, I know). Plus all the yet-to-released BMW add-ons, including the music interfaces.

I would ask Autocom again whether the BlueTooth kit might work with the Super-Pro. If the answer is no, then you are stuck with

a) a bluetooth head-set - possibly difficult with the Autocom speakers in the helmet already!

b) Another bluetooth helmet - Dainese Airstream, say - paired to the Nav III. Buy you'll need the Autocom stuff inside the helmet as well if you want to do bike-to-bike. You'll need another bluetooth helmet for rider to pillion or headset for the pillion.

c) buy a Zumo (or the slightly less useful 2820)!!!!!

I normally buy BMW everything - thank heavens I wasn't tempted this time. My 2820/Autocom combo is very good on the telephone front.

BTW: Rocket-Cowboy will be disappointed with the Autocom #999 cable if he has a NavIII because it fits the 2820 only, as you know.

Rocket_Cowboy
BTW: Rocket-Cowboy will be disappointed with the Autocom #999 cable if he has a NavIII because it fits the 2820 only, as you know.

I wasn't aware of that, but thankfully I decided to pass on that option anyway. Thanks for providing my justification on why I didn't "geek out" in this area of the intercom setup. I would have been pissed to wait another week for a part, only to find out it didn't work with my GPS.

I wasn't aware of that, but thankfully I decided to pass on that option anyway. Thanks for providing my justification on why I didn't "geek out" in this area of the intercom setup. I would have been pissed to wait another week for a part, only to find out it didn't work with my GPS.

Charlie, to explain the situation properly, the cable for the 2820 contains a plug for the microphone socket on the Left Hand Side of the 2820. This all-important socket is missing from the NavIII because the extra buttons on the cradle cover the LHS.

Graeme, please tell us whether BigChill's idea of the Bluetooth adaptor will work.

Rocket_Cowboy
Charlie, to explain the situation properly, the cable for the 2820 contains a plug for the microphone socket on the Left Hand Side of the 2820. This all-important socket is missing from the NavIII because the extra buttons on the cradle cover the LHS.

Makes sense. I guess I was getting the impression that the plug under the LHS extra buttons might serve that purpose, but since it's fed off the standard Garmin power connector, I was doubtful on that too.

Either way, thanks for clarifying the situation. Definitely appreciated.

.....but why would you use your phone when you are riding anyway????

I know it probably sounds facetious... to receive calls. I often use my bike for work trips and need to stay in contact with the office. Also when stopped to make occasional calls without having to take off gloves, helmet etc etc

Archived