IGNORED

Lightweight, compact, powered pump

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

At the Un in '03, I watched DCB fill his freshly plugged tire with CO2 cartridges. As I recall, it took many cartridges (some contributed by other riders on the scene) to fill his tire to the point where it was ridable (but still not up to the desired pressure).

At the Un in '05, Shawn and I struggled to fill his freshly plugged tire using a small bicycle tire pump ("small" means small enough to fit in glovebox). After much sweat and swearing, we had it up to maybe 5 psi, enough to idle down to a gas station a half-mile away where they had a compressor.

So the CO2 cartridges - unless you're carrying a half-dozen or more - can leave you flat, and the bicycle pump (which I've been carrying for a while) is a bit like trying to clean sand off a beach with a pair of tweezers.

So...a declaration: I'm not attending any more Un's, since that's where people seem to get flat tires. crazy.gif

And a question: where can I find an ultra-small bike-powered air compressor? People have talked about one you can buy where you strip off the plastic housing to further reduce its size. That sounds lovely, where can I get it?

Jerry Johnston

I've had mine so long I forgot where I got it but noticed Walmart has one in the bicycle dept that you migh not even have to strip. It was approx $20

This week I bought a Slime unit for $14.99+tax at Advance Auto Parts. It has no built in gauge, just the hose & elec. connection. I took the plastic cover off but reinstalled because it would easily fit in the side fairing storage.

I let 10# out of the front tire & reinflated using the unit & it took approx 90 sec to reinflate. Had heard good things about the Slime units.

They make several models, this one is the smallest they mfg.

The good news seems to be that I could plug it into the same pigtail I use for my Battery Tender!

$15 at AutoZone seems like a bargain to boot. thumbsup.gif

I have three. I have the top-of-the-line "cycle pump" that cost over $100 with the cool inline guage. I have the $25 "airman" with integrated guage and I have the Walmart special. All three work. The cycle-pump works the best with a highly accurate guage but probably not worth the money difference. The airman works well and is compact plus is available for a fair price. The Walmart special is by far the largest and has no guage but does work and clearly worth the $10. I haven't tried the Slime but it looks good and if I need anotherk, I'll give it a try.

Mitch--

I did what you're talking about a few years ago--I bought a small Campbell Hausfeld inflator at Sears, removed the housing, and attached a BMW plug to it. The inflator was about $12 (on sale) and the BMW plug around $5. It's pretty compact.

MCN did a test of mini-pumps a couple of months ago and rated the aforementioned Slime pump a "best buy" at $34.95. They did test a stripped-down Campbell Hausfeld pump they referred to as "Dave's Campbell Hausfeld Chopper," which cost $19.95 and rated it a close second to the Slime (a score of 21.5 and 22.0, respectively). They indicate that the current Campbell Hausfeld model you'd want is the RP3200.

Motorcycle COnsumer News answers this question in the Nov 2006 issue. The original compact pump was described in the October 2002 issue, and was based on a common luncbox sized Campbell Haudfeld pump disassembled to its bare essentials. You can see this here http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/features/Mini%2012%20Volt%20Compressor.pdf

However, given new pumps tested, I would not go this route. The pump that won was the Slime Power Sports Tire Inflator, at $35, weighing 1.2 pounds, and measuring 6.25"x6.5"x2".

Hope this helps!

-MKL

I got the CH job from Squall-Mart also just before the last El Paseo.

Got to use it, too. I was greeted on a 34 degree morning , in Helen, Ga., with a sheet metal screw in the rear tire. Had all of 5psi.

It took a little while to inflate, but it did the job. As did the Dyna-Plug kit I bought at the same time.

Hadn't had a flat in 25 yrs. Never carried repair kits, either.

Guess that's what I get for finally being prepared. tongue.gif

Bon-Aire

Max Power 200 psi

5 1/2 L 2" W 4 1/2" H (0r less) This compares well w/the modified CH version and you protect it in original design.

The modified ones got smaller, then they told you to put them in a plastic container bigger than this one is to protect the innards. dopeslap.gif

Has very long cord (15-20 feet) so you can use in large area.

Cig plug adapter end. I left it that way so I can use it in other vehicles if needed.

Carry BMW adapter plug anyway for cell phone emergency power.

Works well.

Was $12.95 at Auto Zone years ago.

I will chime in on the Slime pump also. It's small enough and packs many adapters for power sources. It's rated up to 300psi and been used to pump 60psi,(took a while to seat bead!) into an airhead rear tire at FingerLakes last fall. I just bought 4 more to give to clubs for door prizes while on sale at Northern Tool at $24.99 each. sale flyer 1712, page 27, price in this book good until Jan 29th.

The good news seems to be that I could plug it into the same pigtail I use for my Battery Tender!

If you're talking about a pigtail with a BMW plug on it that you plug into your bike's aux power jack, go for it.

But if you've installed the pictail that comes with the battery tender with the two-pole SAE plug on it, don't use that one. I tried it on my V-Strom and blew the fuse in about 2 seconds. So I'm thinking the wiring in the BT pigtail isn't big enough to handle the current (or they used too small a fuse).

I just went down to my local Cycle gear store and picked up the Slime sport tire inflater. There price at the store was $35 but I mentioned I saw it on there web advertised at $29.99 and they honored that price.

Sounds like you've already gotten the answer you need from the previous posts, but just to throw in my lowly 'two cents', some time ago I had the same question, did a bit of research, and bought the Wally World $9.99 pump.

At the time, the Slime brand pump wasn't available yet, and the 'Cycle Pump' was generally given the nod as 'best'. After a little checking around, I found that the manufacturer of the Cycle Pump used the same vendor, and specific pump model as the Wally World pump, so with a $90 difference it was a no brainer.

The trick is to determine the quality of the piston (and other components) in the pump; in general whether they are plastic or metal. The same pump maker will have essentially the same pump, but sell one model with a plastic piston for a lower price than the same pump equipped with a more robust metal piston. I have no idea what is in the Slime pump.

One more thought; being a pilot, I love having a backup since emergency pumps, and such, always seem to fail when you're really out in the middle of BFE. To that end, I also still carry the CO2 tubes, and bought a little device from a camping store that allows controlled dispensement of the gas to inflate 'whatever'. The tube supplied in the BMW tire repair kit wastes a lot of the CO2, and doesn't allow for partial use of a CO2 cylinder (not that that would be an issue in this type of application).

Jerry Johnston

Wal-Mart is supposed to carry them also but the only thing I saw was a Cambell Hausfeld at $10. It was approx. 1" larger all around. It did have a built in gauge however - very optimistic 300lb. You probably paid tax but it's still cheaper than shipping. Amazon.com has the Slime 40001 at $35.

ShovelStrokeEd

Mitch,

I have just such a gadget branded "SLIME". The whole shebang, compressor, wires, air line and a useless tire gauge fits into a package 6.5" square by about 1" thick, at least it comes in a zippered pouch of that dimension. I was never able to get it back in after unpacking it. Has a pair of alligator clips and a SAE connector on it. I don't leave home without it in either my luggage or tank bag.

For reference, it will take a 180/55=17 tire from 32 to 40 PSIG in about 2 minutes of pumping time.

Cost was somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 bux.

Oops!!!! blush.gif Looks like it was well covered. Gotta start reading the whole thread before I post.

Ignore all of above and just +1 more on Slime.

I did a tire change in my garage using only the tools that I carry with me. Breaking the bead was the biggest hassle but my slime pump aired up the tire and seated the bead with no problem

If you're talking about a pigtail with a BMW plug on it that you plug into your bike's aux power jack, go for it.

But if you've installed the pictail that comes with the battery tender with the two-pole SAE plug on it, don't use that one. I tried it on my V-Strom and blew the fuse in about 2 seconds. So I'm thinking the wiring in the BT pigtail isn't big enough to handle the current (or they used too small a fuse).

Thanks Bill,

Hadn't thought about that.

thumbsup.gif

I have the Slime unit, purchased at the Chicken Rally 2006 when my old kmart unit died. It is nice and small. I now carry it in my car.

I also now have the Cycle Pump, which is a more rugged but slight bigger and comparatively expensive unit, it still fits under the tail piece on my R1150RS.

Guess I’m a little late to chime in on this, but I got mine at Meijers ( a Michigan based store) for about $10. Was not the slime brand, but for the price, what the hack. Took off all the pump plastic and installed appropriate plug for accessory socket. Keep it stored in a ziplock in the tail section. Pump works great, but I've got to come up with some type of stand/cover/cage/whatever to prevent the moving gear/crank from hitting the ground when the pump is in operation. Kind of bounces all over when the gear hits the ground, which makes it seem kind of silly. crazy.gif

I had a recent occasion to use it on a 40 degree (F) night when it was starting to rain. Unfortunately the puncture was too large to even hold the air the pump was providing for very long. However, it did give me enough to get to a gas station, where I could fill it enough to then go to a bike place to get it patched properly. I’m almost positive CO2 cartridges would have not worked as well.

At the Un in '03, I watched DCB fill his freshly plugged tire with CO2 cartridges. As I recall, it took many cartridges (some contributed by other riders on the scene) to fill his tire to the point where it was ridable (but still not up to the desired pressure).

At the Un in '05, Shawn and I struggled to fill his freshly plugged tire using a small bicycle tire pump ("small" means small enough to fit in glovebox). After much sweat and swearing, we had it up to maybe 5 psi, enough to idle down to a gas station a half-mile away where they had a compressor.

So the CO2 cartridges - unless you're carrying a half-dozen or more - can leave you flat, and the bicycle pump (which I've been carrying for a while) is a bit like trying to clean sand off a beach with a pair of tweezers.

So...a declaration: I'm not attending any more Un's, since that's where people seem to get flat tires. crazy.gif

And a question: where can I find an ultra-small bike-powered air compressor? People have talked about one you can buy where you strip off the plastic housing to further reduce its size. That sounds lovely, where can I get it?

I have a Cycle Pump with the pressure gauge attachment. I use it for my Beemer, truck and Mt. bike. I don't tour without it and a good tire plug kit.

Cheers!

Joe Frickin' Friday

Blimey, I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition. 30 responses to a question about a portable pump?

Thanks for all your input. thumbsup.gif Looks like a few good options out there; I'll have to sit down and digest all of this for a while before I decide.

Thanks for this thread - I was thinking about modifying a larger unit to make it small enough to carry on a bike, and the discovery of the Slime compact inflator was a godsend. I bought one the other day, but one item in the instructions surprised me - they say not to run the vehicle motor when using the inflator - anybody know why this is the case?

one item in the instructions surprised me - they say not to run the vehicle motor when using the inflator - anybody know why this is the case?

You read the instructions? grin.gif

I'm not sure why the instructions state that, but I've used my pump with the engine running and not had a problem. Matter of fact, I prefer using it that way, as the 12GSes have had battery issues (actually software problems that affected the battery), and having full tires wouldn't do me much good if I can't start the bike. wink.gif The battery/software issue has probably been fixed in subsequent software releases by BMW, but I haven't been into the shop in a while.

they say not to run the vehicle motor when using the inflator

Probably lawyer-speak in case somebody runs over themselves while pumping up a tire dopeslap.gif

A fully charged battery is at 12.8v at most, probably with the pump running at around 12.6. With the engine running voltage is probably closer to 14v. I guess the Slime pump prefers the lower voltage.

Lone_RT_rider
Blimey, I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition. 30 responses to a question about a portable pump?

At least you didn't ask about oil, or god forbid K&N air filters.... crazy.giflmao.gif

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I am not particularly mechanically inclined, though I was able to use the stop & go plugger and plug my tire yesterday (in the garage, not on the road). Then went and bought the slime pump recommended here.

Scanned this thread, but failed to see how best to power up. The cigarette light attachment doesn't fit the bmw power outlet and the battery poles on the r1100rt is under the gas tank so I'd have to remove at least some tupperware which I have not yet tried.

confused.gif Suggestions?

Then went and bought the slime pump recommended here.

Scanned this thread, but failed to see how best to power up. The cigarette light attachment doesn't fit the bmw power outlet and the battery poles on the r1100rt is under the gas tank so I'd have to remove at least some tupperware which I have not yet tried.

confused.gif Suggestions?

Try the BMW cigarette lighter plug adapter.

If you only plan to use it on the BMW, buy a plug that fits the BMW socket from your dealer, Powerlet, John Deere, Susquehanna, etc. and replace the cigarette plug with a BMW plug. If you want to keep the cigarette plug to be able to use it in the car, get an adapter cable that plugs into the BMW socket and has a cigar receptacle on the other end. Another option would be to remove the tupperware and install an SAE plug directly to the battery and leave it under the seat somewhere and replace the cigar plug on the compressor with an SAE plug. If you decide to get a Battery tender or heated jacket, you can use the same SAE plug to charge the battery or run the heated gear.

Archived