IGNORED

ATGATT ?

Lineareagle

Ok so I know what atgatt is, but I looked it up on Wikipedia anyway and ran into this informative little article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATGATT

I thought it might generate some interest, discussion and awareness.

A good round of issues we should all be cognizant of, COGITO.

Ride safe, ride well.

The person in the "Personal Protective Equipment" photo is wearing running shoes. eek.gif

That's AATGATT (AlmostATGATT).

Can you believe that photo? How about the bungee snag on the pillion as well!

Looks like GAATGATT - gag almost atgatt

OK who is going to edit this for Wikipedia?

Lets_Play_Two
The person in the "Personal Protective Equipment" photo is wearing running shoes. eek.gif

Can you believe that photo? How about the bungee snag on the pillion as well!

Looks like GAATGATT - gag almost atgatt

OK who is going to edit this for Wikipedia?

That's the trouble with this crowd....distracted by the pretty pictures.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Hard to tell, but is there any knee armor in his pantaloons? They just look like plain ol' black jeans from here.

See, and I thought that it was sorta odd that in the MSF pic, they had to have padded baricades and then a barbed wire topped fence to keep them from escaping... smile.gif

Those padded baricades would have been really nice to have for the girl that hopped the curb and ran into the chain-link fence in our class. eek.gif

If you look at the label of any European branded bike gear it will state that it is not PPE. This is because the European Union regulations on PPE would then apply to them with all sorts of implications for insurance, liability, testing, C of Cs for the gear etc. etc. The costs of this would have to be passed onto the purchasers and the purchase price would rocket. Oh, and in Europe PPE must be replaced every two years.

Back to the picture - in Europe I see hundreds of riders wearing the uniform of Full helmet (an approved helmet is compulsory throughout Europe) Paddock Jacket, Jeans and running shoes (we call them "trainers"). The other common uniform is full leathers, race boots, race gloves and full helmet with (illegal) dark visor.

The BMW uniform is armoured textile jacket (with or without Hi-Viz belts/vests) and trousers, touring boots, touring gloves and flip-front helmet.

Cruiser uniform is HD leather Jacket, Jeans, 'cowboy' boots and matt-black 3/4 helmets.

All of those come under someones personal definition of ATGATT. What is your personal definition - I bet it is different to mine.

Andy

What struck me about that wiki was that it nearly ignores the role of rider error, or lack of rider training, as a cause of accidents, particularly their role in most single-vehicle accidents. That seems to miss a pretty big part of the overall safety picture. We can't blame car drivers for all of our risks.

With that perspective, I guess it is no surprise, but it is still a disappointment, that there's a far more expansive discussion of protective gear than safety and skills training. Seems to me that the easiest and most important safety enhancements start with the space between the rider's ears, rather than what the rider wears on his/her head, back, hands and feet.

What struck me about that wiki was that it nearly ignores the role of rider error, or lack of rider training, as a cause of accidents, particularly their role in most single-vehicle accidents.

YA, I was totally going to say that but you beat me too it.

So, YA...what he said.

Misti cool.gif

Seems to me that the easiest and most important safety enhancements start with the space between the rider's ears, rather than what the rider wears on his/her head, back, hands and feet.

Most effective, but NOT the "easiest" safety enhancement. You can't make people learn. DAMHIK

frown.gif

Archived