IGNORED

Moto Guzzi Norge 1200

Lawman

Yea seen it posted somewhere else last month.

Very enticing.....mmmmmmmmmmm thumbsup.gif

Also some talk 'bout the Polaris Sno Dealers jumpin' on the "band wagon" as being "Guzzi Dealers".

Havin' been a former "Guzzi owner",....I likes...!thumbsup.gif

From what I've read (all in the original German), you would be trading up from an 1150RT and trading down from a 1200RT.

But then it a lot less expensive than a 1200RT..........and it has that certain Guzzi character that no BMW will ever provide.

From what I've read (all in the original German), you would be trading up from an 1150RT and trading down from a 1200RT.

But then it a lot less expensive than a 1200RT..........and it has that certain Guzzi character that no BMW will ever provide.

But learning the "hand controls" would be a bitch.

BK102.jpg

I sat on it at the International Motorcycle Show in Long Beach. I don't get it. To me, it appears to be an RT knockoff. It felt extremely heavy and the specs indicate that it is way underpowered.

I got the little folder in the mail and liked the looks of the bike, so I got online to check it out. Kind of interesting but I got the same feeling, it was halfway between an R1150 and 1200. I liked the price and there are twice as many dealers in the state when compared to BMW's one dealer. But I am having a hard time getting past the name. When I think of Norge, I think of refrigerators and a certain SNL skit.

I'll check them out next summer anyway as I start my quest for a new bike.

It felt extremely heavy and the specs indicate that it is way underpowered.

Thanks to shorter gearing the in-gear acceleration figures are similar to the 1200RT. It is not as fast at the top end.

I sat on it at the show in Long Beach as well and it felt very top heavy and just heavy overall.

They had a gaggle of Guzzis out in the parking lot for demos, but it was dark and I didn't get close enough to see if a Norge was in the fleet. Did you check those bikes out?

I didn't wait for it and bought the K12 GT instead. My prime reason, after 13 years on a 1000 SP III (now available) was the dealership situation, locally. BMW has a real, bonafied servicing dealer; MG a part-time guy who stocks zero parts and has part-time help.

I still love the Guzzi (God, the exhaust note alone is enough to convince anyone) but when they get into the range of complication and costs that these machine now have, I'll go for a real dealer with real service...not to mention 3 year warranty over one (probably a good reason for the price differential too). And let's not forget that Italian attitude of indifference to the US market, not to mention the Owner-of-the-hour management.

I've not ridden a Norge but the specifications don't appear to stack up against the R12RT. Power - 66kw vs 81kw; Torque - 100Nm vs 115Nm; Dry weight - 246kg vs 228kg.

The price difference does put the Guzzi about $3K cheaper but the Guzzi price doesn't include panniers, cruise control, trip computer, nor heated grips.

The real proof would be in the riding though...

I've not ridden a Norge but the specifications don't appear to stack up against the R12RT. Power - 66kw vs 81kw; Torque - 100Nm vs 115Nm; Dry weight - 246kg vs 228kg.

The price difference does put the Guzzi about $3K cheaper but the Guzzi price doesn't include panniers, cruise control, trip computer, nor heated grips.

The real proof would be in the riding though...

UK price range is from 8500 UK Pounds for the base model, up to 10200 for the fully equiped - heated grips, electric screen, luggage (inc top box), Tom-Tom rider gps. This compares to 10900 for the base R1200RT up to 11700 for the R1200RT-SE, then add the GPS....

The biggest problem I saw for the Guzxzi was a lack of passenger room. See this thread for pictures.

Andy

It's a handsome bike, but I spoke with some Guzzi dealers at the Dealers Show in Indy last year, and they told me they had been scavenging parts from new bikes to do warranty repairs on customer bikes, because they were having enormous difficulties getting new parts from Guzzi. Of course, this also rendered their new stock unsellable as parts of the bikes were missing.

And if you think BMWs dealer network is small and getting smaller, check out Guzzis list of dealers.

And if you think BMWs dealer network is small and getting smaller, check out Guzzis list of dealers.

We use to have a Guzzi dealership in town, but then the local LEOs also rode them at the time. Once they switched to Harley's it seemed the local shop also fizzled out. I certainly like the looks of the Norge, but I can't see myself having to drive over 200 miles to the only Guizzi shop around to get service. Besides, I just love my RT. grin.gif

Wayne

I tried it as I am hoping to change my R11RT next year as I am going to be 40. I went hoping not to like it. It was good but not good enough for me to swap . Also the bike felt a little cheap in places, the adjustment for the basic screen was two plastic nuts, and it only moved about 2 inches. It did not feel as well put together as a BMW, so I thik my mid life crisis will be spent on another BMW, will have to wait and see how the KGT prices come out when thee bikes start to become available on the used market. I still am trying to get a long test on both the KGT and the RT

BMW stopped making anything I'd buy to replace my R1150RS with the introduction of hexhead ST - it simply doesn't suit my taste and even at barely 40 I'm not old enough for the RT yet (the new one of which I also don't like as much as the old R11RT)

The Guzzi Norge is about the only thing I have seen that I like and is between the old R11RS and the RT, but there is that lack of dealer and parts problem, my local dealer, also a BMW dealer, is currently not getting new MG's due to dispute with factory over warranty reimbursement. The reviews I have read make it sound like a worthy bike, but if the support isn't there I'd never feel comfortable taking it long distance which defeats the purpose of having that bike in the first place.

For now at least my R1150RS and my money are staying put.

• 5 months later...
Slartidbartfast

This is not your father's Moto Guzzi!

Took one for a long test ride a couple of weekends ago. It is a really nice looking bike, both in overall appearance and close-up fit and finish. The Aprillia/Piaggio cash infusion is showing and there are some big improvements over Guzzis of old. Standard equipment for your $15K (MSRP) includes heated grips, power screen, ABS (switchable) and some really smart matching luggage.

Riding impression is pretty good. I didn't think it felt so heavy (solid and stable, yes) but it's obviously not a sport-bike. Handling was quite acceptable and I was able to get some pretty serious lean in the corners without undue concern - I would say people's assumptions of it being between an 1150 and 1200 RT are about right.

Power was adequate - I had just got off an R1200S so it might have been better than it felt - with lots of torque throughout the rev range. Like the BMW's it probably needs to be revved more than you might expect for a 1200 twin. However, I felt like it was a little short geared although I would hesitate to call for an extra OD gear when so much torque is available. Vibration was minimal although there was a definite tingle in the bars. A sweet-spot at 75-80 might be messed up with higher gearing.

The sound was heavenly - a respectable purr - not loud enough to wear you out or annoy the neighbors but not as antiseptic as a new RT.

The riding position was quite comfortable for me at 6'1", although if it were mine, a two-inch higher screen would be required (available aftermarket already I gather) and slightly higher bars might be nice, although I could probably live quite comfortably with the stock items. I didn't sit on the seat for long enough to notice any discomfort and can't comment on passenger accommodation.

Gripes/dislikes: The mirrors look like they came out of a toy catalog - They are a bit small and don't match the style of the bike (bright chrome finish). Still, they are conventional, hand-control mounted items and would be easy to replace. The electronic display on the lower right of the dash has some cool features (trip, charging voltage, etc.) which you could cycle through with a hand-control button but is angled too close to vertical and part of the display was hidden by the trim ring around the speedo. I had to duck my head to see the whole display. This is the only issue that may not be fixable for me. Also there were annoying reflections from the silver-colored trim on the top-yoke (I would remove this trim and paint it black or cover with carbon-fiber tape). Finally, although I suspect the overall ammount of heat coming back at me was less than from my GS, it was concentrated on my shins. I would seriously consider adding some heat-resistant patches to my riding pants for summer use - It was very noticeable but would not prevent me from buying one.

There's not much data around to gauge long-term reliability although a couple of knowledgeable mechanics told me they would expect it to be similar to an equivalent BMW.

Overall, I think it is a great bike. If I were in the market for a new touring bike, I would very seriously consider buying one.

Slartidbartfast

Not really. I guess there is more difference than one might expect between a 45-degree vee and a 90-degree vee. At least I strongly hope it's not just me and the bike actually sounds nothing like a Harley smile.gif

Oh, I almost forgot, there is a clutch rattle when you pull the (light) clutch in. Not annoying but enough to remind you you're on a unique bike. The norge definitely has 'character' but not as a euphemism for bad manners, ugly vibes or s**t handling.

Since the engine closely resembles the H-D V-twin, does the exhaust sound similar?

Not even close. The Guzzi is a 90-degree V-twin; HD's is 45-degree. The Guzzi sounds more like a Ducati.

But Italian bike lovers can tell the difference in sound of a Duc (with desmo valves) vs. a Guzzi.

Ride a Guzzi and I can almost guarantee you'll fall in love with the exhaust note - it sounds like a small-block Ford V8.

Since the engine closely resembles the H-D V-twin, does the exhaust sound similar?

Oh no, nothing sounds as good as a Guzzi exhaust note, it's a lot like that of a hot rodded small block chevy. Very sweet.

Bob

thumbsup.gif

I sat on it at the show in Long Beach as well and it felt very top heavy and just heavy overall.

They had a gaggle of Guzzis out in the parking lot for demos, but it was dark and I didn't get close enough to see if a Norge was in the fleet. Did you check those bikes out?

James I have ridden the Guzzy Norge & was less than impressed with it.. I was seriously looking at that bike as the lines of that bike are great & the overall stance is impressive..

But a test ride made me reconsider..

-The trans gear spacing is less than desirable with funny gear spacing & lots of gear lash (kind of clunky & lots of slop)..

-Power windshield switches were not convenient as you had to take your hands off the bars to operate..

-The engine was jerky with lots of throttle gain for little throttle twist (hard to ride in traffic).. Not a seamless engine power band (kind of disappointing).. Low speed throttle control was jerky..

-Brakes felt good with good modulation (didn’t try ABS at speed though)..

-Seat felt decent but didn’t ride it that long to really know..

-Did a few high speed (over 100mph) fast high lateral load pot hole dodges & the chassis felt weak with noticeable uncoupling of the front to rear wheels (felt like frame twist)..

-In my opinion (take that for what it’s worth) the bike looks better than it rode..

Twisty

The last issue of MCN had a review of the Norge 1200. They made a big deal of comparing it to the 1200RT based on performance, features, and price. Overall the reviewers liked it a lot. Parts availability was maybe the biggest concern mentioned.

Archived