IGNORED

Nuvi 660 or 2820

Heywood

Last week while I was in Brazil my lovely wife bought me a Nuvi 660 for Christmas. Anyone running one? I was leaning toward the 2820 with XM radio.....but I really don't want to act like an even bigger horses ass than usual by exchanging the 660.....unless it's less than desirable for cycle use. While the XM option interest me, I seldom listened to the sound system on my 03 LT and have no intention of installing one on my R1200 rt. Do I open the box or exchange it for the 2820? dopeslap.gif

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

The Nuvi 660 is a very nice unit--The main problem for motorcycle use is that it is not waterproof, so you'd have to protect it from the rain. For a fully qualified motorcycle unit check out the Garmin Zumo 550. Hope this helps.

You should be aware that you will only get XM radio on the 2820 if you opt to pay for the GXM-30 antenna/receiver, which, last time I looked, will cost you $267 extra. As far as I can tell, the only two Garmins that come with the antenna/receiver in the box are the 376 and the recently discontinued 2730, which is available at Costco.com and other online stores for $599 for as long as they last. I think the reason the 2730 was discontinued was only due to the fact that Garmin didn't want to sell it bundled with the antenna for such a relatively low price. Note that the 2730 doesn't have Bluetooth, however.

All that said, the Nuvi sure is a nice bit of equipment. Just not for motorcycles -- at least, not on a rainy day!

Philip

Archived