IGNORED

Ridin' in the Wet

AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser

No one knows for sure if El Nino will rear his wet head this winter, but there is one thing you can count on: If you are a “serious,” or even “not so” serious rider, one day you will be caught having to ride in the rain. How do you increase your chances of arriving home, maybe a little wet, but safely? To me, there are at least three important issues to discuss. Riding gear, equipment, and everyday riding skills are areas we can examine that will help us arrive at our destination safely. While these points are not all the things a rider must look at when the weather turns bad, they’ve helped me survive a few rainy seasons! thumbsup.gif

When the weather turns inclement, personal riding gear must be up to the task of keeping you safe, warm and dry. Invest in a quality riding suit and/or rain suit. Try to find something that is waterproof AND offers high visibility. Textile suits such as the apparel offered by Riderwearhouse or MotoPort are excellent buys. Sure, they are spendy, but what is your skin worth, especially since the odds of you falling down are much higher in the wet! There are also many manufacturers of quality rain suits on the market. Look for a rain suit that is lined and is ventilated in order to avoid that clammy feeling during summer rainstorms. Also, consider one piece or two piece suits. One piece suits are harder to put on for some folks, but will keep you dryer. Two piece rain gear is easier to put on, and somewhat more versatile. For example, sometimes after a heavy rain I will just wear the bottoms to protect my suit from road splash and grime…Consider buying waterproof boots and covers for your gloves as well. Glove covers such as the RiderWearhouse “lobster claw” style covers allow you to wear your regular thinner gloves underneath. This gives you better “feel” of your controls. Whether you chose to buy covers or wear heavier gloves you want your hands to be warm. In a wet weather emergency, do you really want your hands to be cold and numb? I didn’t think so!

When the clouds begin to spit you want your iron horse to be in the best condition possible. Start with your tires. Check the wear bars. If you can put an old Lincoln head penny in the groove, and the top of Lincoln’s head just shows, you may want to put a new set of shoes on your horse. When the tire grooves are too shallow, water does not effectively channel away from the tire. Instead a film builds up between the tire and the road surface that your tire may slide on. This is called “hydroplaning.” In a car you will spin once the tires lose their traction. Once your bike’s front tire hydroplanes, be glad you followed my advice to wear good protective gear, because you are soon going to test its’ capabilities! Then, move to the brakes and electrical system. Sure, ABS is a big help, especially on dry, flat surfaces, but your skill really comes into play when ridin’ in the wet. Likewise, your bike’s lights should be in the best working order possible. If it rains a lot where you live, consider investing in aftermarket lights. There are several manufacturers of excellent lighting systems to choose from. Be bright, be seen, and stay alive!

Of all the factors that will help you stay alive while ridin’ in the wet, your own situational awareness and skills level is the most important. Like the ad says, “Know when to say when.” If you are riding when the rain begins, take a coffee break until the rain washes the oil off the road surface. Here in Southern California, it is imprudent to ride during the first few minutes of the first storm of the season. The road surface is just too slippery. And, to take this point further, most experienced riders know there is a point during a rainstorm when it is best to get off the bike. I remember during a Four Corners Ride near Bangor Maine the rain coming so hard that it was running like a river down my neck, all the way into my boots…I wasn’t sure if I was drowning or not, so I took a break. Sure, I didn’t get to my destination on time, but I did get there alive!

Think of some of the other dry-street skills that you MUST employ to stay safe in the rain. “Speed Kills” is not just a catchy slogan. Excessive speed is a killer on the highway, and speeding during a rain storm may be suicide. Slow down! Tail-gating is a fool’s game when it’s dry. When it is wet it is sheer stupidity. Do maintain more than the minimum space cushion between you and other drivers; don’t allow yourself to get boxed in between vehicles; when that cager seems to be climbing up your exhaust pipe, change lanes. When he starts to hydroplane in lazy circles because he wasn’t paying attention, you won’t be in his neighborhood! Keep your eyes up on the horizon as far as you can, and scan extra-diligently for vehicles or objects that may enter your safety zone.

By wearing the proper gear and selecting the right equipment, you help insure your safety on those wet rides. Practice your motorcycle skills. Slow down in the rain. Remember the basic rules for controlling your motorcycle in wet or dry conditions, and then go practice in the rain. Next time it’s pouring outside, wave to the guy on the silver RT. It might be me!

Cheers,

Steve in So Cal

This post is worthless without pic..... Well, wait, actually... it's not. smile.gif

Thanks for typing this up Steve. There's no earth shattering new information there but it's all true and an excellent reminder.

I look forward to your post on how to ride in snow. thumbsup.gif

I look forward to your post on how to ride in snow.

Riding in snow is easy: just follow PhillyFlash! grin.gif

Nice reminder write-up, Steve!

AdventurePoser
This post is worthless without pic..... Well, wait, actually... it's not. smile.gif

Thanks for typing this up Steve. There's no earth shattering new information there but it's all true and an excellent reminder.

You are right...no earthshattering revelations here, just some common sense (to me at least) things to remember about riding in the wet, especially for those of us who view riding in the wet as an "event."

Have fun, and I'll be thinking about that "Riding in the Snow" article!thumbsup.gif

Steve in So Cal

No instructions needed, just take the bike to R&R and have them swap out the front tire with a ski and the rear tire with a studded tire - or put chains on it, your choice. eek.gifdopeslap.giflmao.gif

Francois_Dumas

Good advice Steve..... and I guess you guys over in that Sunny State don't see too much rain in a year, do you ?? smirk.gif

I DO have a problem with your 'tire thread depth measurement method' though....... we don't have ANYBODY's head on our Euro coins anymore eek.giflmao.gif

I would add, be careful on painted lines, especially at intersections as you put your foot down. smile.gif

Add sewer(manhole) covers,metal grates,railroad tracks,speedbumps,leaf covered areas,dirt(now mud) covered corners and driveways and tar snakes to the list!!

JR356

AdventurePoser

Wow, you guys are all right....I think I'm gonna be afraid to go outside in the wet now!

Thanks for adding those important tips. I'm sure you guys who ride in the rain all the time take this as "no brainer" stuff, but hopefully this discussion may help those of us in sunnier climes who are rarely rained upon!

Good riding to you all...

Cheers,

Steve in So Cal

Well Steve, I believe it is a brainer.... as often as I ride in the rain its sometimes easy to get complasant.Everyone needs reminders once in awhile.

Thanks.

AdventurePoser
Well Steve, I believe it is a brainer.... as often as I ride in the rain its sometimes easy to get complasant.Everyone needs reminders once in awhile.

Thanks.

And you DO ride in the rain, Tank!

Steve

ps-How are the fish?

This is some really great advice. One thing to add is if you are riding in the rain, leave a few

minutes earlier than you would otherwise.

And remember, when the weather is wet, other drivers see even less of you than they do

talking on the phone smile.gif

Last, but not least, if you don't think you'll be caught in the rain. Think again. It's better to

take the time now when you don't need to be somewhere to practice your rain riding skills.

Thanks again Steve for a great post!

Ian

Steve,

thanks for the reminders, just climbed back on a bike (this summer) after almost 20 years away, was a little anxious about getting caught in the rain until I had some fresh saddle time.

Got caught in a drizzle abot 60 miles from home and to my surprise with heated handgrips and a decent rainsuit it was actually enjoyable.

I called my wife and told her I'd be late for dinner and headed away from home for a few more hours.

Amazing how far the bikes/gear have come since the 70s.

The heightened awareness and caution actually enhanced the riding experience wink.gif.

Bob

One other thing I was concerned about while riding in a heavy down pour on the highway was the oil temp.

A while back I rode from just south of Creston to Surrey in heavy rain most of the way. Apart from the usual dangers, I noticed that the oil temp was at two bars most of the time while doing 110 KMH.

I don't suppose this would cause any damage, but a lighter oil would probably been better.

No one knows for sure if El Nino will rear his wet head this winter, but there is one thing you can count on: If you are a “serious,” or even “not so” serious rider, one day you will be caught having to ride in the rain. How do you increase your chances of arriving home, maybe a little wet, but safely?

I live in Vancouver where it rains 15 months a year (!). OK, well at least 6 months anyway!

I also commute the entire year to and from work (15 km each way), nearly year-round. Often in pouring rain.

I guess my reaction is, what's the big deal about rain? I wear Gortex/leather boots, a goretex jacket, and if needed, rain pants. I arrive dry.

Sure, you need to be aware of traffic more, but it is no big thing.

One thing to remember is NOT to use the front brake heavily at low speeds. At low speeds (say, less than 10-20 km/h), there is not much gyroscopic stability in the wheels. As a result, hitting the front brake hard can cause the bike to slide out in the blink of an eye. Ask me how I know!

At low speed in the rain, it is safer to use the rear brake more heavily. Once you are up to speed, you can use the front one more normally; even if it locks up briefly, the gyro action of the wheels will keep the bike upright.

AdventurePoser

Thanks for the tips!

Like I said before, for those who ride in the rain often, my tips are overstating the obvious...here in So Cal it drizzled yesterday. Last rain was maybe last March?

Maybe not so obvious to some of us... grin.gif

Ride on,

Steve in So Cal

Good tips, but as a returning rider (18 yrs without bncry.gif) I generally avoided the rain this first year back. Next year it is my mission to ride in the wet more often as I missed too many good days when the forcasters were wrong.

I do have a couple of questions though. What do you use to avoid fogging? I have been told Rain-X but have also been told that it will ruin my visor (as per the instructions).

When I first learned to ride the rule was "stay in the tire grove until the rain has accumilated then move into the center of the lane as the oils will have now moved into the tire groove"...is that still the current thought?

Last one, puddles, not little ones from the puppy but the big ones that come out into the lane and can be hard to avoid. What is the best approach for those?

Good tips, but as a returning rider (18 yrs without bncry.gif) I generally avoided the rain this first year back. Next year it is my mission to ride in the wet more often as I missed too many good days when the forcasters were wrong.

I do have a couple of questions though. What do you use to avoid fogging? I have been told Rain-X but have also been told that it will ruin my visor (as per the instructions).

When I first learned to ride the rule was "stay in the tire grove until the rain has accumilated then move into the center of the lane as the oils will have now moved into the tire groove"...is that still the current thought?

Last one, puddles, not little ones from the puppy but the big ones that come out into the lane and can be hard to avoid. What is the best approach for those?

For fogging, I don't use anything on the visor. I use that downdraft nosepiece on my Shoei that directs my breath downward. For the rare occasion when it might fog, I just open the visor up a crack till the fogging disappears and then it's back to normal.

IMHO, if it has rained 1/2" or more, it doesn't matter where you ride because the water has drained away with all the surface oils. If it's not drained away, then hydroplaning is the bigger problem to worry about. Specific exceptions might be in heavy metro intersections but that's about it.

I've experimented in puddles numerous times. Don't try to turn in them at speed because you will get a viscious feedback (left to right oscillating movement) to the handlebars. It's not a problem if you are used to it, but if you are not it can be unnerving. And if you actually need to turn, that's going to be tough. If you don't need to turn, the bike will continue in the general direction of travel inspite of the left to right oscillation of the handlebars until it emerges out of the puddle and snaps into the correct position. eek.gif Would I recommend hydroplaning at 100mph in heavy rain. Absolutely! It was the most excitement I had in the RT. clap.gif

AdventurePoser
Thanks for the tips!

Like I said before, for those who ride in the rain often, my tips are overstating the obvious...here in So Cal it drizzled yesterday. Last rain was maybe last March?

Maybe not so obvious to some of us... grin.gif

Ride on,

Steve in So Cal

Here's a weather update...this December has been the driest in recorded weather history. eek.gif

Haven't had any chance to practice those rain riding skills...

Cheers,

Steve

Well, in Seattle, we just had the wettest month (November) in recorded history. It broke the previous record from January 1933.

Sometimes we get too much practice.

But Steve you live in Pt. Townsend, part of the rain shadow area that includes Sequim. How much rain did you get? Our rain gauge filled up in November many times over, we forgot to drain it and it froze and cracked in December eek.gifgrin.gif Hey isn't Steve from Glendora moving to Sequim some day?. Wait a minute, I see some logic there, Steves are smart guys clap.gif

But Steve you live in Pt. Townsend, part of the rain shadow area that includes Sequim

You caught me Wade. Actually we didn't get that much "rain". It was the 70 knot winds (trees down across the road) and the 8" of snow that caused the real trouble.

I have no suggestions about how to ride in the snow. I just don't.

AdventurePoser
But Steve you live in Pt. Townsend, part of the rain shadow area that includes Sequim

You caught me Wade. Actually we didn't get that much "rain". It was the 70 knot winds (trees down across the road) and the 8" of snow that caused the real trouble.

I have no suggestions about how to ride in the snow. I just don't.

Steve,

We have the Santa Ana winds here that rake the southland every fall. So wind, I know about...

Snow OTOH... blush.gifblush.gif

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

I think the most important part of riding in the rain is to do everything you would normally do but do it smoother. People make mistakes when riding in dry weather that can go unnoticed....make the same mistakes in the wet and you will often find yourself sliding down the pavement on your butt. I get all of my braking done when straight up and down before the turns. Even when it is pouring rain (which it likes to do a lot here in Vancouver) you can brake almost as hard as you normally would in the dry, but leaning the bike over with any brake on whatsoever is a recipe for crashing. I also try to be smoother with the gas, both rolling on and off, smoother with the brakes (no quick on or off movements) and more gentle with my body movements.

It's like dancing grin.gif

Misti

... and more gentle with my body movements.

Misti

Teaser! grin.gif

(and welcome to the board. thumbsup.gif I couldn't break through the throngs of fans on your intro thread tongue.gif )

It's like dancing

Misti

Truly, check out Misti's web site for pics of her 'dancing' on her bike. I was particularly struck by one that shows her full over in a corner and her inside foot is just touching the end of the foot peg. Really nice form, I think.

Gettin wet. I would add that if it really looks like a good downpour, sit it out.

I hit a storm on a XC last spring and didn't follow this advise. It was obvious the clouds were very black, stopped and put on my rain gear.

Wind had come up but I was kind of exposed so decided to go to the next exit and sit it out. Mistake.

The road went down to two lanes, cliff on the inside, concrete abutment and river on the out.

Rain started, wind got worse, road was channeled so picked the ridge in the center.

Of course all oncoming cager traffic had no qualms about sending a torrent of water my way.

I came around a corner and the storm hit. I wear a Shuberth with air dam. Well its a water damn as well, my vent was open to prevent fogging and within 15 seconds water was up to my nose inside the helmet.

It was like riding in a water fall, hazards on, slow down and OMG an EXIT!!

Storm lasted maybe another 20 minutes - the memory - a life time. wink.gif

I think the most important part of riding in the rain is to do everything you would normally do but do it smoother...

Misti

I agree with Misti. It is like dancin'. Last year we had our SoCal BMW trackday @ Buttonwillow in the rain, and I tell ya it rained the whole time. So I figure let's make the best of it and practice on some wet weather ridin. Shoot I figure if those pro racer guyz can race in the wet I can at least survive a trackday in the wet dopeslap.gif. The first couple of sessions were real frustrating. I felt like I was on a tight rope goin all around the track. It wasn't until the third or fourth session when i started to loosen up and get comfortable. The key was staying smooth. I remember the lessons Jason Pridmore taught when I took his Star School, about being smooth. He taught us not to "man handle" the motorcycle in transitions and in turns. This only upsets the chasis. You have to be smooth in movin around the motorcycle. You wouldn't realize the amount of traction you can have in the wet. I got all my braking done before the turns which sort of eliminated trail braking. I think the key elements were being smooth on the throttle and on the brakes. It also helped that it was on the track which eliminated additional elements such as cars and pedestrians. So lead your motorcycle smoothly.

DSC_0839.jpg25-1.jpg

russell_bynum

I agree with Misti. It is like dancin'. Last year we had our SoCal BMW trackday @ Buttonwillow in the rain, and I tell ya it rained the whole time. So I figure let's make the best of it and practice on some wet weather ridin. Shoot I figure if those pro racer guyz can race in the wet I can at least survive a trackday in the wet

Totally. (Except...I can't really compare it to dancing because I dance kinda like Pee Wee Herman. eek.gif )

I had a trackday at Streets a couple of years ago...my first track day with the CBR600RR. I had a fresh set of Pilot Powers on the bike and the day started out dry. We had two sessions in the dry...just enough for me to get comfortable with the track and start picking up the pace. Then it rained.

Lots of people loaded up their stuff and went home. I waited for my session, and when it came, I headed out. Like Eddie, I was totally stiff on the bike and very nervous for the first few laps. Then I started playing around a little and loosened up. I was amazed at how hard I could brake coming up to the turns. All I had to do differently, was take a bit more time getting to max braking. Like...instead of going from no brakes to max brakes in .5 seconds, I'd do it in 1.5 seconds. Same with lean angle...I could get the bike pretty far over and it never even squirmed, as long as I made my turn smoothly.

It was tremendously educational.

I have never been to a track but in aggressive street riding in the wet, I've always taken my time to build up confidence and been smooth on transitions. The end result is a lot more speed than you anticipated.

On wet roads, I occaisionally "test" how much traction is available by hitting the rear brake hard momentarily to see what the skidding threshold is. This gives me an idea of how hard I can hit my brakes if the need arises.

Once the rain has had enough time to lift oils off the road surface, you would be suprised at the amount of traction you have available.

russell_bynum
On wet roads, I occaisionally "test" how much traction is available by hitting the rear brake hard momentarily to see what the skidding threshold is. This gives me an idea of how hard I can hit my brakes if the need arises.

Be careful with how abuptly you apply pressure. You can apply much more braking pressure if you come into it smoothly rather than just "stomping on the pedal".

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

If you think it's tough passing an 18-wheeler in the dry (what with wind and all) try passing in the rain. Main thing is to do it quickly.

My main reason for posting is to discuss Hydroplaning. NASA did a good study with lots of tires and lots of vehicles (including Jet Aircraft) and they determined that if there is sufficient water where hydroplaning could occur (not just normal wet street) the following equation determines when it will start to happen:

Speed = 10.35 x Sqrt (tire pressure). If your front tire is at 36psi, then hydroplaning can occur at or above 62mph. If the tire is at 25psi, hydroplaing speed drops to 52mph. So the message is to make sure your tires are properly inflated and keep your speed down.

Riding_in_Irving_TX

Nasa developped this formula! U sure?

The same formula predicts that if the tires were inflated to 100 psig, you would avoid hydroplanning at speed up to 100 mph, which obviously is not true.

When you see a stretch of water on the road, think about stone skipping and you are the stone....

So, I've noticed that people here (myself included) are using the word smooth an awful lot. So what exactly does smooth mean? What are some things you can do on a motorcycle to make you a smoother rider in the rain?

Food for thought...

Misti

BeniciaRT_GT

light yet assertive inputs... (if that makes sense?)

think, but don't move, in slow motion. You can slap a bike over to the lean angle you want, or you can get within milliseconds of slap speed to the same place/angle, but do it with more "touch."

I think part of "smooth" is feeling the bike. Like you said, you are dancing, but when you lead you don't push the lady around, you guide and respond to how and where she is going.

I don't know if I can describe it on short notice like this when you call us out!!! grin.gifblush.gif

BeniciaRT_GT

The same formula predicts that if the tires were inflated to 100 psig, you would avoid hydroplanning at speed up to 100 mph, which obviously is not true.

When you see a stretch of water on the road, think about stone skipping and you are the stone....

I also gotta ask about that one too...

Slicks vs. rain tires are equal? 120 width is the same as a 340 width? 60,000lb. truck is the same as a 2200 lb. car?

I thin there might be a lot more to the formula than that, no?

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

Yup, that's true, and it's especially applicable to commercial aircraft.

Here't the summary:

NASA has performed extensive tests and developed a formula that is applicable to all size aircraft. With sufficient water (0.1 inch), hydroplaning will occur at and above the speed predicted by this formula.

NASA critical speed = 9 * (SQRT P)

The hydroplaning speed in knots (NASA critical speed) is equal to 9 times the square root of the tire pressure (pounds per square inch).

It is nearly impossible to land an airplane at a speed below the NASA critical speed, but pilot adhering to the following techniques can reduce the effects of hydroplaning.

Approach to land at the slowest airspeed consistent with safety, that is, the short-field landing technique.

Land firmly, rather than making the smooth, “greaser-type” landing.

Lower the nose wheel to the surface as soon as the main wheels are firmly on the surface.

Know the NASA critical speed and avoid heavy braking above this speed.

Retract the flaps immediately after landing to place more weight on the tires.

Divert to an alternate airport when conditions indicate hydroplaning potential on runways experiencing a strong crosswind.

TIRE

PRESSURE

HYDROPLANING KNOT/MPH

30 PSI

49/57 (KNOTS/MPH)

57/66

64/73

70/80

75/87

80 (PSI)

81/93 (KNOTS/MPH)

A slick runway surface producing hydroplaning is normally thought of as a surface with standing water associated with rain, but it can also be created by ice, snow, frost and dew.

(Keep this information in mind while driving to the airport, this formula will work for your car too! )

russell_bynum

I also gotta ask about that one too...

Slicks vs. rain tires are equal? 120 width is the same as a 340 width? 60,000lb. truck is the same as a 2200 lb. car?

I thin there might be a lot more to the formula than that, no?

I agree.

If nothing else, you would think that there would be a point of diminishing returns and you can't just keep jacking up the tire pressure infinitely to keep the thing from hydroplaning.

Logically...I would think that a wider tire is going to hydroplane eaiser than a narrow one. And a tire with grooves to help the water get out from under the tire's contact patch is going to work better than a slick tire. And it would seem logical that a heavier vehicle is going to resist hydroplaning more than a light one, all else being equal because it's putting more weight on each contact patch to squeeze the water out of the way.

ShovelStrokeEd

Let's not forget profile as well as tread pattern and depth. Car and truck tires are essentially square in profile. Airplane tires are rounded more but, on the ground, they present an essentially square profile. Not so our motorcycle tires, they are round in section and present a more oval profile at the contact patch. In addition, the grooves in the tread are specifically designed to funnel water out from under the contact patch. In fact, they act like pumps to that effect.

As to the smooth thing, IMHO, the most important aspect of that is your vision. The key to avoiding having to make sudden moves is anticipation. That means opening up your awareness to your surroundings and, in particular, the road ahead. What are the cars doing? Is there a big truck up forward whose spray pattern is going to reduce visibility? What kind of rain is it? Heavy? Light? Has it been raining all day or is this one of those 3 mile wide popcorn thunderstorms? Is the nature of the rain changing? All effect what I am doing at the time and how I approach a given situation.

So, I've noticed that people here (myself included) are using the word smooth an awful lot. So what exactly does smooth mean? What are some things you can do on a motorcycle to make you a smoother rider in the rain?

Food for thought...

Misti

I think a smooth rider is one who is not "fighting" the motorcycle. If you are fighting a motorcycle to turn or do what you want then you are not being comfortable and "loose" on the motorcycle and hence are not smooth in your actions. Don't get me wrong... smooth does not mean slow either. I found that being comfortable and smooth on the motorcycle has cut down my lap times considerably and allowed me to focus on my reference points a lot more without having to worry about "fighting" the motorcycle. Just my .02 cents thumbsup.gif

russell_bynum

Food for thought...

Misti

Stuman posed that same question back in '05 and I think rrrich came up with the best definition: Rounded vector change graphs. here's the thread, if you're interested.

On my first track day last year at Black Hawk Farms, I had just put a new set of Pilot Powers on the SV650. The first three sessions were dry, the next three sessions were wet. I actually felt more comfortable in the wet, after I had learned the track, and dialed in the suspension a little bit. My last lap times, although nothing to get excited about, were comparable to my morning dry lap times.

Those Pilot Power tires are AMAZING in the wet.

The best part was most everyone had gone home, and my buddy and I had the entire track to ourselves.

I no longer am intimidated by wet weather, in fact with all the weather protection on the RT, I actually enjoy it.

Now darkness and Deer, that's another story...

• 3 weeks later...
Let's not forget profile as well as tread pattern and depth.

Key factor. I've ridden through severe rain storms at highway speeds. Whenever I hit water-filled truck tracks or puddles, the bike would noticeable slow, pitching me forward as if I had hit the brakes.

But the bike did not aquaplan.

Bruno

Montreal, Canada

http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides

Gerbing Cascade Extreme jacket review

:

Of all the factors that will help you stay alive while ridin’ in the wet, your own situational awareness and skills level is the most important.

Since I do probably half of my touring miles in all types of rain, I've come to rely on what works for me to keep me safe and moving forward.

One of the things that I find really works for me is to make sure that I'm looking out far enough in relation to my speed.

When we get anxious or tensed, as when caught in dark, blustery rain storms, we can sometimes tend to look closer down to our front wheel. That means that we only percieve something when it's upon us, requiring quick input and reaction = abrupt input.

In bad conditions I consider it even more important for me to look further away. That way I can better anticipate what's coming. Means I have more time to either slow down or accelerate or make a change. Allows me to be smoother with inputs. And since traction is lower in the wet, smoothness of input becomes more critical.

Bruno

Montreal, Canada

http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides

Gerbing Cascade Extreme jacket review

Archived