IGNORED

Heated Handgrip Failure

photojournalyst

photojournalyst

My left heated grip no longer heats. And since I live in Michigan and am still riding, this is a bit of a problem. I have no the least bit idea how to trouble shoot and possible fix this. I could use any help that I get.

Thanks!

If you need to remove the handgrip from the bike, be sure to disconnect and slacken the wire that feeds through the center of the handlebar, then meets the handgrip at its outer end. (At least, that was how it worked on my old K-bike.) If you just pull the handgrip off, it will break the wire under the rubber grip coating, and you'll have to split and peel that back to re-solder, then fix the peel with silicome caulk or somesuch--not very pretty. If your wire feeds through the middle of the handlebar, it can be difficult to re-feed it back through. Use a piece of nylon string as a lead and vacuum it through with a ShopVac, then pull the attached wire through and out.

Best to start your diagnosis with continuity checks and look for a simple loose connection.

photojournalyst

Apologies on not giving the bike type. '95 R1100R, 51k. Everything works well. Side note, the horn stopped working for a few days, and is back. It's on the same side as the failed heat. I'm not sure where or how to do the continuity checks, but I've got a multi-meter and I'm ready to use it.

The connector running to each side is just under the front edge of the tank. Pull the tank, then disconnect each side and measure the resistance and compare working to non-working side. That should give you a direction to head.

The connectors themselves have been a bit problematic, so it may be as simple as cleaning them up.

I've had trouble this fall with my heated grips also. I installed them myself on my 99 Boston Green 1100RT (the most beautiful BMW ever). Anyway they simply quit this year. I inspected the fuse, connections and voltages and all looked good except the problem seems to focus on the switch. I have gotten them to work with a few extra on/off

cycles and hope the problem has cleared itself now, but will probably have to dismantle/clean or replace the switch.

Archived