IGNORED

battery tender hookup on R1100RTP - first post

HRminneapolis

HRminneapolis

I bought a 2001 R1100RTP on auction from CHP, and have a winter storage question. I am new to BMW's and this board. The bike is at my brother's farm for the winter, and I would like suggestions on how I can keep the battery from dying in storage. I searched and see that some people have been using battery tenders, and I use them on my Honda. But I haven't touched the BMW yet. Can someone suggest a Search I can do, or a connector that I can have my brother rig up to maintain the battery. TIA!

-Harold

I use a Battery Tender Jr. Have the leads connected to the battery terminals, the lead has an SAE connector. I'd make sure the battery is topped off, if it is a water battery, clean the terminals, make the connections, plug it in and wait for warm weather. You can also put a BMW plug on the wire from the tender and plug it into one of the outlets on the bike. No big deal really.

You can't go wrong with the Deltran batt tender JR.

They are inexpensive at around 20 bucks. Here in CAL they have them at Pep Boys under 20!

Just remove your seat and loosen the batt connections and throw in the tender leads. Your good for the winter. Check levels in batt first as mentioned if it's not the sealed type.

You need the male plug for the accessory socket if the RTP has such a beast. I bought mine at the local John Deere dealer which is a perfect fit. May not have cost any less but saves mail ordering hassles, etc.

Good Luck,

Bruce

Your link did not work but the plug you would need is the std BMW male plug, assuming you have an outlet socket as pointed out. You can just use the SAE connection that comes with the battery tender though, pretty unobtrusive.

Does your RT-P have BOTH batteries still installed with no changes to the wiring?

If you want to keep both batteries charged, get a battery tender, a splitter cable (which they sell pre-made), and TWO male BMW plugs. Run one to the dash outlet plug, and another to the rear outlet plug on the runner board behind the shift lever.

Both batteries are isolated so you need to charge both, at least that's my experience.

It's a piece of cake once you get the battery tender and plugs.

DOOO EEEIIIITTT!!!

PS - Front socket charges the aux battery, rear socket charges main battery...

Let me add a question to your post. Is it safe to charge a battery through the BMW accessory plug? And if so, do they make a charger specifically for a gel type battery? Not meaning to hijack.

It has been written many times that it is safe to do so. The charger that used to come with the bikes included alligator clips and an adapter for the charger cord with the plug on it already.

Archived